DownplaneDave

In the market for a new HD video camera

I was wondering if anyone had some input on helping me with my decision on a new HD video camera that supports a media card. I was looking at the Sony HDR-CX150 but was not fond of the media card being loaded from the bottom. I jump a Flat Top Pro so this would require me to remove my quick release every time I need to change cards. Which would be every Tandem video since we utilize a staff editor to assist with production. I also looked at the CX-12 because it did load from the side but wasn't sure if anyone had jumped this camera. I do like the HDR-CX100 / CX150 but I've heard stories about lens glare from the sun during skydives. Has anyone experienced this? I am also in the market for a new freefly helmet to support this camera. I have always had side-mount freefly helmets since I sometimes like to throw in my still camera so this would be a nice option to continue but would consider a top mount freefly helmet if anyone has some suggestions. I want something good, but i don't want to break the bank. If anyone has any suggestions or comments they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave

I have my CX105 in a tonfly box, with some foam in it. No shake. Room for extended battery (the 70 one, not the 100). I do have to USE an extended battery, otherwise I'd have to fill-up the space and might get shake. I also use a big lens (raynox 3032 or opteka .3), not sure if this would work with a small/low profile lens. I'm sure there are just as good-fitting boxes for a CX150, CX115 etc, and otherwise you can MAKE it fit snugly ;)

I use a hype-eye to turn on/off my camera. What room do you need? I put the hype-eye button on my helmet, filed out a little slot to route the cable next to my lens, route the cable plus plug inside.

With this setup it doesn't matter where the cardslot is located as you remove/lift-up the camera anyway.

Only downside to this kind of setup is you cannot use the screen when you film (tandems), but I'm used to that.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Cookie has a new version of the flat lock mount that has a section cut out to provide access to the media card slot. You just release the camera from the mount and you don't have to take off the plate.

The flatlock is quite big though? Can you comfortable mount 2 next to each other on a normal-plate FTP?

ciel bleu,
Saskia

>I have a FTP too, but I just drop my CX105 in its box, close box, jump, repeat.

Do you disconnect and reconnect the Hypeye every jump? That's one thing I am trying to avoid (connector wear.)

Nope. I just lift out the camera, put it on a box next to the helmet that's the right height and leave it on there to charge if it needs to. It stays connected to the helmet. Unless I have to debrief using a TV and even then I tend to steer the debriefing parties to a laptop :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

>It stays connected to the helmet.

So you have enough slack in the cable to be able to pull it away from the camera? That could work.

But I don't get why you would take it out at all, then. I mean, if the goal is to charge it, can't you just charge it while it's on the helmet?

>It stays connected to the helmet.

But I don't get why you would take it out at all, then. I mean, if the goal is to charge it, can't you just charge it while it's on the helmet?

I can, but I always leave the screen open when there's no memory card in there (as a hint to myself) and with the screen open the camera hangs awkwardly in the box. Setting it down next to the helmet is more secure.

ciel bleu,
Saskia