gusto77

Go Pro suggestions

Got a Go Pro less than a month ago and absolutely loved it. I bumped it during a dive exit (not very hard) and bam it was gone... adehesive mount stayed attached but the camera and joint mount were gone. Really made me mad. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than dont bump it) on how to prevent this? Or perhaps a better camera within the same price range? I know about 5 others who have had the same experience and it seems that a camera designed for extreme sports wouldnt get ripped off so easily. Thanks....

My suggestions are...

Gain enough experience in the sport so that you can move about a plane in a group and not bump anything. This will come with experience and being relaxed and thinking about your body position and spacial awareness at all times and not thinking about jumping out of the plane... basically when skydiving becomes second nature and "normal" to you.

Then... learn to fly your body so that moving around the sky just happens the way you want it to and you don't have to think about making certain movements to get certain results. This will come with MORE experience. Once flying your body is as natural as walking, move on to step 3.

STEP 3: Buy a real camera, mount it professionally on a real camera helmet (one whose sole purpose is to fly a camera). Start learning skydiving all over again because flying a camera changes everything. Be VERY careful when wearing your helmet in the air and above all... Don't BUMP anything.
:P

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

but the camera and joint mount were gone. Really made me mad. Does anyone have any suggestions (other than dont bump it) on how to prevent this? Or perhaps a better camera within the same price range? I know about 5 others who have had the same experience and it seems that a camera designed for extreme sports wouldnt get ripped off so easily.

It is a trade off. Or it gets ripped off when you hit something or it stays on your helmet with (for example) a bridle or a main attached to it.
Whatever solution you pick, you have to accept the (dis)advantages of it.

Jurgen

Use the rubber adapter that comes with the camera. Mount the camera then stuff it inside the gap between the support and foot mount. It is supposed to prevent the mount from releasing when impacted.
PS - I agree with the above post, if you do have 172 jumps you should wait a little bit until flying camera (even a compact one)
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Mainly thought to use photo+video (either HERO photos and any video on top or HERO video with stills on top) This one will do the job. the camera attaches with the original gopro thumbscrew + 2 bungees that secure the camera. If that's not enough, there is an additional velcro option, soft velcro on camera box sides stick to hard velcro patches. With an optional plate you can also set the gopro so it's filming along your body down to your feet for track dives (2nd picture)