pilotsR4pimps

Canon Rebel XS- Bite Switch Problem

Just went and tested mine, the only way I could get it to do the same thing was if I removed the 2.5 slowly so that the last part (closest to the plastic part) of the plug was not in all the way, it would pop up the flash and fire a shot.

However if I plugged in and removed quickly it would not... it also seems that adding in a small amount of jiggle helped make it happen... I would have tried the same test on my XTi but the tip of the 2.5 mm broke off and now I have to replace it. Never had that problem on my 20d.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

so now it's working.... but not everytime. It might work for like 30 seconds, everytime i bite/press but then it might just start snapping for like 5 pics, then go back to working properly with the switch. Then it might not work at all. I have it pushed in all the way until it cant go any further. When I rotate the 2.5 jack it beeps from time to time. Very frustrating...

i figured it out... it's the switch itself. and not the bite part. i plugged it in, and moved the 32" wire around and it would come on and off and if i left in just the right spot it would be fine... this is near the end and the part where it inserts the camera is not moving so it has to be the wire itself... dammit, just got it today.

An actual short in the wire can be a real bitch to find it's true location. Try to replace the 2.5mm plug, if you think you have the actual spot of the short, cut open the heat wrap covering and expose the wires to find the short and splice in about the short... Then a simple wire from radio shack will work and soldering in the replacements. It should be an easy fix.

I've always used a blow switch and made all my own wires and plugs for 20d, XTi & XS, wired up a few other peoples too.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo