BH_Composites

Full-face GoPro Mount Opinions

Horrible mount option. From what I am understanding if the jumper jumps with out the GoPro attached then they have a piece that is just sticking out there waiting to jab into someone.

The only option that would work to remove the mount is taking the face shield off, removing the mount and then putting the face shield back on. If this is correct this effectively means the jumpers will never take that off and will just disconnect the camera and leave the mount. There has already been an instance of the mounting plate on the GoPro snagging on another jumpers jumpsuit, had this been there instead the jumper would have been jabbed/stabbed instead.

I don't see the need to have a GoPro mounted on a Fullface with a moveable visor to begin with since jumpers will either flip the visor up under canopy and then the camera is sitting there ready to be entangled in the slider or the jumpers will need to leave the face shield down which defeats the purpose of the moveable visor.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks for posting so quickly. I appreciate the help. I must say I agree with you. My reason for sharing this idea is so I can hopefully come up with a safe way to mount the GoPro. The physical format of the GoPro doesn't really allow too many possibilities and many will want to. Another option is off a folding bracket mounted to the chin. When the camera is removed, the thin bracket can be folded up to the helmets profile. This may be a better option. I've always just felt cameras go on camera helmets but now with the mini GoPro and Contour, people want to stick them to everything. Just trying to give them what they want.. Thanks again and hope for some fresh ideas. I'll keep at it though something will work out. Cheers
Bonehead Composites
(951) 943-1166
www.boneheadcomposites.com
www.facebook.com/boneheadcomposites

Hey,

I'm wondering what you all think about the attached mount for a GoPro on a full face. Any opinions, suggestions or general feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

How about a bridge that steps over the button on top of the shield: a flat bar that's as tall as the GoPro , yet a little wider. Flip the GoPro upside down & put the mount point at top of the bar. GoPro housing sits flush against the bar. This way there's no small mount point at bottom for a line to go around. There could be a plastic piece on the flat bar... the GoPro housing sinks into the plastic shroud & prevents lines from going around the outside or bottom of the GoPro. Try snagging something on it if made the way I have it in my head.. snagging would be very difficult.

That requires more custom parts than are in your original design, tho

Well this is something I would like to see on some helmets:

You see how the stock go pro mounts that you 3M to your helmet are just 3 rails.

I think it would be best if you could mold those 3 rails at a convenient place on the helmet so that when you slide your gopro off, only those 3 small rails stick out, snag free.

It could even be kind of recessed into the helmet like a sort of rail.
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9

Chris,
What about a "fin" like the military helmet you built has, the allows for a "drop in" for either the GP or the Contour?
Or a secondary piece that can be purchased separately and installed via screws like the flat top adapter you used to make?

A big problem with mounting cameras to a fullface helmet like the Z1 is the inability to install a single point cutaway on such a helmet. This makes it a more dangerous camera helmet to jump, and is simply not allowed in various countries/DZs.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

My reason for sharing this idea is so I can hopefully come up with a safe way to mount the GoPro

You have several safe ways to mount the GoPro available, and you accurately descirbe them here -

I've always just felt cameras go on camera helmets

I vote you include a note with every non-camera helmet stating that you reccomend against mounting cameras to non-camera specific helmets. Let's face it, jumpers don't listen to anyone anyway, so toss the note in the box and forget about it.

Not to mention, the GoPro is just today's 'new toy', and as soon as a better, newer toy comes out, everyone will be ditching the GoPros and lining up to buy that one. Don't waste your time trying to figure out how to mount the latest 'fad'.

It's just like jumping any other camera, if you want to jump it, first you have to figure out how to mount it. Of course, 'you' means each jumper, not you, the Bonehead guy.

You should start selling those mirrors...
I know a lot of GoPro (still dont get the 'pro' part) users who frequently delay exits, mess up the spot, and annoy fellow jumpers trying to focus on an exit with that question..

With regards to the mounting options. The cleanest option would be having 2 slots/slits in the helmet (be it on top/side), with the camera 'clicking' in (maybe with a simple metal ball/spring locking it, instead of the screw/locking pin). Eliminating the whole 'spacer' mounting options (creating quite a bit of height/distance from the helmet)

How-ever, making a simple platform or connector (be it round or square) that can simply be clicked onto the helmet as a seperate unit, on which you attach any type of small camera (gopro/contour etc), would allow for simply removing the whole camera and mount. And if GoPro or any other brand switched mounts, also not invalidate the whole helmet design.

With the parts sticking out, having some form of cutaway on the visor (if the camera attaches to that part) would be advisable (even manditory in some smarter countries)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

We have developed a GoPro camera protection.
It lets you set the camera more attached to the helmet, which greatly lower the chances of entanglement.

You can see it here:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=101506;d=1

And coming soon in our web site: www.exitcomposites.com

Best regards!

It takes a hundred pounds of force to break that tape loose from your helmet.
If something catches on it i'd want less than that to save my head!

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

After my Contour was ripped off of the side of my REvolve helmet after a wingsuit jump by my riser, I decided to figure how to mount my GoPro on top of my REvolve helmet.
Here is a way I mounted my GoPro. I used the latch on top of the helmet as a base to mount the GoPro curved mount. I used the screw in this area of the helmet. I countersunk it into the GoPro curved mount. This screw with the adhesive gave a very secure fit and put the GoPro in a really good position for recording. Pics are included in this post. It would be nice if this plastic piece better formed to the Go Pro adhesive mount. This could be a change BH could make.

Another way Could be to make an independent latch mount that can move on the latch rail. It would need to have a surface that matches the Go Pro adhesive mount. The nice thing about this would be it can move anywhere on the latch rail, which would allow the GoPro to be mounted reverse to view behind you, which rocks for wingsuit flights. It would also work with the visor off.

In the end the REvolve helmet is great. I jumped it in 15 degree temps and it was not only warm as hell but quiet, and did not fog during flight.

Just my 2 cents:)

Mark
Base# 1638

Wow, what a good idea! Any safety issues with this approach? If not, I am going for this option. Thanks for the info.

Chris

Well yes:

A big problem with mounting cameras to a fullface helmet like the Z1 is the inability to install a single point cutaway on such a helmet. This makes it a more dangerous camera helmet to jump, and is simply not allowed in various countries/DZs.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

After my Contour was ripped off of the side of my REvolve helmet after a wingsuit jump by my riser, I decided to figure how to mount my GoPro on top of my REvolve helmet.
Here is a way I mounted my GoPro. I used the latch on top of the helmet as a base to mount the GoPro curved mount. I used the screw in this area of the helmet. I countersunk it into the GoPro curved mount. This screw with the adhesive gave a very secure fit and put the GoPro in a really good position for recording. Pics are included in this post. It would be nice if this plastic piece better formed to the Go Pro adhesive mount. This could be a change BH could make.

Another way Could be to make an independent latch mount that can move on the latch rail. It would need to have a surface that matches the Go Pro adhesive mount. The nice thing about this would be it can move anywhere on the latch rail, which would allow the GoPro to be mounted reverse to view behind you, which rocks for wingsuit flights. It would also work with the visor off.

In the end the REvolve helmet is great. I jumped it in 15 degree temps and it was not only warm as hell but quiet, and did not fog during flight.

Just my 2 cents:)

Mark

ive done the exact same thing. however, my next step is to route a cable through where the gopro screw normally goes, with a handle on one side of it that is velcroed flush to the side of my helmet. this way i can yank the cutaway handle and let the camera jettison straight up in the event of a snag. im planning on mounting tiny arms in front and back of the camera to keep it from pitching forward or backwards...............i will post pictures as soon as i modify the mount and build the bracket.
gravity brings me down.........