Freeflaw

how to install opteka .3 onto cx150

"Installing" a lens? You know, now might be an excellent time to go have a talk with your favorite local experienced videographer, about how to put together your helmet, how many jumps you need to jump said helmet, what to look for safety-wise when setting up your helmet, what practice jumps to do before and after you jump said helmet, what to look for technical-wise, etc etc.

And have a good look around the video forum, there are actually plenty of threads there about how to attach your lens to your camera.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

No need to patronize. I know my SIM regs, I know what safety considerations figure into this decision, I know I am pushing a little faster but thats ok cuz I gotz "mad skillz" (tongue in cheek)... I have talked to various people (about cam flying) and foraged the forum (for cam flying and my question)_...but cant seem to find any info online... I just got my lens today and would like to "attach" it now (instant gratification!). Thx

p.s. I checked the forum for "attach lens/opteka" "cx100 lens" "install lens/opteka" "mount lens/opteka" and "lens" and I couldnt find anything useful.... so if u have a thread watched pertaning to this link it ... i would be eternally greatful

Touchy, Touchy.... :S

Attaching a lens is as easy as screwing it on the front of the camera.... Trick is knowing the lens threading. CX150 has a 30mm lens filter thread. I am guessing that Opteka offers various thread options but if you have a 37mm (more or less Standard it seems) you would get a step ring 30 to 37mm. They are cheap and you would use it to connect the two.. Pretty easy... Not sure??, If you tried to screw it on and it did not work that is a good indicator the threads are different. It should say on the lens what the threads are, something like "37mm 0.3x High Definition.... blah blah" you should get the point.

Scott C.

"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

The Opteka website references the 30mm to 37mm adapter ring you'll need.
They're all over the web, and cheap.
I'm a fan of the metal rings; some folks prefer plastic.

I'm not clear on "SIM regs." Could you elaborate?

Hes probably refering to the BSRs about jumpers having > 200 jumps before jumping a camera.

Out of curiousity, why do you prefer the metal adapter and how do you secure it? (locktite, gaffers tape)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Hes probably refering to the BSRs about jumpers having > 200 jumps before jumping a camera.

Out of curiousity, why do you prefer the metal adapter and how do you secure it? (locktite, gaffers tape)

It's secured by the threads. I do use some sebum to create a natural "Loktight" but that's it.
I prefer metal because it doesn't degrade in the sun and it's more secure. Some folks prefer that a lense be torn off by a riser strike, but I'd just as soon not have that happen.

FWIW, there is no BSR regarding camera and jumping. That's one of the recommendations left to common sense.

Personally I currently use a metal step ring and I don't use anything extra other than finger tight so I can take it off if needed. I prefer the metal as I feel the plastic is less durable and if it is knocked it might release easier then a metal one. Also the metal ones seem lower in profile from what I looked at, not saying they don't have plastic ones just as thin, I just did not see them when I was looking.

That said if I am hanging on the lens for some reason the camera threads will break. Guess you could argue that you just broke your camera but I don't think that I would be in much different of a situation camera wise if the ring was plastic.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

It's secured by the threads. I do use some sebum to create a natural "Loktight" but that's it.
I prefer metal because it doesn't degrade in the sun and it's more secure. Some folks prefer that a lense be torn off by a riser strike, but I'd just as soon not have that happen.

FWIW, there is no BSR regarding camera and jumping. That's one of the recommendations left to common sense.

Hmm, sumbitch... I stand corrected.

You say 'sebum' thats the oil of the side of your nose/in your hair correct?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Yes, sebum is the stuff on your nose and found behind your ears (and in hair).
It's a natural loktite, and also acts as a pretty good lubricant to help remove the ring too, when/if that time comes.

You'd be surprised at how many folks believe there is a BSR regarding cameras. 200 jumps is a USPA recommendation to BEGIN flying camera, and tandem manufacturers recommend/require 500 jumps (with a large number of them being camera jumps) before jumping with a camera.
See SIM Section 2.1 for more info. Apologies, the C/E in me couldn't resist.:P

As soon as you said its not a BSR, I looked it up, I know Ive looked it up before, maybe I just remembered wrong.

I knew that the sebum was a good oil (many guys use it on certian parts of their guns) but never knew about it being a natural locking adhesive/lubricant... those seem to contradict each other.

I take USPA regs as recs... or was it the other way around? ;)

I guess that would depend on if you were on a USPA dropzone or not.

:)
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

I take USPA regs as recs... or was it the other way around? ;)

I can think of several that came here with a "mad skillz" attitude about recommendations (and regulations) that are either out of the sport due to body damage or death, and then there are those that are still in the sport wearing metal inside their skin. And I've only been in the sport for 5 years....

One of em' was just damaged the other day after being told to take it slower with the camera.

If you're not understanding a lens ring...you might wonder what other "simple" things you might be missing that have greater repercussions than "installing" a lens on a camera?

Was the jumper you are referring to not injured by attempting a 270 for the first time? I understand the concern for new jumpers and their antics (attitudes)... but rest assured I have always been very interested in safety and have thus far been really conservative. As a matter of fact my concern for safety prompted one instructor to ask whether skydiving was the right sport for me (implication -> chicken shit). I have 200 jumps now and am still at a 1.0 wl). Obviously I was being facetious by declaring myself to have "mad skillz". I think i realize the dangers of camera jumping (entaglement). Neverhtless my problem was purely a mechanical one as I missed the threading in front of the lens (which I though I had to replace) as my gf pointed out to me when she got home. I mean this patronizing attitude is important but it also should be applied with a little bit of discretion rather then as a standard that fits all. Just because I am a 200 jump wonder does not mean I haven't done my hw.

Obviously I was being facetious by declaring myself to have "mad skillz". I think i realize the dangers of camera jumping (entaglement).

Keep doing your homework. Entanglements are the least of a longer and more dangerous list of concerns.

What exactly have you learned as you've been doing your "homework?"

It's not meant as a criticizing question. I'm sincerly curious about what constitutes "doing homework" when it comes to flying camera?

I'd like to note that its a top mount with a cut away and all snag points have been taped of.

http://futurecam.com/beginningCameraFlying.html

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1029634;search_string=camera%20danger;#1029634

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3405178;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

- Entanglement
- Whiplash
- more complicated reserve procedures (have to be ready to chop my helmet now)
- more restricted field of vision because of globy equip
- Changes in aerodynamics because of altered helmet shape
- Eating a pc because Im on the camera step
(since im doing mostly FF and have never taken camera step this does not seem to be a concern at this time)
- alitude awarness (but I mean seriously dude... you have to have priorities straight)
- not being able to "rely" on my now disconnected RSL
...DON'T get complacent about your gear checks... safety first, cameras second...

So far I have set myself a cap for jumpers per load on which I am willing to cam(2-3 FF and tracks.) On all these jumps I am part of the group of jumpers.

In no way shape or form do I believe that I am absolutelty prepared for all the ins and outs of camera flying ... I am just not as ill prepared as some comments have made me seem ... btw thx DSE for psuhing that Giboline project

Funny how you missed the most important risk...

What's even funnier is that he made up a new one...

- Changes in aerodynamics because of altered helmet shape

I guess I was lucky my aerodynamics didn't kill me in my early days of jumping camera. I knew a guy who met a guy who heard a story about a guy who's camera helmet spun him up into line twists this one time....

That might have been me... If I'm not constantly on top of the situation and monitoring the airflow around my head I can get myself in a lot of trouble during freefall... it's like a full time job. Really... I don't even know how I seem to manage it.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

p.s. I went to Perris today and talked to two very experienced camera flyers... oddly enough there was no mention of this most dangerous and mysterious aspect of camera flying that you guys here have alluded to.... what I heard is (once again since this isnt the first time I talked to people about this shananigan) - entanglement, whiplash, AA (safety first, camera second) and more complicated reserve procedure. So what am I missing here?

Have you read the ****READ ME FIRST/FAQ**** topic?

The answer is right there!

p.s. I went to Perris today and talked to two very experienced camera flyers... oddly enough there was no mention of this most dangerous and mysterious aspect of camera flying that you guys here have alluded to.... what I heard is (once again since this isnt the first time I talked to people about this shananigan) - entanglement, whiplash, AA (safety first, camera second) and more complicated reserve procedure. So what am I missing here?