Making the hype-eye-D-connector more compact

Hi guys,

Between studying for my last 2 exams this year ( part time studies, a full time job and good weather are a bad combination ;) ) I'm fiddling with my Camera setup.

After the building of the top-plate I've mounted everything and the setup is functional and lined out. Almost ready to use.

What i don't really like is the distance the hype-eye D-connector is sticking out of my camera, over the edge of the plate. I cannot mount the camera more to the center of the helmet due to the space my stills is taking this way.

I know this would not be an issue if I would update my HC5 with a CX105 because these have their D-connector on the rear but that's not an option right now.

Is anyone aware of a male-female D-connector cable with a more compact plug / sharper corner on the camera side ? Or is there a "safe" way of modifying this side of the cable on the hype-eye ?
--------

www.youtube.com/l0013

I assume the original hype-eye /hype eye mini functions in a way similar to the cam-eye II, considering they are all LANC based controls.

I used a Cam-eye II for a while and the problem I occasionally had was I turned the camera off when I bumped my head on the ceiling of our airplane.
For me that -after the zoom locking- is the big advantage of the hype eye

Thanks for thinking with me though.
--------

www.youtube.com/l0013

if u want to stick to the hype eye with this set up, i might resort to putting a little metal deflector under your stroboframe that sticks out just a little past the hype eye to deflect a riser away from the connector. its is a 5 dollar solution rather than changing to the cx.
dont let life pass you by

Would moving the Video camera to the right and have the still on the left be an option?

I think for budget sake the deflector is probably the best bet, though.

Post a picture of what you come up with.

well,

This way i can always reach the screen and controls of the video camera.
If i move the stills to that side i will have the roughly same problem with the remote connector on the 350D. also i will be moving my stills lens ( and so : it's weight) to/over the edge.

The way it is setup now had less disadvantages :)
--------

www.youtube.com/l0013

It's more of a bragging then helping you, but I couldn't resist showing off the best setup I've seen so far(cuz I made it :P ).

but you mentioned that you've finished your last 2 exams? Does that mean you've got a job that pays well? In that case..get a CX 150/155 and drop the HC5. It's lighter, more compact and DV tapes is a hassle compared to flash. I'll never regret going digital after ditching my PC350 for the CX 100(105 here in Norway). It'll also save your neck after a hard day with 10-15 tandem/RW/AFF/what.not jumps.

As to getting the connector slimmer: I like to think that they thought of it while making the Hypeye, but fell for the shape when considering the brutal punishment we put our equipment through and that it needs to be easy to grab. That said....it should be possible to strip the plastic housing around the cables and make it slimmer. But then again you might end up getting a super fragile component that might break at the worst possible time ;)

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

but you mentioned that you've finished your last 2 exams? Does that mean you've got a job that pays well? In that case..get a CX 150/155 and drop the HC5.

I'm doing this part time study to make my job pay well ;)
As mentioned I currently do not have the financial reserves to ditch the HC5.

Personally I prefer the HC5 before the file-based camera's due to the tapes. ( My mac loves tape based camera's :) ) and i have the feeling the colors are better.

I'm still working out some kind of deflector. I will get there. my first version seemed to pose more of a snag hazard then a protection :)
--------

www.youtube.com/l0013

I'm still working out some kind of deflector.

Nice!

my first version seemed to pose more of a snag hazard then a protection :)

..ops! =D

I can't come up with an idea to you that might work as a deflector, but good luck and post it here so other's may copy it =)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Hey Lilchief,

Nice setup. One thing I did notice, and it may not necessarily apply to your setup, since your cables seem pretty well fixed, but you may want to get some very small gauge silicon tubing and glue it around the edges of the cutout on your box. The natural tendency of the cables to move due to wind buffet, and the inherit sharpness of cut carbon fiber can make a very slow cable cutter. You may make 100 jumps with no issue, but then suddenly one day you'll have a sheared at worst, shorted at best cable.
Once again, I can't see really closely at the cable and whether or not it's touching the cut out edge, but if it is, you may want to cushion the edge of the box.
Just a thought, and if it isn't an issue, then please disregard, I've had the issue before and it's not a big deal, but nothing worse than suddenly losing a cable. B|

Thanks!

I did actually use sandpaper on the edges to prevent it, but I may add some silicone or the classic ductap ;) They don't touch the edges here on the ground, but I assume that they do during the freefall. =)
www.lilchief.no

I haven't found a good way of making a deflector yet.
I've created some versions and none satisfies me. All seem to add more of a snag hazard.
At least in this setup it will break when it gets hit. Gear i can replace, my body is a bit more of a hassle to repair.
In my opinion thats a safer option than keeping the gear intact and getting stuck.
--------

www.youtube.com/l0013

It's just sticking out too much I think.

I agree. I had to redesign and remake my entire helmet/box mold to accomadate this plug.

Hypoxic.... are you reading this. Please consider redesigning the plug to make it lower profile. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I'd like to have a hypeye that didn't do all the crap i will never ever use in my life? I want it simple turn on and off and a light record and standby, no zoom crap or anything like that.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................