azureriders

cx150 quick connect - media slot

just wondering how everyone is handling the bottom of camera card slot on the 150. I assume it is something easier than what I did.

Using a Quick Quad, my original plan was to use the mounting screw in one of the offset holes (where a guide pin should be) and install a guide pin in the center hole (where the mounting screw should be). This would allow for the card slot door to open. It worked, the only thing was that with the mounting screw off centered on the Quick Quad plate, it tended to ride up on the other side, the side opposite from the screw. Although minor, this would cause the camera to look upward, and I was not happy with the sturdyness.

So I took the bottom of my camera off (yes, my brand new cx150) Dremeled off the plastic insert for the guide pin, and replaced it with a barrel nut that I made. So now my cx150 has two threaded holes in the bottom, instead of one threaded and one guide pin hole. The Quick Quad mounts up great and supper sturdy useing two screws, and the card slot door opens fine, but it was some work.

So what is everyone else doing?

Okay, I don't own one yet so I didn't speak up. But if you really want an answer,...

If it were me, I would simply use USB to transfer. Seems simpler than taking the camera off, or doing mods. HEll, I don't even like using quick releases or boxes on my helmet--just a screw works fine. I know these are consumer cams and 99 percent of the world will never use a tripod (much less a helmet), but I really hate it when manufacturers do stuff like this (like the Sony DV/HDV cams that had bottom loading tapes). I still use an HVR-A1U as a second camera for event videos, and it is a real hassle to change tapes in the middle. Done venting, but I feel your pain...

If it were me, I would simply use USB to transfer

Yep, would work just fine for many, however not for me. We use a full time editor and vedeographers often make turn around after turn around. I have to be able to switch the media, dropping one off to the editor, and get back in flight.

edited to say: thanks for talking to me Phil