aardvarkeater

Drift Innovation HD170 - New Competitor to the GoPro

really nice image too.

Link?

Are there any 60fps options?

I'd like to see something good from this camera too.
The one piece of video I've received was terrible, mounted on a motorcycle.

No idea how good the HD version is, but a guy at my DZ has the non-HD one and it is absolutely awful!!

Run it full screen. Notice the grossly oversaturated colors (reduces the required bandwidth for compression). GoPro does the same thing, but to a lesser extent. The GoPro vid that I'm getting isn't as macroblocked, either. I *suspect* that GoPro has a larger imager, but that's just a suspicion. Tiny is tiny regardless. It's also possible that other factors play into it, but without shooting test charts in a couple lighting conditions...hard to have any valid opinion.

well...they're both crap for being "cameras" so from that perspective, even an i4 is fine for Joe Skydiver, debriefing, etc. Beyond that....none of em' are good for much, although I see some stuff on MTV from BASE helmets and have seen one or two bits of heavily processed GoPro as well.
It's ugly, but at the same time...it comes down to content vs quality.

It's the "dumbing down" that I worry about. We're doing the same thing with video that we've done with audio. A huge majority of people in the world no longer know what great music sounds like when recorded well, because iTunes (compression for MP3 or AAC) destroys it. Same is happening in video.[:/]

Hi Guys

Tom at Drift Innovation here, glad to see that the Drift is causing some discussion, and attention with everyone. If anyone has any specific questions I am happy to help.

With regards to email responses, I do apologise but we have had some issues with our contact page on the website and emails from the website have not been getting through us.

If you email directly to info@driftinnovation, all emails are responded to within 24 hours. The contact pages have also been fixed as of Friday.

With regards to samples, feel free to take a look at our Vimeo channel which has some great samples;

http://vimeo.com/13919846

http://vimeo.com/12456094

If you'd like to have a look at some raw video, please download the clip below from Rapidshare.

http://rapidshare.com/files/417414078/FILE0005.MOV.html

Tom

Have a look at the Skydive the well page on Facebook - there's some footage of a balloon jump shot the other day (obviously image quality has been reduced because of FB) - for a small neat camera (complete with screen for quick reviews) ...

Probably not a camera for the purists - but from what i've seen it's a beat package that does enough for the average skydiver ...

In fact we will now be stocking them in the UKS Gear store and will have one for people to play with at the UKS BOOGIE this weekend ...