base851

Sony Alpha NEX Series

Yup I played with flip screen, actually pretty stiff, so im confident in freefall it wouldnt open.

Has anybody used the panorama sweep for any cool photos,
eg: in the plane/door open

I think more mirrorless slrs will appear on the market, maybe the next sony nex version will have a shutter release port.

I may be tempted this summer for your mod JayR

Kai

more questions

the nex 3 has a nice flat base for contact, but the nex 5 seems to up and down, how is it mounting?

are we gonna see any freefall pics? in door shots?

the normal mode is 2.3fps, but in speed priority its 7fps, what does it set the shutter speed at? is it like sports mode?

oh, the e series lenses have sony OIS built into the lenses, whats the story with that.

ta for your info, im still hopefull on gen 2 having shutter port

i have my nex 5 mounted on a gold member quick release and havnt had any issues, it has plenty enough mating surface to sit flat and snug when mounted.

i have been playing with the settings and lenses to figure out what works best for the paticular shots im taking, speed priority is significantly faster and if your shooting in manual focus then you can adjust the apeture and shutter speed to your liking... not to sure about your question on the ois and the lenses, i do know that you can get adapters to change to other lenses besides sonys... hope this helps

still working on getting those pictures

Just got my camera from JayR. Sent him money feb 2 and have it in my hand now (feb 14). Amazon haven't been able to send stuff to me that fast (live in Sweden) and they don't have to go out and buy the things themself or make modifications..

Can write more about it and send pictures etc. when I got it mounted and everything.

blue ones!

The 16mm pancake lens that Sony makes has worked well for me and others that I know are jumping this camera, havnt had the opportunity of using a fishers attachment yet (still saving up for the 18-200 mm lens for other uses...) but I know theyre out there. Hope this helps, feel free to message me any questions
Blue skies
justin

I have used it for video on fun jumps and doing video for friends but have yet to use it on tandems as i usually shoot tandems in standard def rather than high def. Works great, Ive considered mounting two, one for vid one for stills the only thing thats kept me from doin this is the lack of a hyp-eye compatability but im working on a wired mod for this...

I haven't shot freefall footage with it, but the stills are pretty damn tight and fast. It's simple, the macro shots are easy and quick (in comparison to my 100mm prime canon lens). You can see macro shots in my past few articles (CX160). The IR port is slow so a mod is necessary for using it in freefall. I just did this mod this weekend and must say it takes a long time and is extremely technical. Whomever is offering this for $200 is a good deal.

For those people thinking about doing it, I did video the mod and wrote about it on my blog. Check it out here Adding a Wired Shutter Release Switch to a Sony NEX-5
HYPOXIC

Yeah. sorry, been meaning to get these up. Heres some exit shots i took last weekend along with deployment and landing, take in mind im not a world class freefall photographer by anymeans and im using the autofocus but you get the idea

*Bump

For those of you that have been modding the NEX5, where did you solder your wires? Directly on the switch pads (Like Trunk @ GetHypoxic) or on the test pads further down on the PCB? It feels like it’s very easy to accidently short the whole switch if there gets some solder between any of the connections and the metal top of the switch. Would the test pads be easier and would it work like in my picture? (Screen dump from GetHypoxics video)

I’ve managed to dissemble and put everything together on my NEX5 once but I feel kind of afraid of the soldering part… Tricks for it anyone?

I would ohm out the GND pad since I think that screw needs to be installed to short it. There should be a ground on the battery though. Be careful about soldering to the switch since it is not sealed and flux may destroy the switch. Best of luck!
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC

Just did the shutter modification on my NEX5n. The dismantling was easy on this model, only five-six screws. Soldering to the shutter switch was more tricky, but it can be done. Struggled more with making the final result look nice outside the cam. Happy with the mod and can`t wait to try it out.

I am now curious about what preferences and settings people are using when taking pictures or video during freefall.

Seems like mp4 is more easy than AVCHD? Have anyone tried the mp4 file with Cineform?

Have both a 16mm and a 18-55mm lense.

Appreciate any advice and tips on my way!

Pete