divekennene

Video Camera Angle

I've done a lot of searching with regards to video camera angle and I just want to clarify before I drill into my $200 Mindwarp that I really can't afford to replace. On the advice of Cookie Composites, I have a Flatlock adapter (complete setup = flatlock adapter, liquid flatlock, cookie cage for a cx150) that I am mounting on my Bonehead Mindwarp helmet. I will primarily be filming RW and from what I have read, MOST folks recommend a "flat angle". Is that to mean, parallel to ground when I am standing straight up wearing the helmet? I really don't want to have to redrill the holes if I can avoid it. Thanks for any advice on this.

I really don't want to have to redrill the holes if I can avoid it.

A camera helmet is a piece of working gear. Get used to the idea that you're going to have some re-work as you figure out your system.

That said, there's a lot of benefit in mocking up your helmet build ahead of time. Get a roll of gaffer tape and put everything where you think you want it. Since you're looking at filming RW, get down on your belly and see what you can get with the camera while lying on the floor. That's not perfect, but it will give you a starting point for adjustments. When you're satisfied with what you can get and the balance of your setup, start looking for snag points by pulling a line across it in various directions. Fix the snag points as much as possible. Make sure that your proposed setup doesn't interfere with the helmet cutaway.

Now you're ready to get someone who knows camera helmets to help you check it over. Once they've helped with more adjustments, you're probably ready for the Dremel tool & drill, but don't be surprised if you have to tweak stuff to get it right and mess up your shiny new helmet. Use some of the left over gaffer tape and/or some "kewl" stickers to cover up your mistakes.

Good luck.

Lance

Okay, I just thought of another question. I have a Hypeye D Pro, and I was thinking of mounting it inside the helmet so only the button sticks out. I want to put it right in the center of the audible pocket on the left hand side...so I can wind up any extra wire there and chances are I won't really feel it because it is designed to hold an audible. My concern is (given that I am going to be drilling about a 5/8" hole within 2 1/2" of the chinstrap bolt) it could create a weak point in the carbon fiber and risk cracking it at the hole. Any thoughts on this? Should I be concerned or just go with it?

Don't put the hypeye where it is easy to bump on climbout or with a riser on opening. I don't recommend the side of the helmet.

On the advice of Cookie Composites, I have a Flatlock adapter (complete setup = flatlock adapter, liquid flatlock, cookie cage for a cx150)

Gee, cookie's advice was to buy everything they sell? Shocker! :P

Just kidding. Do what the other guy said and tape everything in place. Put it on your head, start recording where you're looking, and then check out the video to make sure it's not wildly different than you think you should see. But in general I'd recommend getting a purpose built camera helmet instead of modifying your existing one.

Dave

Dave

I would agree with MOST folkts then.

I dont video much on my belly, but i usually move my camera so its straight when videoing on my belly.
When i do freefly i move it forward so its more aimed down.
CRW i move it back to get a more up angle.

I like to start by drilling the bottom left hole, then mounting the box so it hinges and rotates about that point. Lay on a bench or table and have someone help you sight it and rotate it until you get it where you like it. Then make some pencil marks. Take it off and drill the rest of the holes.

That being said, expect to more holes than you need. You'll probably do a few jumps on it and want to tweak it again. Then you'll want to upgrade to a flat top.

Good luck!
http://www.exitshot.com

> Now, assuming there may be some tweaking (forward to back), would you
>recommend drilling new holes, or dremeling the first set of holes to create
>like a "slot" of sorts . . .

I'd drill new holes. Slots allow some creep back and forth, and it's easier to accurately locate holes.

Agree with everyone else on the slots, holes are more secure. I've tried both, and slots work okay but they're not ideal. I also use the same method as Karen - pick one hole as your pivot if you're going to use the same mount for multiple angles.

Also realize that the actual helmet is just one part of the equation when you're figuring out helmet camera angles. Body type, weight, suit type, flying style, and other stuff will all figure into it as you progress.

Lance

Okay, I just thought of another question. I have a Hypeye D Pro, and I was thinking of mounting it inside the helmet so only the button sticks out. I want to put it right in the center of the audible pocket on the left hand side...so I can wind up any extra wire there and chances are I won't really feel it because it is designed to hold an audible. My concern is (given that I am going to be drilling about a 5/8" hole within 2 1/2" of the chinstrap bolt) it could create a weak point in the carbon fiber and risk cracking it at the hole. Any thoughts on this? Should I be concerned or just go with it?

Hopefully you're not going to forego the audible.

Come on Gee, people jumped for years without an audible, don't be a pussy!:D:P

Like someone else said, don't put it where it is easiest to knock into something or have a riser strike it. Your audible port on a mindwarp sticks out farther to the side than any other area of your helmet, you are asking for it to get knocked around. You could just as easily put in centered in the back near the bottom or on your forehead. Either of these places would work much better. Remember, you WILL drill more than the necessary holes in your helmet. You WILL hit it on the door, roof, side of the plane. You WILL change your set up over and over. Just part of the deal:)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Hopefully you're not going to forego the audible.

No, I am definitely not going to forego the audible. I will keep that in the right pocket. I was just considering using the free left pocket for the Hypeye. But I like the idea of putting it just below the mount on the back of the helmet :)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here yet is that Carbon Fiber is extremely conductive. When you start drilling/cutting it, you're going to end up with lots of little bits of CF and CF powder. If this gets into your camera or any other electronics it's got the potential to seriously F%*K it up.

Make sure to do all the drilling away from electronics and thoroughly clean the helmet before bringing your camera close. When I drilled my helmet I sealed the holes with some clear nail polish to be on the safe side.

Out of curiosity I checked the resistance through my helmet with a multimeter before I sealed the holes. I was surprised to see just how conductive it was, and I saw less than 20 ohms measuring between holes that were drilled over 10" apart.
I got nuthin

One thing that hasn't been mentioned here yet is that Carbon Fiber is extremely conductive....

It is good advice to be careful, but I have never heard of someone actually messing up their electronics because of CF dust. Just a lot of "potential" damage so far. I do drill, cut and sand far from everything (and I use a downdraft sanding table) because it is messy as hell, but I no longer seal holes of even edges of CF. No problems yet...

Well, for the most part, aside from some tweaking and actually jumping and fine tuning the angle, I got 'er done! It took quite a bit of modifying the Flat Lock Adapter to fit the slope of the helmet, but it mates pretty good with the shell. One question though...in the instructions that came with the adapter, it didn't say anything about putting threadlock on the "nuts" for the mount. Should I even mess with that?