PRICAN1493

To all videographers need help!!!

Here's one that'll keep you scratching your head.

I have a friend that videoed a wedding that was three hours long. He videoed it at 1080P and the total space amount is 45 GB. Now the million dollar question is, how can he compress this video to one or two DVDs. If you guys can solve that, please let me know. It is already on the computer and he is also using studio Pro 3. He hasn't put it in studio Pro 3. Right now it's just sitting on his computer. If you can please please help.

The short answer is yes.

The long answer depends on his skills in compression. It will -never- be 1080p on the DVD, but it can easily be a DVD that plays back on a 16:9 screen with a fairly good image.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I'd disagree that 3 hours can be put on one DVD and look halfway decent.
Compressor sucks, period. Sorenson or Adobe Media Encoder will get it 2/3 of the way there.
Getting it compressed down to two DVDs or one DVD9 is easy as pie to put 3 hours down.
Either way, drop the 1080p into a 720p sequence. IMO, converting to 24p (assuming no highspeed pans) would be the next best option, as that'll save 25% in size right off the bat, and weddings can look terrific with pulldown.

Compressor sucks, period.

"Sucks" is in the eye of the beholder. My main client is pretty f'in' picky about such things and he's never complained.

Three hours would definitely be stretching it, but I don't think you'd end up with unreasonable quality. It's not going to be Blu-ray, but there's no reason it should "suck" too bad either.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Even Apple's own product manager knows his product (and calls it like it is) sucks.

Super upgrade from what it is, but they'd been better off keeping the Spruce team intact for compression. Espsecially if it's critical content. Cinemacraft, Adobe, Sony all have significantly better product. Compressor is getting better, and their ads are darn cool.

The best solution?
Don't make a freakin' wedding video THREE HOURS long. [cocking pistol and placing it in mouth]
I'm pretty sure that VHS tapes in LP mode can do like 6-8 hours of playback time, if that helps. ;)
cheers!
pope

The best solution?
Don't make a freakin' wedding video THREE HOURS long.

LOL! Got that right. Even Hollywood has a real hard time selling movies that are that long. Believe me, your friends and relatives won't sit through it with you (unless they are just being extremely polite).

LOL! That's real funny but true. There is in no way I would sit through a three-hour video or wedding. Thanks anyways guys after I relayed that information to him, I haven't heard anything from him. So I guess it worked. Good job!!

Blue skies to everyone, RICO D-24334