Flyfast

GoPro HD of stills?

So when are we going to see a compact still camera that produces high quality shots at a resonable price, similar to the GP for video? I've been contemplating a new digital still camera but the options seem limited.

The SLR's are great but they have considerable weight when combined with the lens and video set-up. I want good pictures but I don't want a shit ton of weight and I dont want to spend $1,000 on just the still setup.

I know the small point and shoots can be cracked and modded for a biteswitch connection, but the quality compared to SLR's is weak sauce and sluggish fps speed make it not worth the effort in the first place.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
ZC OG

Not likely going to happen the way you'd like it to.
The distance between the glass and the sensor alone makes it a difficult build on the cheap and compact.
The small format cameras work because they are so wide, and they still tweak/process the heck out of the image so the image quality isn't near what the scene actually looks like.
That's before we get into discussions of compression, etc.

The GoPro can take stills and they arent too bad really. Definately not SLR quality of course but nice in terms of a standard digital camera. I have used it a few times for stills and was pretty happy. Really wide angle though, so you have to be close. The biggest drawback I think is it takes a photo every two seconds, so you cant really "pick " your shot, just have to get into position and wait at least 2 seconds, or get lucky.

Panasonic has just announced the Lumix LX5, due for August. I assume that it has to be modified for a remote shutter (like the LX3), but it's certainly a camera I will look at when it's out. I was thinking to buy a Sony NEX-5, but the reviews so far aren't overwhelming, and the price tag is quite high...

Until then, I'll keep shooting with my modified Kodak V570 and V705.

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...

The GoPro can take stills and they arent too bad really. Definately not SLR quality of course but nice in terms of a standard digital camera. I have used it a few times for stills and was pretty happy. Really wide angle though, so you have to be close. The biggest drawback I think is it takes a photo every two seconds, so you cant really "pick " your shot, just have to get into position and wait at least 2 seconds, or get lucky.

I just shoot my GoProHD in 720p mode. It takes 30 frames a second, so I just go frame by frame and choose which one I like the best and just save that frame as a picture. Works just fine.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

That is no where near the quality of a true photo and is even far from the same quality level as a still from a GoPro in photo mode. I hope you are not selling those screen captures as photos since if so then its a disservice to the consumer.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

>Any thoughts/suggestions?

Canon G10. Point and shoot with a wide angle lens. Accepts a 2.5mm shutter release.

Yeah, there is a guy at my DZ using this for tandem video.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Yeah i guess the GP comparision was a bit of a strech, it sounds like it won't ever be physically possible to fit all the necessary technology into such a small package, but one can dream.

I guess my best bet would be to go with a very light bodied SLR, as I can't do much about the lens weight. Anyone know what the smallest or lightest SLR body on the market is?

I agree that the stills from the GP is not the quality i was looking for, and i would like to use this setup for possible tandem video production in the future.

Thank you all for the suggestions, i'll check them out.
ZC OG

I guess my best bet would be to go with a very light bodied SLR, as I can't do much about the lens weight. Anyone know what the smallest or lightest SLR body on the market is?

The Canon T1i, T2i, XSi and XS are all fairly lightweight with the Kit lens which is a reasonable lens and regularly used in freefall.

The setup isn't much heavier then the older tape based Sony HDV cameras.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I believe basically all the DSLR bodys weighs in at around 500 grams, +/-. With a kit lens you'll end up at around 700grams. With a micro 4/3 you might be able to find a camera and lens weighing about 500 grams together. However a couple more <200gram options deserves to be mentioned:

As discussed before, the Ricoh GX and CX series of compacts is being used for tandem videos.

Theres also the GRDI-III, with a fixed 28mm lens(21mm with extra converter.) According to some reviews, in good conditions photos are fully comparable to a DSLR with kit lens. It weighs 200grams and keeps going at 2fps. Full manual exposure and focus. I dont know of anyone jumping it though, and as with the other Ricohs, the mouthswitch has to be soldered to the CA-1 switch or similar.

Most canon Powershots can be remotely triggered by installing the CHDK software. I've jumped my ixus 870(28mm wide) a few of times and it works ok. At least on a fine day, it would probably do the job for tandems.

A big issue with compacts is that most of them lock exposure on the first shot when shooting continuously, resulting in over exposed exits.

Also note that your choice of helmet may affect the weight on your head as much as your choice of camera. A Cookie MXV with a DSLR mounted weighs about as much as a Flat top pro with no cameras at all.

/Jonathan

That is no where near the quality of a true photo and is even far from the same quality level as a still from a GoPro in photo mode. I hope you are not selling those screen captures as photos since if so then its a disservice to the consumer.

Who anything about selling my photos? I'm a sport jumper and like to have some videos and keep a few stills from it. The whole 2 sec. shot cannot capture every moment, so I just take it from the video.

And yes the quality is not that good, but its made some good personal stills considering how I generate them.

I think it is the same or better quality that the GoPro in photo mode when I've compared the two, though.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

>Any thoughts/suggestions?

Canon G10. Point and shoot with a wide angle lens. Accepts a 2.5mm shutter release.

Yeah, there is a guy at my DZ using this for tandem video.

I have a G10 that I've used on occasion. bought as a point n' shoot, I found I was pretty happy with it. With the wide adapter, it's not a HUGE savings on weight.

I have captured still of of video as well and personally, I think it is far worse that the stills the GoPro shoots in photo mode.

I am by no means a camera or photography expert, but I was pleased with the quality of the stills from that camera, especially for my uses like tjm.

a NEX-5 and a NEX-3

Looks like this is a close to what I imagined when I first posted this thread. I see on previous threads that the fps is on the slower side and I think I read that both of these models do not have the 2.5mm port for the biteswitch and needs to be modded, is that correct? Any big advantages of the 5 over the 3 in terms of skydiving applications?

I would love to see some pictures of those that are currently rocking a Nex-5 or 3 still set-up.
ZC OG

I like my GoPrp HD's at 720/60fps for video. The stills are great until you do Sunset loads. The picture will start to smear in any thing less than Full Sunlight. I was told this is from the very small Optical Sensor. Bottom line, without a flash back-up, this smearing will happen without full sunshine.
Life is short ... jump often.