Bryceworld

The Sony cx350

Has anyone used this camera skydiving?
I'm just about to buy a helmet and cookie don't have this model listed for their black boxes yet.
Just wondering if anyone has rigged up their own (am looking to have some protection for it) and how it handles generally.. I know the card slot is on the bottom, so that sucks for quick retrieval for video guys..
but the lens is already pretty WIDE :)Thanks
Bryce

True, but some people prefer the higher quality video if they are very serious about video. The only choice for you if you were considering that model would be to send it to some shop/manufacturer (not sure) and glue down the OIS.

If you you do end up purchasing that model let us know! ;)

Also cookie does not make the blackbox for that model due to the OIS.

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

True, but some people prefer the higher quality video if they are very serious about video. The only choice for you if you were considering that model would be to send it to some shop/manufacturer (not sure) and glue down the OIS.

If you you do end up purchasing that model let us know! ;)

Also cookie does not make the blackbox for that model due to the OIS.

What exactly allows it to provide higher quality video?

Sony will not disable the gyro system. Armato's used to, they no longer will. You'd have to find a mom n' pop shop. Bear in mind that if it's not done perfectly with lenses aligned, you've got an expensive paperweight.

I already bought the camera before knowing anything about the OIS problems... love being a newbie ;) but this model has a really wide lens.. a mate of mine has a cx100 (pretty sure) and with a .3 on his, it's as wide as mine with nothing on it.. so does the OIS muck up the footage because it's picking up on the black edges of the wide angle?
I tried to do some research on this, i couldn't really find any footage showing the difference of OIS off or on.
I'll end up jumping it anyway so i guess i'll find out eventually

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the imaging sensor is somewhat superior. From what I've heard back illuminated sensors are minimally inferior to the standard Exmor R" CMOS sensor made by Sony.

Video pixels on the 350 is at 2650K Pixels and the 150 goes around 1350k thus improving the resolution a bit

The effective picture resolution is also 2650K Pixels compared to the 150 which has 1180K Pixels at 16:9 ratio. Of course we all know that camcorder pics could never replace the DSLR's pictures in terms of quality.

Also slightly better quality glass lens
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

"somewhat" superior" is how I'd look at it. When you're dealing with 1/3 and smaller chips, the gain is all but imperceptible, and no matter what, you trade resolution for light sensitivity/electronic noise.
That's why I asked the question, I thought maybe there was something else you'd been looking at.

And as you mentioned...the stills just ain't there. Most of us are probably snobby and want the quality images that good glass (even on a cheaper point n' shoot) provide vs what the plastic/glass/processed image a camcorder provides.

I had a 350 for all of an hour, and it didn't impress me much over or under anything in its class. not for what we do, and not for the WEVA/LEVA market either. The "between 3K and $500" market is so flippin' cloudy right now....

I jumped the cx350 today. I shut off all the "extra" features for jumping with it, i.e smile rec, face rec, ois, and shot sd to the internal memory. For everyday skydiving videos it s good. I'd say it's better than the cx100's.
I didn't notice anything that would stand out to say not to jump one.
I jumped it at 13,000 MSL. I know the manual says it will have issues above 16,000 MSL. If I can get a jump in tomorrow at out max altitude, I'll let you know (our max is 17,500 msl, 11,000 agl)
Brad