dima39

GoPro HD - problem with USB connection

My GoPro HD now has problem with USB connection - it's can charge battery, but can't be recognized in computer like USB drive :(.
I connected it with different cables to different computers - same problem, without results.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I'm living in Russia, so send it in US for repair - very long end expensive solution.

Mine sometimes does that- if you plug it into a USB port the red charging indicator comes on but I can't get it into USB transfer mode. However, in the past when that has happened, I just left it in the charging mode until it was done charging (red light off). When I reconnected it after that, the USB connection worked again. I just assumed it meant that the battery was low enough that the USB transfer couldn't work.

If you connect it via USB while the camera is off there won't be any file transfer connection, only the charging of the battery..

However if you turn on the camera and then plug in the USB there will be a normal file transfer connection regardless if the battery is half charged or low or whatever..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

However if you turn on the camera and then plug in the USB there will be a normal file transfer connection regardless if the battery is half charged or low or whatever..

It worked before for files transfer - doesn't work now (no USB symbol on display)... It's filming, playing on TV, charging - but can't transfer files to computer.

May be connectors on main-board inside camera damaged during connecting/disconnecting USB cable ???
But why it's charging normally with same USB cable ??

May be connectors on main-board inside camera damaged during connecting/disconnecting USB cable ???
But why it's charging normally with same USB cable ??

The camera is charged trough the 5V wires (pins 1 and 4), while the data is transfered through the bus wires (pins 2 and 3).

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

Yeah, I get the same issue occasionally. All I do is allow it to charge for 5 minutes, (red light on), unplug, then turn the camera ON, then plug the USB cable in, it starts up in windows 7 and recognizes the drive with no issues.
If you still can't recognize the drive, then pull the SD card and reformat/reinstall. It might help.

With the gopro turned on plug it into the computer. Open up windows explorer and see if a new drive shows up. If not Go to start->control panel->system->Device Manager Right click and select scan for new hardware devices.

See if something shows up.

Expand "Disk drives" and see if the go pro shows up there. It'll come up as "AMBA Storage USB Device"

If no drive letter shows up in windows explorer there is probably another drive letter assigned to the one the drive would like. I've seen this before a few times on different devices.

Right click on properties of the mentioned device, and select volume. Select populate. See if a drive letter shows in there.

Try manually running that drive letter. Example: 'H' drive. Hit 'Windows key'+'R' type in "h:" and hit run. See if it comes up.

If not goto control panel->administrative tools and select computer management. Mine is currently not loading up but I believe it's drive management or something. From there select the volume that does not have a drive letter assigned to it and select properties and give it a drive letter.

If it's working on a MAC it means the HID layer is working correctly and its just a matter of something mis-configured on your PC. Hope this helps. Perhaps search online for how to trouble shoot a harddrive/sd card that is not showing up on Windows 7.

Blue Ones, Trunk
HYPOXIC

I got the same problem with my Gopro HD cam, it charges fine, but can't get into USB mode, and I got another problem, when ever I have charged the cam, I HAVE to pull out the battery and insert it again, else the cam won't turn on, is that normal ?

And the SD card is brand new, and I have had it in a SD-card reader, and it works great.

So if anyone have a fix to my problems I would be happy

Sounds like it's over-currenting. I've had a few of those back in the day. Contact gopro via their web site http://gopro.com/support/ and enter in your serial number of your gopro with a description of the problem. Next search for the receipt as you will need that to get it RMA'd.
Trunk's Blog
HYPOXIC's Instagram
Like HYPOXIC