frost

GoPro HD for 3D images

Couldnt find anything 3D specific to GoPros... I guess setting these up to later make a 3D video is easy enough, but i am wondering if anyone has successfully adapted two GoPros to be able to shoot dynamic objects to create 3D photos. Could potentially be done, but how would you sync them?

The easiest way to sync a non-genlocked system is to CLAP loudly with both running.
The audio spike that you'll see in the NLE will sync them perfectly.
for long shots (like...20 mins) you'll have a single frame drift, but that's no big thing. Clocks are different on all of these, but again...single frame over time? No big deal.

Good tip actually, thanks! But you're talking about video recording mode, right? I meant the picture every two seconds mode - for 3D photos. How would one be able to make the two side by side GoPros to take a picture at exactly the same time?

Ahh...photo every two...I don't believe there is an accurate means of syncing them without some sort of external triggering device. Trunk has ripped into them, maybe he's got some concept of how to simu-start them via the USB port, but I don't know that the system allows for this.

There's a free firmware for the Canon powershot series of p&s cameras that allows syncronized remote shots with those cameras. You could probably buy two powershots on ebay for the price of one gp. Google Stereo Data Maker if youre interested.

/Jonathan

I use it for video, not still pictures. I clap my hands and use the audio spike in to sync the two timelines. As far as parralax/ocular convergance goes, I flatten the cameras out to more like two degrees of convergance. In that picture I was just happy with my crappy sewing getting the mount together. I use video projectors and lcd's to display my content. If your in the L.A. area I'd be happy to invite you to my office or hangar to check out some of the 3D work I've done.

love to see what you're doing. I just left the LA area, won't be back for a coupla months.
You're timing the two projectors together and sending two signals out? creating the offset and burning that to a single file?

There are a few ways to deal with the projectors. Cheap and dirty is to double stack (converge) 2 pjs on a siver screen, with a polarizer in front of each one H and one V. If you anamorphicaly compess both eyes 50% and lay them down side by side as one channel of video your timing is taken care of. Use sizing on the projectors to fill the screens with the eye you want to see. Put on your polarized glasses and enjoy. The other option is realtively expensive and would take a fair bit of space to explain, but look up dolbys color wheel setup. If your ever in L.A. do feel free to call.

Regards,

Jim

Just a bit to add to this thread. I got an email from them the other day concerning the 3d kit, "as of now we're looking at a Feb or March release date." Since they have been talking about the LCD Bacpac since they released the GoPro HD I'm not holding my breath. I'm kinda inclined to think its a patent issue since the patent involving the bacpac, etc is still pending.

On another note, it's very unlikely that I will be able to do anything before this release date or at least the next firmware update. A little detective work uncovered that both the 3D sync and the LCD Bacpac features are currently turned off in the latest firmware update. I've uncovered a bunch, but right now, it seems they are not even done developing.

-Trunk
HYPOXIC

I wonder what are they expecting the 3d kit to add? I have seen the pictures of it online and apart from synchronising the start button I cant see why it is so revolutionary. we have knocked up a 3d camera a while ago from 2 go pros and it works real well, have output to red/cyan and also but much much better on hd 3d tv. We can process a 3d tandem video as quickly as a normal dvd but we don't think there is much of a market for it. There are a few major issues relating to the go pro cameras and close up stuff (ie tandems) but wide angle stuff works well with a camera flyer. To be honest though skydiving (except formation flying) is not that great in 3d because everything is either real close or real far away and 3d likes stuff at lots of different points in space, does that make sense?

that clapping thing that was mentioned earlier doesn't work well enough for fast action, we found you can still be a frame or 2 off which ruins the effect also gives you a headache.

its a funny thing 3d, we are still wondering if it is just a fad. the tandem videos we have produced are kinda cool but kinda pointless.

If you're a "frame or two off" with a clap, there is likely something "off" within your editing software.

Claps, audio slates, burst gens, flashpops, even dog-training clickers are used every day in the film, video, and 3D production biz as sync points. Audio that is within even a 1/10sec window is just fine, but tools like Vegas and Edius allow for sample-locking (1/1000).
Syncing the start time isn't "revolutionary"; syncing the shutter is.

I agree, there isn't a market for 3D tandems, at least not at this point in time, and likely not for many years to come. 3D definitely isn't a fad, but it's extremely early-adopter stuff.
This past year, I've found our company becoming more and more immersed into the world of 3D production, consulting, software development and presentation.
It's very cool in specific applications. I don't believe general skydiving fits those applications *just yet.*

I have made videos that are 1/10 of a sec out and they look bad, we are talking go pro here so it is a lot of close up fast moving stuff and the images get out of sync. 1/25 of a second out what I aim for. I have noticed that the shutters are out of sync so I can never be spot on, potentially up to half a frame which is in theory only 1/50 sec.

I guess synced shutters is good for still but we just do screenshots out of the main movie, in fact printed 3d stills are a whole letter better/cooler than the 3d video.

I guess if you're making a movie you have more time to edit etc.

Just going from my observations, we used a click as a sync point and that sound carries over 2-3 frames, mainly that is close enough, but once we get into the thick of the close up action the frames are slightly out of sync and you lose the effect. only slightly, but it takes a split second to get it back and it sort of ruins the effect. it is a whole heap better if you spend a couple of minutes visually checking and shift one of the streams by a frame or two to get it perfectly aligned.

Personally I am still unconvinced by 3d, if they ever make a tv set that allows mass viewing but doesnt need glasses then it will be a goer, but is that possible? i guess they can get to the moon so anything is possible To quote my favorite film critic 'think of your favourite film, would it have been any better in 3d?' the answer is probably no (unless your answer was avatar).

There is definately a place for 3d, but hey there always has been, I remember watching nightmare on elm st, jaws, 3d comics and the new 3d tvs are certainly impressive, maybe once the price drops I will buy one.

Still get the impression that hollywood largely sees 3d as a mixture of anti piracy and gimmickry.

But Avatar did show us that it can be quite cool