Fritte

GoPro mount

I thought I looked stupid with my camera on top of my helmet so I asked a friend who makes satelit parts to make me a nice mount. He sure did. Here is the result!

You can mount it anywhere on your helmet, all you need to do is drill two 5mm holes.

The mount is CNC machined aluminium and has the meassures 40x28x11mm.

I love it, it looks so much better and aims straight on the target.

More pictures http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Frittet/GoPro%20mount/

If you want one, have a look at http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=92988;d=1

[edited by moderator]

The GoPro mount is a huge snag factor but what makes it work in theory is that the mount is plactic and just taped on so if lines get around it, it will break off (in theory). Your mount is not so if lines get caught around it there is no engineered week link to get the lines off the helmet. IMHO that makes it a very bad idea
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Why would that mount be any worse than a Sony on a sidemount?
Or a newton sight?

Everyone seems to think that when mounting a sony it should be a sturdy mount, and when you mount a GoPro or Contour they should fall of if you sneeze and that anything else is dangerous.
But how is it more dangerous to have GoPro hung up in the lines than a newtonsight/sony?

I have got similar questions from most people that seen my setup.
First question: Is that velcro? Do you really think thats going to hold?
Its 3M duallock velcro
And when they cant rip off the camera they say, but it has to fall off if your lines get cought in it!

Why? I have a cutaway system on my helmet just as everyone else that jumps with camera, so why should GoPros/Contours fall off when Sonys stay?

Please explain because i dont understand it

I am not sure if you have paid close attention to how popular the GoPro is becoming(or at least at my DZ). Most of the people that have one have it mounted to a helmet with no cut away system in place(which is why they need a mount that has a week link so incase of lines getting snaged in it it will come off).
There is no difference between lines getting caught on a Gopro or a ringsite, but most camera setups that a person has a ringsite there is some kind of quick release system for the entire helmet. Hard mounting a GoPro to a helmet without any kind of quick release setup I personally think is a bad idea.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Dang!!
Are they even allowd to jump with camera without cutaway?

Even if i where allowd i would never trust something to fall off as a weak link.

Ok i see your point, in the case when there is no cutaway.
But if you dont already have rules regarding cameras (or anything outside the helmet) and cutaway requrement, i would atleast suggest a DZ rule about it.
And just ground those who dont follow the rules.

I would not jump that setup until you install a robust cuttaway system.

The one advantage of the Go-Pro setup is that the mount would break during an entanglement. You've just taken out the only thing that made the thing usable to jump.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

A plastic mount breaks in case of severe stress.
Does this setup ad a cutaway option to the helmet to compensate?

Has anyone tested that?

Those mounts seem pretty solid to me.

I wrapped a line around one with a 25lb dumbell on the end and the plastic mount snapped.

If your all that worried about entanglements, mount it with nylon screws.

I don't get the overstated need for a cutaway on a lightweight openface helmet. The plastic latch on the chinstrap is very accesible and easily removed with one hand. Heck I've removed my optik illusion well over 1000 times with just two fingers on the chin cup. If the day comes that I need to remove my helmet as an ep I'm fairly confidant that muscle memery will come to my aid, and be quicker than locating a seldom used cutaway on the side of my helmet.

By the way to the op, nice machine work.

If your all that worried about entanglements, mount it with nylon screws.

I don't get the overstated need for a cutaway on a lightweight openface helmet. The plastic latch on the chinstrap is very accesible and easily removed with one hand. Heck I've removed my optik illusion well over 1000 times with just two fingers on the chin cup. If the day comes that I need to remove my helmet as an ep I'm fairly confidant that muscle memery will come to my aid, and be quicker than locating a seldom used cutaway on the side of my helmet.

By the way to the op, nice machine work.

Have you tried the fastex release while the helmet is under stress, pulling against your chin?
It does become a lot more difficult.

Have you tried the fastex release while the helmet is under stress, pulling against your chin?
It does become a lot more difficult.

I've applied pressure to mine (one from a bonehead pimp daddy) and can't notice much of an increase in the pressure required to open it, but I've not tested it while on the head. Is it because it digs into the chin?

I have a mounting question. I put the curved mount on my Ion- cleaned the spot I wanted and stuck it on there. I could not find a placement where all four corners of the mount were flush with the helmet. So, I think about 75% of the mount is on there with the four corners having a bit of space between the adhesive and the surface- although not much.

Is this OK? The thing is on there tight but I don't want it falling off in freefall.

Steve

Some other mounts for front mounting the HERO. One is an upside down front mount. Advantage is that an additional camera still goes on top of the helmet. With standard gopro glue mounts the camera is exposed over the top line of the helmet and no second top mounted cam is possible. Also the hard plastic foot of the camera case can break (eg door frame) and that means 299 bucks gone. The second mount secures the camera with additional bungee straps.

I'd choose looking stupid over dangerous every day of the week. And concerning looks, I don't see how the normal GoPro mounts look more stupid then your buddy's mount. "Looks" pretty much the same to me.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane"

I'd choose looking stupid over dangerous every day of the week. And concerning looks, I don't see how the normal GoPro mounts look more stupid then your buddy's mount. "Looks" pretty much the same to me.

Agree... But his buddy has some skills with the cnc machine though..;)

GoPro Low Profile Permanent Mount from hypoxic is excellent and should be used with a helmet that has a cutaway system.

The low rent, cheapo mount in the attached pics is basically $9 worth of L brackets, T-nuts, bolts and washers.
I cover the mount with some gaffer tape just to make it a little less sang-alicious. I recommend nylon bolts instead of metal (going to home depot tonight)
Sorry about the paint job.
Use with cutaway helmets only, at your own risk and so on
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

Just a FYI...
this company makes some really good stuff

http://deltagearinc.com/Kit&Tools/CameraMounts/go_pro_low_pro_mount.htm

http://deltagearinc.com/Kit&Tools/CameraMounts/low_pro_stealth_mount.htm

hope this helps

I bought one and used it yesterday, I like it. B|
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041