aardvarkeater

Drift Innovation HD170 - New Competitor to the GoPro

Looks interesting. I like the following description on the manufacturer page:

"It can take photos, put it in the photo burst mode and you can take pictures every few seconds for as long as your memory card lasts. If you don't get a decent photo then you need to do something else or give the camera to someone else who can really use it" :S

Scott C.

"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I've had the chance to try the SD version of this camera (X170) and it was awesome the only thing it was missing was video quality and now it's there with the HD version.

I will be very suprised if this doesn't become more popular than the GoPro.

It's got several useful features which i believe makes it better than the GoPro.

- The Display so you can watch footage back on the camera
- The ability to zoom in if the lens is too wide for you
- A rotating lens so you can film upside down (ideal for head down)
- Has a wireless remote to start/stop recording
- I believe the shape makes it much better for top mounting as it can sit quite flush and less chance of snag. It also has the thread on the bottom for a screw.

Having said that i havn't actually got my hands on the HD version yet but im sure i won't be dissapointed! If anyone has tried the HD version out in the air yet i would love to hear your opinions?

Hi there,

I’ve been trialling the new Drift 170 HD for the skydiving market and can honestly say that you have a very complete package with this camera. In fact I would say that this is the best all round camera for skydivers on the market, far exceeding standards set by the Go-Pro range.

The camera has three settings SD, 720 and 1080 which allows for greater versatility in regards to the style of filming you would like to do. Even in SD mode the picture quality is great and does not suffer from any over exposure. One major improvement is the addition of a digital zoom feature, making the camera the weapon of choice for a variety of different disciplines. Whether its close up; headown sequentials or AFF where the flyer is in close proximity to other flyers, or filming 4 way, tandem, freefly or just good old fun jumping at a distance this camera does the business!

The rotational lens (That changes the orientation of the footage) is another extremely neat addition and makes the camera perfect for both freefly filming (Upside down) and standard filming. The cameras natural home in my opinion is the top mount where it is out of the way and less prone to riser slap or other issues with rigging lines. The camera can be fixed with a standard 8 mm screw or a quick release bracket. The camera, whether fixed with the screw or the bracket is extremely low profile due to its flat design making it less prone to getting smashed and knocked on exit as with the Go-Pro style of camera. The robust design of the camera body with its smooth lines and tough outer shell means that even when things get a bit narley (E.g. Big Way exits) you can have compete confidence that the camera is still gonna be there on the top of your helmet doing its job and not endangering other flyers (Snags and collisions) by being in a low profile position.

Another great feature is the display screen that allows for accurate adjustment in regards to camera set up (Not the Go-Pro guessing game with this camera) and the ability to brief and debrief on the ride to altitude. A massive bonus!!!!! This feature alone enables the drift to stand head and shoulders above its rivals in terms of functionality and ease of use. Its ergonomic design and user friendly format is a joy to use.

With this camera you also get a wrist mounted remote control that can be synced with a number of units. The control itself has two buttons; on and off. Which means that if your not sure the camera is recording you simply keep pushing the record button. Having trialed this product for quite some time it has never let me down. Of course for competition I would recommend the addition of a mirror to the wrist strap or check from a third party as a SOP.

Other features:
Night mode (Not IR, image enhanced)
Still photo mode
Water proof
Multitude of bracket / mount systems

Seriously I could go on all day about this camera. To put it quite simply I believe that this camera is the most complete (In terms of video quality), functional and versatile action camera on the market and dare I say it, the only camera your ever gonna need for skydiving / action sports! Dudes, the days of bolting on handycam variant cameras to your helmet are well over. Whether you’re a team camera man at high level competition, fun jumper, instructor or tandem camera man, this is most defiantly the way ahead!

Andy Newell
Team camera man for Outbreak freefly and Volare

http://www.darksidefreefly.com/member_cv.php?id=12

www.darksidefreefly.com

It's a nice piece of kit, but the one thing I do like about my Go Pro is that when I was Spain, I spent one day filming myself playing around at Empurabravia at 13,500 ft. , then two days later at 85 feet down in the Mediterranean while scuba diving.

From what I understand, this unit is only water resistant down to .5 meters.

Since I like to use my camera for both hobbies, the Go Pro is still the most adaptable. But if you're into jumping only, then this could be a good way to go. Would like to see how it does with more people using it and giving their impressions. It definitely has a more streamlined design than the "box".:)

Looks very interesting! Lacks the underwater capabilities and the 60 fps mode, which takes away from this little toy in my mind, but the little review screen and remote somewhat compensate for it.

I would say lets all ask DSE and Trunk for a complete review/field trials and comparisons. I cant say enough how useful those were for me when it came time to get a GoPro HD.

For skydiving...

Cam/Hype Eye or equivalent????? Sorry, but that’s a deal breaker. Holding a remote control in my hand is not going to cut it. Sure, I could attach it somehow to my gear. But I sure like those little LED’s telling me what’s going on. So, it’s not what I’d call “sliced bread”.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I've emailed Drift Innovation for a 30 day review unit. Thus far, no response. I've also emailed asking for the bitrate of their video encode. Thus far, no response. It appears to be AVC, but I'd sure like to see what it is, first.

I've emailed Drift Innovation for a 30 day review unit. Thus far, no response. I've also emailed asking for the bitrate of their video encode. Thus far, no response. It appears to be AVC, but I'd sure like to see what it is, first.

+1
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

They've updated the original review:

Update: This review originally and incorrectly stated that the HD170 suffers from excessive "jelly vision" effect compared to the competition. Further testing has revealed that to not be the case. We've updated the text and added a new video. Also, the folks at Drift have passed on a few additional videos to share.

And some more food for thought:
Footage comparisons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXPKHbOm7o

Test of zoom capabilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTs91kCLymU

Has anyone used this yet? After having my GoPro HD lost on a jump, this one is starting to look like a more interesting option

I got mine in last week - havn't had the chance to jump it yet, but first impressions are that its a versatile wee camera, with plenty of mounting options in the box. Trial videos look good on all 3 settings (1080p, 720 and standard). I have it mounted on my helmet so will try some jumps on the different settings to see which will work best since there are different wide angles on each setting.
I will post results once I've jumped it a few times.......

Hobbes: "How come we play 'War' and not 'Peace'?"
Calvin: "Too few role models."

They've updated the original review:

Update: This review originally and incorrectly stated that the HD170 suffers from excessive "jelly vision" effect compared to the competition. Further testing has revealed that to not be the case. We've updated the text and added a new video. Also, the folks at Drift have passed on a few additional videos to share.

And some more food for thought:
Footage comparisons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGXPKHbOm7o

Test of zoom capabilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTs91kCLymU

Has anyone used this yet? After having my GoPro HD lost on a jump, this one is starting to look like a more interesting option

Couple of reviews of it by some guys using it for off roading have mirrored what the engadget write up said about crappy playback, really dark footage and simply not working properly. All have since ditched the Drift camera for the Go Pro HD.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Kind of about what I expected.
Pixel stretch
Oversaturation
macroblocking
There isn't enough vibration in the shot to indicate how bad the macroblocking would be for the average joe.

It's golden hour so hard to see what it really looks like. It's not dark enough to challenge the light sensitivity and not bright enough to see how it manages typical use. In other words, a GREAT marketing clip (except for the stretch and macroblocking).

I'd really like to try this camera in the real world. A shame they haven't responded to three emails.