vdschoor

CX100 question: Sony batteries or knock-offs?

I've had some good-to-decent experiences with various knock-off M-series batteries, decent with F, very very bad with S and N and I've given up with H because sony made the connection quite difficult to emulate, at first requiring a firewire connection as well :S I do have a cheap charger though, very important to have a separate charger if you have multiple batteries.

Yes sony is expensive, but at least they usually work... For my nikon DSLRs, knock-offs are fine, for my older Canon DSLRs they were fine, but for my sony videocams I stick to original. YMMV.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Alright.. those experiences are exactly what I've seen on previous model batteries myself... this just confirms what I kind of already knew: Stick with what works: SONY!!

I've never used knockoffs myself, but I saw other people using them on older cameras and complaining so I was just wondering if it still applied to the CX100

Sony has an intelligent circuit that meters the life of the charge, and communicates with the camera. Knockoffs don't.
Knockoffs fail a lot in my experience.[:/]
Delco had an intelligent battery, but it disappeared from the market. Dunno why.

Guys,

I have a question, I need to buy some backup batteries for my CX100.

Do you recommend to stick with Sony ones, or just go and get the knockoffs?

Experiences are very welcome.. the sony ones are quite a bit more expensive.

Def stick with Sony! The price of the knock off's is inviting but in the long run you will be much better off with "real" batteries.
Amazon always has good prices on batteries.
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

Over the years I learned to use only original batteries, a friend almost got his house on fire because of one cheap battery from ebay...
I would get the new model from the CX150: NP-FV50 almost the same size than the NP-FH50 in the CX100, but more power:
1030 mAh vs 900
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/671673-REG/Sony_NPFV50_NP_FV50_InfoLITHIUM_V_Series.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/479441-REG/Sony_NPFH50_NP_FH50_H_Series_Info_Lithium.html#specifications

Have tried various brand X versions in a number of different styles. AT BEST gotten two normal charge cycles then they are basically worthless. Battery meter will tell you full charge then they are dead 10 minutes later.

Stick with the Sony name brand only.

I got two knock-off batteried for my CX100.

Worthless. Since I can not return them, I am stuck with the loss. Out 30 bucks.

But I got lucky. Picked up a NP-FH70 for 50% off at Best Buy inone of those 'marked down' bins. I can fly with it all weekend and never have a problem. I keep the smaller original battery as a backup.

Buy Sony and DO NOT LOOK BACK!!!

Afterall, you get what you pay for. Save yourself the trouble and don't make tha same mistake I did.

This thread is weird to me - the Sony battery which came with my CX100 would lose an hour on one jump. After the jump which said I had 45 minutes left on the ground but died on the way to altitude, I went in search of newer ones. Got 2 cheap knockoffs and they work way better than my original Sony's. Had knockoffs with my previous PC330 and they worked great too. Luck of the draw maybe...

I'm with you man... I've got two batteries that come with the CX100 and they are pretty much crap. I bought a 70 off eBay for 19.99 so I'm guessing it's a knock off... :P But it works WAY better than the 2 50's put together...

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer