PhreeZone

New goodies from Canon

Looks like Canon just released another round of products:

EOS 60D - 18 megapixels and a flip out screen with video
8-15 f4L Fisheye 540 grams in weight
70-300L f/4.5-5.6 IS USM This one has me really interested for a general longer zoom
EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM New IS mode that is said to give a 4 stop boost
EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Extender EF 1.4x III
Extender EF 2x III
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't know anyone who regularly jumps L glass for tandems, no.
I do know people that jump L glass regularly.
I jump the 15mm or the 24mm for most of my tandems unless it's a commercial shoot, and then it's L glass.

I don't know anyone who regularly jumps L glass for tandems, no.
I do know people that jump L glass regularly.
I jump the 15mm or the 24mm for most of my tandems unless it's a commercial shoot, and then it's L glass.

Makes sense for a commercial shoot and i certainly see the difference good glass makes. I made the mistake of borrowing a lens from our photographer when she was taking baby picsB| B&H is evil!:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

B&H is evil but so are a few of the used sites online... I've got in trouble on those by saying "Thats a GREAT deal! I should get it while its still for sale!"

I'm not looking for a 70-300 L. Damn you Canon!
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Great shots!

Love the DOF on that Basket piece!

thanks guys! I figured i have had this 20D since they came out it was about time i learned how to use it.:$ Got a new 50mm 1.4 the other day for some portrait work i want to do. It isn't L glass but i'm working on it.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

One thing to consider when wanting to grow in Photography (especially on the ground) is that you can get an FD to EF mount cheap.
You can get GREAT SMOKIN' deals on old FD lenses.
you'll lose autofocus, but who uses that on the ground anyway?
I have a Nikkor 50mm 1.2 lens, a 105mm 1.4, and an 85mm 1.2 that I love.
All manual, but amazing glass

I love being able to use old lenses, too. I have several myself. With live view, manual focusing is easier than ever.

FD might be a good choice for NEXs or micro4/3. But the FD to EF adapter requires/has correction lens for shorter registration distance. I have not heard good thing about these adapters with correction lenses. Which one do you use for your 85 1.2?

Edit: I was assuming you are using EF cameras.

Do you or anyone you know regularly jump L glass?

I only use the 17-40mm f/4L USM lens on a 40D.

It's a heavy bitch, but i feel it's worth the extra weight.

I jump my 24-105mm L lens on my 5D on occasion's I'm not using my 50mm Prime. It is a bit more weight but nothing drastic IMO.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

One thing to consider when wanting to grow in Photography (especially on the ground) is that you can get an FD to EF mount cheap.
You can get GREAT SMOKIN' deals on old FD lenses.
you'll lose autofocus, but who uses that on the ground anyway?
I have a Nikkor 50mm 1.2 lens, a 105mm 1.4, and an 85mm 1.2 that I love.
All manual, but amazing glass

I would love get a cheap very sharp wide angle FD lens for my xTi. What do you recommend?
Thank you.

4DBill

They are kinda hard to find, because FD was for 35mm, so a 17mm lens is quite wide, but not so wide on an APSC sensor.
The 17mm f4 lens is nice n' cheap. There is a 10mm f2.8 around that I've seen references to online but never seen one in real life.

fd to ef converters have problems

"When it comes to adapting FD lenses to EOS cameras the key difference here is the lens register incompatibility. Adapters for Canon FD-mount lenses, including the two adapter models that Canon themselves sold at one point, must deal with this incompatibility somehow. Either they contain optics (glass lens elements) to compensate for the register difference and retain infinity focus or else they don’t contain optics and don’t retain infinity focus. There’s no way around this.

Canon’s optic-containing FD-lens-on-EOS-body adapters were basically small teleconverters (1.26x) and only worked properly with a number of their longer telephoto lenses - effectively transforming them into longer slower lenses - you lost 2/3 stop. The full official list of compatible lenses is:

FD 200mm 1.8 L
FD 200mm 2.8 RF
FD 300mm 2.8 L
FD 300mm 4
FD 300mm 4 L
FD 400mm 2.8 L
FD 400mm 4.5
FD 500mm 4.5 L
FD 600mm 4.5
FD 800mm 5.6 L
FD 50-300mm 4.5 L
FD 85-300mm 4.5
FD 150-600mm 5.6 L

Third parties have made similar glass-containing adapters, but by contrast their optics are usually poor and thus image quality tends to be generally low."

taken from http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-manual-lenses/

however I have used Nikon lenses with canon cameras quite succesfully - mainly using aperture priority.
You can pick up some some old nikon glass from ebay priced quite reasonably
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

That's a nice bit of info, Gary. As mentioned, I'm using the Nikkor/Nikon lenses (they translate nicely to PL), but I see a lot of people in the wedding industry using FC converters, and what I've seen looks better than the link you posted would suggest.

One guy in particular, Chris Watson, had some great vid and stills he'd shot with vintage Vivitar FD lenses.
He may have content online...from Manitoba, IIRC.