tylerexpress

Jumping with 2 CX110 cameras

Looking for a little help here.

I've been flying camera for the last several hundred jumps and Im looking to update my gear. I bought a new Bonehead Flat Top narrow and a CX110. I was wondering if I could get another CX110 to replace my DSLR to save on weight. Does anyone do this? I want to run one CX110 in video mode and the other one in still mode using a Hype Eye on each camera. I saw there was there is an option for the Hype Eye for taking stills. Any info on this would be great.
Thomas C Tyler
AKA
T-MAN

I've been flying camera for the last several hundred jumps and Im looking to update my gear. I bought a new Bonehead Flat Top narrow and a CX110. I was wondering if I could get another CX110 to replace my DSLR to save on weight. Does anyone do this? I want to run one CX110 in video mode and the other one in still mode using a Hype Eye on each camera. I saw there was there is an option for the Hype Eye for taking stills. Any info on this would be great.

bad idea. The cx110 only takes a 3.1 megapixel still and the rate of fire is low. Don't short the customer on quality of product. The go pro stills aren't bad you just cant control when it takes them since its a continuous shot on a timer. Suck it up buttercup and use a decent camera to give the customer a decent product

The average tandem student will also print their photos out and at 1.5mpx you are looking at anything larger then a 3*5 getting pixels showing.

You are being paid for a professional product, deliver professional results. ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You are being paid for a professional product, deliver professional results. ;)

So where exactly do you get paid for a professional product ? The most I have seen is around 30-40 bucks for the stills, which is just about enough for a passport photo if you buy it from a professional. :P

Anyways, if minimum weight is the objective, why not get a Canon G10 compact or similar ?

So where exactly do you get paid for a professional product ? The most I have seen is around 30-40 bucks for the stills, which is just about enough for a passport photo if you buy it from a professional.

True, a portrait photographer will command a higher price than the typical skydiving photographer, but at the same time the portrait photog has a much bigger overhead in equipment as well. I can buy a Rebel for less then $500 and deliver a high quality product in the skydiving market, where a portrait photog is looking at $5000 (min.) to deliver a professional quality product in that market.

In terms of 'quality', I'm an old school guy who started on 35mm film cameras (stills) where you could expect to get a nice, crisp, 11x14 print. As such, moving forward into digital stills, I maintain that is a good 'standard', and any digital still that cannot be enlarged to that size with good quality is sub-par, and below what customers should be able to 'expect'.

To that end, I work at a DZ where we used to shoot a roll of stills on every jump, and then would do the 'after sell' on the stills. Since no preview was available, we would typically wait until they were watching the video, and then point out that the stills would look silimlar to that. The 'deal maker', however, was a wall full of 8x10 and 11x14 prints pulled from rolls that were not bought, but we processed anyway based on the camera flyers claim that there were good shots in there. Once you would point out those pics, and the look and quality of the enlargements, most folks would buy the film.

I bought a new Bonehead Flat Top narrow and a CX110. I was wondering if I could get another CX110 to replace my DSLR to save on weight.

Unless you got tons of other stuff mounted on it, switching helmet might be a better option. Especially if you got the stills mounted on your forehead. You'd save as much weight with a cookie MXV instead of your FTN as you would replacing your DSLR(+kit lens) with a cx110.

Jonathan

>You are being paid for a professional product, deliver professional results.

Not really; you're being paid as little as the DZO can get away with (mainly because everyone wants to "make money jumping.") But given that even mediocre consumer gear has gotten really good lately, there's no reason _not_ to deliver good pictures.

>You are being paid for a professional product, deliver professional results.

Not really; you're being paid as little as the DZO can get away with (mainly because everyone wants to "make money jumping.") But given that even mediocre consumer gear has gotten really good lately, there's no reason _not_ to deliver good pictures.

Ha ha.. the consumer pays for a professional product, but the photographer gets paid as little...

I like your view on this Bill.. and it's so true..

thanks for all the replies,,, i was just wondering what others were doing and i liked the 110 alot but i wasnt sure how well it would do. I dont want to take away from the experience of the first time jumpers for sure. i will keep the DSLR for my still shots.

In the future we may have to option of mounting everything on our little finger with the way things are going
Thomas C Tyler
AKA
T-MAN

i would rather shoot video with the gopro and keep a good DSLR.

I guess its just which one you think is better. Personally most of the time in most conditions, the video from the GoPro is hardly distinguishable from the CX. The audio sux, but that can be helped by exposing the mic on the GoPro. (shoot the interview out of the housing.) And the low light blows.

HOw often do you manipulate the lens or the manual settings on the CX to get better video??? My guess is hardly any at all.
But a DSLR offers you those options and they make a BIG difference. I wouldnt want to lose those abilities. So i would rather let the GoPro shoot video while I rock out the badass stills. Also people are more likely to need high quality stills for printing and such. The video is just going on youtube or facebook or something. And with exception of low light the GOPro shoots very acceptable quality video.
i'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your packing tent down

... to save on weight...

Hello,

If you are worried about the weight, take a look at the Ricoh Digital photo camera models. You can find some post about this subject on the forum.

For example: Ricoh GXR/GX200 Camera body, Approx 200 g vs Canon 550D Approx. 530g, without lens.

See more in this link, http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3831849;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
Ricoh website. http://www.ricoh.com/r_dc/professional.html
Nuno Lobo Paulo
Skydive Ultimate Switch . www.ultimate-switch.com
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 00351 919 327 315

if u shoot in hd mode u can grab a decent still off the footage. My ones end up around the 1.5mb in size. Thats pretty good for the average joe who is viewing it on a computer.

But a HD grab will only be around 2.1 MegaPixel
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232