billvon

Hypeye error code/wrong mode

So there I was filming 8 way last weekend.

On one jump we got the door-open signal, so I put my CX100 in standby (got a blue light) and leaned out to spot. Then we got the exit light. Pressed the button again as I leaned out one last time to check - and got a blue and yellow light on the Hypeye. Pressed it again, the red light flashed momentarily, then went back to blue and yellow.

Well, not climbing out probably wasn't an option (full Otter load) so I climbed out and tried a few more times. No luck; the same thing happened. We exited, and having nothing better to do I held the button down to power it off (that worked) then made sure the Hypeye connection to the camera was OK. I turned it back on and got a blue light, then pressed the button again and got the red record light.

I got the last 35 seconds of the jump - believe it or not most people didn't even notice that the video was about half the length it was normally, since I did get an entire page of 8-way. Since then system has been fine.

The two possibilities I see were that:

1) I was getting an odd error code that was not listed in the manual or
2) I had managed to put the Hypeye into a setup mode and it was waiting me to set the zoom level or something. I didn't see that mode in the manual either though.

Anyone have any ideas?

I can't remember what color it was showing, but the one time my hype-eye didn't give me blue followed by red I quickly tried to trouble-shoot, and ejecting then pushing back in the memory card did the trick for me. YMMV :|

We also have some problems with static electricity messing up CX-series cameras - moving over carpet in the plane followed by touching the metal bars. Not sure what color that one gives, but I think a on/off cycle helps there. Although not THAT much help as this typically happens when you're just climbing out of course :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Sounds like your second possibility might be correct. I just bought a Hypeye and set mine so that when I turn on my camera it zooms to full wide angle. The light patterns sound close to what I had to do to set the zoom.

Having that many options isn't always a good thing. If that happened at Nationals you would be forced to either figure it out before exiting or ride the plane down so as not to risk getting a zero and that would really suck.

>I just bought a Hypeye and set mine so that when I turn on my camera it
>zooms to full wide angle.

Maybe. To get into photo mode you are supposed to double click the button rapidly, but I didn't intentionally do that. Perhaps it got bumped by someone behind me and/or the button bounced and it was interpreted as a double clock. To get into config mode you're supposed to hold it long enough to turn it off, then hold it even longer until all but the red LED goes out - and I definitely didn't do that.

>If that happened at Nationals you would be forced to either figure it out
>before exiting or ride the plane down so as not to risk getting a zero and
>that would really suck.

Well, at Nats I'd actually be relying on my second camera at that point. But yes it would suck to have that happen.

So the question is - does power cycling the Hypeye always correct this problem? There would still be enough time to do this on the step for 8 way at least.

Sounds like a double tap to photo mode. Mine does this occasionally, but I notice it happens more just after opening. Two more quick double taps cycle you back to movie mode, which seems to work faster than powering down / back up for me.

Lance

I get this all the time.

I'm hoping soon that trunk will produce a basic Hypeye that just turns the camera on, starts recording and stops recording.

While everything else the hypeye does is good, ultimately I find it totally useless.

I'd swap my current hypeye straight away if one of these came out.

Sorry I have not been on DZ.com in a long time.

The mode appeared to be in photo mode since it was taking a still pictures (red light blinks) when it was clicked.

If you are accidentally get into the wrong mode all the time, perhaps the push button is not quite seated properly anymore and badly debouncing. Email me and we should be able to sort it out.

I haven't looked into making a separate product since my dealers would have to stock both versions. Perhaps just make a method to "lock out" all additional functions?

Thx,
-Trunk
HYPOXIC