kawisixer01

Gopro acting up?

I just got a gopro hd just over a month ago. Lately the unit has refused to power up on me at times. Twice now it's done it on jump run and i've been stuck with no video of jumps I really really wanted vid of. Has anyone else experienced any issue like this? I've tried pulling the battery and reseating it when it does it, pulling the ccard and trying to start it without a card, formatting the card thinking that may have something to do with it, and just trying to turn it on multiple times. This has occured when it's fresh off the charger so i know it's not a dead battery issue. When it has turned on the battery indicator is scrolling from emply to full. I don't remember ever noticing that before it started acting up so I dont know if that is normal or not. Typically on other electronics the only time the battery indicator does that is when it is charging.

'twice now, it's done it on jump run"

the LAST thing you need ,,,, is to be screwing around,, trying to "restart" a camera,, while climbout is occuring...[:/]
it can distract you,, AND others,,, can mess up your concentration and in some cases , can interfere entirely , with the climbout and/or the skydive...:(

just cause 'it's small'
it's "high def,,, i.e. high tech ",, or it "looks neat" doesn't assure that it will be safe and reliable...B|[:/]

i've seen those mini cams now for a while and they have yet to prove themselves to me,, as a solid and viable way of recording a skydive...i'm still nervous about some parts of the set up,,,snaggability etc...
( i have never used one)
It sounds like a connection somewhere internally is acting up..
Ever DROP the Go Pro?? toss it around at all???
bang it HARD...?? on a climbout.( that can happen !! and go unnoticed, amidst the usual bumping around as one swings out to say, a floater position...)
lightweight equipment COULD have lightweight connections...

sorry to be jumping on you... but make sure the gear you're using is bulletproof,, and works every time... before climbing into a jump plane with it..
good luck
j t
A 3914
D 12122
nscr 1817

Wow I was asking about an equipment issue to see if anyone has experienced it and you take it to speakers corner level bashing? Trust me I've thought plently and researched plenty about the issues you speak of BEFORE I made the decision to purchase one, it was a long winter. I don't "screw around with it". I typically push the power button as I am donning my helmet, in the couple of cases it didn't come on I pushed it again and left alone and continued to put my helmet on. And no I haven't roughed it up, I've used it on about 10 jumps total and two track days on my bike. I treat it like I would my altimeter or a helmet, with due care.

'twice now, it's done it on jump run"

the LAST thing you need ,,,, is to be screwing around,, trying to "restart" a camera,, while climbout is occuring...[:/]
it can distract you,, AND others,,, can mess up your concentration and in some cases , can interfere entirely , with the climbout and/or the skydive...:(

just cause 'it's small'
it's "high def,,, i.e. high tech ",, or it "looks neat" doesn't assure that it will be safe and reliable...B|[:/]

i've seen those mini cams now for a while and they have yet to prove themselves to me,, as a solid and viable way of recording a skydive...i'm still nervous about some parts of the set up,,,snaggability etc...
( i have never used one)
It sounds like a connection somewhere internally is acting up..
Ever DROP the Go Pro?? toss it around at all???
bang it HARD...?? on a climbout.( that can happen !! and go unnoticed, amidst the usual bumping around as one swings out to say, a floater position...)
lightweight equipment COULD have lightweight connections...

sorry to be jumping on you... but make sure the gear you're using is bulletproof,, and works every time... before climbing into a jump plane with it..
good luck
j t
A 3914
D 12122
nscr 1817

If you weren't so high up on your horse you might be able to get over yourself. geez

I just kinda find it funny and ironic. Apparently I just can't be attentive enough to safely jump with a camera because of my jump numbers...but I am attentive enough to successfully pass my eval jumps and jump with students on my recent coach rating. :P

The two aren't remotely relevant.
FWIW, I'm a C/E.
Being able to fly a stable base (the primary in-air role of a coach, remember?) bears little relevance to having a third eye, having muscle memory that may save your life in a bad situation, or having the ability to be altitude aware at all times.

Congrats on your recent coach rating. Going through the coach training process is a terrific step towards flying a camera.

was critique'ing the camera moreso than the jumper...:|

these 'tiny little cameras' have opened the door for many many jumpers to now deem themselves 'ready'...

it is what it is and matters little to me...at this point...so long as I'm not going out the door with them...;)
only pointing out that
any equipment one may choose,,, needs to WORK... when you hit 'record'..

demoknite,,, only rode a horse One time, in my life...
it was fun...might consider doing it again..
but i climbed OFF it about 30 years ago....
and
it was NO high horse...
:|
skydive safely
jmy

I just love GoPro videos...they make up awesome YouTube filler material, with tiny specs (jumpers I think) and loads of shakey ground and sky...usually with a nose and an eyelash in the corner of the frame..

Hope we get more of that soon...and than slap a title in front of the 3 minute video of nothing, and credit that as editing...:P

These cameras have lots of wonderfull options in terms of practical use. But sadly only a small percentage of the users has this show in their published works...

That said....the CF card is probably the issue. More people are having those problems.

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I just got a gopro hd just over a month ago. Lately the unit has refused to power up on me at times. Twice now it's done it on jump run and i've been stuck with no video of jumps I really really wanted vid of. Has anyone else experienced any issue like this? I've tried pulling the battery and reseating it when it does it, pulling the ccard and trying to start it without a card, formatting the card thinking that may have something to do with it, and just trying to turn it on multiple times. This has occured when it's fresh off the charger so i know it's not a dead battery issue. When it has turned on the battery indicator is scrolling from emply to full. I don't remember ever noticing that before it started acting up so I dont know if that is normal or not. Typically on other electronics the only time the battery indicator does that is when it is charging.

Dude...I am sick of this crap. Maybe learn how to fly before you add a camera. LMAO I know you have mad skillz

EDIT: MAKE A CHOICE [PA removed by moderator]

Which is it? You DO NOT need to follow the USPA recommendations regarding camera flying cuz its a GO PRO? Then WHY THE HELL are you posting in a forum for VIDEOGRAPHERS?? Put the camera or the rig away before we all regret it!

EDIT2: LMAO [PA removed by moderator] You mentioned that you passed the coaches course so you are able to fly camera!! [PA removed by moderator] If you would have taken the gopro out of your ass you would understand, THE FOCUS OF THE COACHES COURSE IS ON INSTRUCTION NOT FLYING! The pathetic thing is most Coach instructors will pass you if you pay regardless of your flying abilty. Case in point: YOU!??

Dude seriously, you blantly ignore recs then ask for help....?? get a clue
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Let's keep the discussion on track and absent personal attacks/comments, please.

To the OP, there is a significant difference between the coach course and flying camera. No where in the coach course are you taught anything about a camera outside of an Instructor (a coach is not an I) being able to certify an outside camera person who has 300 RW jumps and 50 camera jumps from jumping with a coach and student.
The coach course has some very specific, measurable, achieveable, relevant, and timely goals for each jump. Adding a camera to the coach is not one of them.
Following the USPA rules and recommendations is.

Waiting for the classical "You can't jump a camera at 135 jumps, you're going to die, you're an idiot!".

Nope, we used to say all that crap to people like you and the OP, but after all the head bashing in to walls most of us just quit providing the need advice that went unheeded.

Now days if your stupid enough do it, like a lot of people are because "a go pro is so small and no real danger" then go for it!

Strap that shit on, hell strap on more then one. One on your head facing forward and one backwards and one on each wrist too.

If your so all and knowing don't come in here and ask us shit about how to do it for one and for two don't ask us how to do it safely when you don't meet the recommendations of your home countries parachuting rules!

Other then that, have at it and maybe add some stills too, that is where the real money is anyway..... Stills.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Waiting for the classical "You can't jump a camera at 135 jumps, you're going to die, you're an idiot!".

Nope, we used to say all that crap to people like you and the OP, but after all the head bashing in to walls most of us just quit providing the need advice that went unheeded.

Now days if your stupid enough do it, like a lot of people are because "a go pro is so small and no real danger" then go for it!

Strap that shit on, hell strap on more then one. One on your head facing forward and one backwards and one on each wrist too.

If your so all and knowing don't come in here and ask us shit about how to do it for one and for two don't ask us how to do it safely when you don't meet the recommendations of your home countries parachuting rules!

Other then that, have at it and maybe add some stills too, that is where the real money is anyway..... Stills.

I went back and re-read the Original Posters' Original Post. It sounded like an electronics question. He is asking if anybody knows why his camera won't turn on, and that it has happened a couple times on jump run.

Couldn't a question like that be from anybody who is using a new piece of equipment? What does lack of jumps have to do with an un-cooperative camera?
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

Bob,

Try reading the thread for one. Second, my reply was to yet another sub two hundered jump wonder who seeks every reason in their mind as to why they are special and the rules don't/shouldn't apply to them when it comes to jumping a camera, and it's not the first time that poster has been here touting the same song and dance.

Then later on in the thread we see the OP chime in and claim that because he can pass the coach course (100 jumps min) he has the skills to fly a camera too, also not following the bsr's based on his posted number of jumps and posted statements.

1. it wouldn't be a problem if this was the BMX video fourms where anyone can attach a go pro to their handle bars and go ride. However this is skydiving and a tad more risky then BMX, as you know.

2. It would also be another thing to ask such questions if there was no issues of endangering one self or other people in sky by using it.

3. We have seen it many times in this fourm where people come here and ask questions about flying cameras with less then the industry standards to start with and then get their panties in a wad because they don't like the answers they get, that is when we hear some lame ass reply about how they are better then others and have mad skillz, after all they pass a coach course so that should mean they can fly a camera too. This thread and the responces from more then one poster is nothing new , nor a surprise and we've seen it time & time again, as I'm sure we will again in the near future.

The last thing some newly minted coach (or 100 jump wonder) needs to be focused on is a friken camera use, the focus needs to be the student 100% or the skydive.

You've been around a long time, you remember when having 50 jump to use a PC (that is paracomander, not pilot chute for you pups, ) was though of as a good idea. Then latter on it was though of as stupid. There is a reason we have rules some people will always see them as stupid, but they are in place for a good reason and like round canopy rules they maybe subject to change in the future as we progress, however we are not there yet in regards to small go pro cameras and 100 jump wonders.

The bottom line in this fourm is this, if you post questions and openly admit you don't meet the USPA BSR's or the requirements of the regulating body of your country for jumping cameras and ask questions on how to do it, how to set up your gear, what to buy and how to use it, then you can expect to hear many of the answers as those in this thread and the many other countless threads just like it!

Myself on the other hand, I'm done telling noobies why they shouldn't or how to use it, fix it, set it up, kind of like old blast handles, if you want to choose to not listen to good advice, some paid for in blood and death, then have it and go ahead and use it all you want too, but it won't be on my fun skydive or with my students or tandem or AFF jumps.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I've had the GoPro cut out in the middle of jumps a number of times on me, its a major bummer. You won't find any good answers about this camera on these forums, just egos. I would email the company, they are extremely quick with responses. I had to contact them (the black plastic top piece broke on mine) and they sent me a new part the next day free of charge. They will definitely help you out.

Just throwing this out there: I showed up to the DZ this winter to see a recently A licensed skydiver with a CVS camcorder duct taped to his helmet. Maybe GoPros are not the enemy here?

Good luck with figuring it out! BTW I started jumping mine at 180 jumps :o I hope you turn out as "lucky" as I did. hahaha

-Cam

Wow I can not believe how many people are on here preaching USPA bsr's. Do you also cut people off when they are driving too fast? Gimme a break people, grow up, I'm half expecting some do gooder pompous moron is going to call me a nitwit and tell me to go back to grade school for some negligible spelling mistake somewhere in my post. I went on this forum to try and solve a problem I am having with my GoPro. I wasn't expecting to read a bunch righteous asses getting bent out of shape because an inexperienced skydiver is jumping a GoPro.

Okay so back on Topic----- I have also been having issues with my GoPro. It stops recording mid-skydive, it has done this for about the past 30 jumps. The 100 jumps before that it was fine. Oh yea I have 270 jumps--- that means I was jumping camera at sub 200 jumps! Heaven Forbid! So I am pretty sure this is an altitude/pressure issue seeing as I can record on the ground or in the plane no problem. It's in the middle of every skydive that it stops recording. Anyone else having this problem?

Your motorcycle doesnt have lines and bridles. because death is the consequence of the mistake, something u cant get back. just happened to a newish base jumper who turned it on and forgot about it. Then the bridle wrapped around the GO PRO and they died. Think u can cutaway cause your a skydiver ? fire your reserve into main dangling from your head. Horseshoe perhaps. Your main cutting off circulation to your head in seconds from a wrap or pulling your neckstrap. U are going in fast and maybe 20 seconds to impact. Think you have the skills or luck to deal with that. Maybe worth rethinking getting that jump on crappy video or any video for that matter. not just directed at you kawa,, but all the GO PRO and video peeps out there.
dont let life pass you by

There are 3 things that I typically recommend:

1) Now with the new firmware, update it
2) tweak the battery terminals a bit to give them more "grip" during high vibrations causing it to cycle out power.
3) Place a piece of foam between where the SD card resides and the case to ensure it stays properly seated.

-Trunk
HYPOXIC