Skydivesg

CX100 direct to DVD

I've noticed on some ebay ads that the CX100 is bundled with cables like RCA and Component.

Can you plug a cable into the camera and record directly to a DVD recorder without going through the capture process of the computer?

No editing just a direct burn, avoiding the use of a computer?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

You generally do not edit tandemvideos in HDV, unless the passenger is wanting and paying for a blu-ray disc (not many places worldwide offering these yet).
Just record in either SD or HDV mode with any CX series camera, then use the A/V port to edit, just like most people do with miniDV cameras. You need: a display (TV or LCD), a mixing board, 1 or 2 music sources and a dvd recorder.
I've never seen a tape mixing deck like that though, but if it accepts A/V in it might work. I'd go with the standard linear system like I mentioned though, those can handle both tape and non-tape cameras.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

So I know our DZ has all the equipment.. I'll have to double check to make sure they have an A/V port..

The Sony Digital VCR Mini DV player http://ii.alatest.com/product/600x400/2/b/Sony-GV-D1000E-Digital-VCR-Mini-DV-2-head-s-0.jpg is just to play the video into the board I believe.. rewind/play/fast foward/ slowmo...

My cx100 is currently set:

Settings -> Movie settings -> HD

I have to set it to:

Settings -> Movie settings -> SD
before it will work through the editing board?..

Stupid question.. Whats the difference between SD/ HD ??

Thanks for all your help.

Settings -> Movie settings -> SD
before it will work through the editing board?..

Nope, either mode will do. The output depends on the cable you use, A/V outputs SD only, regardless of the source footage.

Whats the difference between SD/ HD ??

Standard definition, high definition. Standard def is what ends up on a dvd disc, for highdef end-product for the customer you need blu-ray discs.

If you edit on a computer you can work with both formats but editing highdef source footage takes a much better/faster/newer pc to do quick.

For archiving, highdef takes up much more harddrive space (but of course is better quality).

For HD (and for HD cameras even if you're shooting in SD), a HD wide angle lens is highly recommended, for instance the raynox hd3032pro and raynox hd5050pro are great and affordable skydiving lenses. Best to ditch/sell your old wide angle lenses...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I tend to edit on my personal videos on my computer..., however my dz still has tapes, and I hate tapes! I don't want to have to buy an old school DV camera to shoot tandems there.. so I'm pusthing them to get HD stuff.. however if HD boards cost an arm and a leg maybe I can just figure out for them how to plug my camera into their board and edit off my cx and I'll be a happy camper! hence all the questions!

on a side note:

I tend to shoot in HD and edit on my computer... and burn to a DVD to watch on a t.v... however when I render, i render it out at 720 at 30FPS.. (1080 takes far to long to render)

Should I just shoot in SD, edit on my computer and render it at 720 30fps..? would that make a difference at all? quality and time?..

for highdef end-product for the customer you need blu-ray discs.

Yes and no. If you want to have a full length video in HD you will need the storage abilities of the BD disk. If you are looking at doing it at the typical skydiving video length of 10-12 minutes then you could just burn it as an AVCHD disk on a regular DVD player and it will contain HD footage only playable in a Bluray player.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com