jumpwally

Are you a Canonite ? or a Nikonista ?

......and why ? :ph34r:

Canon... because that's what I started with and I'm starting to get a few nice lenses now...

I suppose I might change some day if Canon decided to suddenly change their lens mount...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I'm a Canon guy that owns several Nikon lenses, but prefer the Canon way of thinking through how the camera is set up. I also like the color mechanics of Canon, but that's a subjective view too.
They're both very good camera brands. Canon top to bottom is easy to connect remote switches to, Nikon is less so on the bottom end (IR vs hardwire), but many also use the lower end Nikon models.
Aftermarket lenses are about the same for the two brands in terms of availability.

The 350D was my first DSLR body five years ago because it is super lightweight, full featured, and has a very respectable sensor.

Since then, well... The Canon 70-200 mm f2.8L IS is probably my single favorite purchase I've ever made.

Nikon. I started out with a Canon 30D (great camera for its day, and the only one even remotely affordable). After 40k clicks or so I switched to a 300D because it was lighter and had a nice simple remote. What a piece of crap that camera was. Refused to work a bunch of times (WorldTeam 2004 had a lot of error99, ask Bruno..., Dutch 100 again out of a Herc and again the same err99.... ) The more expensive 10D and sometimes the 20D had the same problem although less often. Not having pictures time and time again due to an unexplainable error (err99 means "we don't know", and yes we tried every card, battery, had original Canon lenses etc) made me very annoyed >:(

So I sold the camera and lenses and switched to Nikon D70. After D70s, D80, D200, D2X (not for jumping though), and now D300 I'm still a very happy camper.

For skydiving, Nikon cameras expose better: they usually work spot-on with matrix lighting, but with Canon I always had to use spot metering or similar and keep the subject in the center against a blue sky to get a decently exposed image. Nikon made this way way easier.

Nikon has very good if not the best flash system on the market: the Creative Lighting System. If you use your camera on the ground with separate flashes, this is great.

Also With Nikon you can use old lenses, Canon switched in 1987 (?) so for nice old glass (either cheap f2.8 stuff or more expotic type lenses) Nikon is the way to go.

For newbie camera flyers who just want a low-end camera you are probably better off with a Canon, because of the simple remote and if you want to buy an "up" lens you always have autofocus. But if you're in the market for a more pro-sumer camera like the D50 and have not invested in lenses yet, the D300 is simply a better camera for about the same money (and the cheaper D90 is no slouch either) so Nikon here is often a better choice IMO. Once you have invested in lenses of any brand you're kinda stuck, as good lenses are more expensive than cameras.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I started out with a Canon 30D (great camera for its day, and the only one even remotely affordable). After 40k clicks or so I switched to a 300D because it was lighter and had a nice simple remote. What a piece of crap that camera was. Refused to work a bunch of times (WorldTeam 2004 had a lot of error99, ask Bruno..., Dutch 100 again out of a Herc and again the same err99.... ) The more expensive 10D and sometimes the 20D had the same problem although less often. Not having pictures time and time again due to an unexplainable error (err99 means "we don't know", and yes we tried every card, battery, had original Canon lenses etc) made me very annoyed Mad

Hi Saskia, you´re talking about problems with Canon cameras that happened 6 years ago....there´s been a big evolution in camera gear since then.
i still use Canon cameras and lenses and i am very happy with it. I think both brands produce great cameras for use in skydiving (both low and high end)..
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

well...if we're on the subject of problems...
One of the photographers here just purchased a D300 on the advice of another skydiving photographer.
He's been frustrated (and grounded) for three days because he can't get the blowswitch/IR combination working correctly. Ne's nearly thrown the Nikon against the wall in frustration as he watches everyone else getting work and he's not, simply because he can't get the IR to work 100% of the time, and the camera doesn't have a wired option.
YMMV.

I use the Canon 350D, why?
Because I bought it 5 years ago and it just won't break down or give me any kind of trouble.
Of all the gear I've been using on commercial jumps, the Canon is the most reliable yet. (I think about 1200 jumps and going strong)
"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio

I know Canon is fine now, but that was when I sold all my Canon cameras + lenses lenses and made the switch to Nikon. Nikon is fine too, and I've got too much invested in lenses, flashes etc now to switch back.

I must say though, yesterday we had 3 out of the 5 cameramen jumping Canon, of which 2 had lighting-related problems with their lower end cameras. One almost always needs to under-expose his shots, the other has a problems with half his pictures, where the exif says f/7.1 but the picture looks overexposed (like f/3.5). My Nikon D300 never does anything like that :):P

ciel bleu,
Saskia

shows ya how close I follow those Nikon model #'s.:$
Fairly bottom end camera, has to set the external remote for every jump, can't use the body control when it's in the IR mode.

Yeah, which is why for low-end models Canon is a better choice for skydiving. The D5000 is fine though, the first low-end model with a wired remote, there is hope yet ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hello,

I’m a CANONite.

I use all Canon equipment for skydive or ground work.

Canon 7D, 350D, 1000D and 450D, and a lot of lens.

As I can read, some Douglas friend can’t use is Nikon D300 or D300s for skydive ?

As I now, is possible to use a blow, tongue or bite switch with this model. See the attach files, and user manual link.

This camera model (Nikon D300 and D300s) use the conventional 10-pin plug, easy to prepare for the skydive uses.

Nikon manual: http://support.nikontech.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14435

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD300/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/NikonD300s/

Best regards,
Nuno Lobo Paulo
Skydive Ultimate Switch . www.ultimate-switch.com
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 00351 919 327 315

Canon.
Back then when I started digital photography Canon was a significantly better option.
Canon used CMOS sensors already vs. Nikon’s CCD, Canon had ISO 100 vs. Nikon’s ISO200, and of course the remote shutter issue as well. Now days Nikon just as good, but not better, plus I have the line of Canon lenses and other accessories already.
-Laszlo-

Just looked at Jose's system again, it's the D3000, not 300, just as you pointed out.
After a lot of futzing, we got the IR functioning correctly. It merely doesn't like being out of perfect line. We moved his ringsight, put the IR higher so it's now 2" away from the receiver on the camera, and it works pretty well.
Still has to be set in the aircraft tho, and that's something I don't like at all. messing with the LCD menu isn't very efficient. Of course, you can set it on the ground and just take all your ground shots with the blow switch.:D

Just looked at Jose's system again, it's the D3000, not 300, just as you pointed out.
After a lot of futzing, we got the IR functioning correctly. It merely doesn't like being out of perfect line. We moved his ringsight, put the IR higher so it's now 2" away from the receiver on the camera, and it works pretty well.
Still has to be set in the aircraft tho, and that's something I don't like at all. messing with the LCD menu isn't very efficient. Of course, you can set it on the ground and just take all your ground shots with the blow switch.:D

We used to stick the IR receiver to the lens with a rubber band.

It's not a perfectly reliable system, you have to set the IR mode every jump (though you can set it for 15 minutes or so), the battery of the IR needs replacing every now and then and still I didn't get pictures on every jump. So for paid jumps, not a very good idea. For fun, sure, it's cheap if you already had the camera for ground stuff. But if he jumps stills often I'll bet he'll be wanting another camera soon... :|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I find technology very interesting like this. We like to believe that whatever system we have invested in is the best system and don't like to admit that other systems are as good or even better! We then try to convince others to invest in the same system we use! Some of the fanboy 'discussions' on sites like dpreview.com get absolutely ridiculous!

I personally use canon - when i wanted my first dslr in 2005 i wanted to go with Nikon as my film kit was Nikon. However the D70 (which was the only one within my budget) only had an IR remote port. So i switched to Canon - just after this the D70s came out!

I have a couple of Canon bodies (350D and 5D) and a few lenses (15mm, 20mm, 10-17mm) and a flashgun and am very happy. I am sure I would be equally as happy with Nikon.
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

I dont think there are major differences with different camera bodies.

However, I like the canon lineup of lenses. This I consider a plus for the canon user.

Nikon has also exellent lenses, but canon has more variety and perhaps better price/quality ratio. This is the advantage of a large mfg.

Just to muddy the water and reply to something I don't even have ;)

I use an Olympus E-510 and E-620. No issues so far. Great results with skydiving photos simply because the 4/3 sensor does excellent in brighter light conditions.

Just don't ask me to shoot hand held low light conditions.

Easy to wire in your switch, and both bodies are extremely lightweight. Just make sure you turn off the stabilization for the sensor.

When I switched from Manual Focus to Auto Focus, I ditched Nikon and switched to Canon because of the larger series of lenses and accessories.

I do not regret the change in any way, although my grandfather would be rolling in his grave, he got me tied to Nikormat decades ago. I walked away from a large collection of manual-focus lenses when I made the switch.

In the pile of old camera gear in the closet:

1 Nikkormat FT
1 NikonFM10
1 Nikon FM50
1 Canon Rebel
1 Leica
1 Speed Graphics

I am loving Canon, but frequently find myself having lens-envy.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I bought my first slr in 1982 when I start study photography. A Canon AE1 with a 50 mm f1.8 lens, a popular and affordable set up of that era, but I can't stop admiring my teacher lovely Nikon F3.
In 1991 I start skydiving photography with a Canon P&S, modified with the shutter cables sticking out, which gives me some good results. When I was ready to invest, finally I got a Nikon N2000, a real workhorse I jumped for 13 years! with a Nikkor 28mm f2.8, a jewel of lens, with which I took almost all my pics until I start with digital in 2002, with a D100, the first affordable Nikon dslr (2000u$s!!!). Soon I found out the need to shoot in raw and this camera has an small buffer. Then, I don't have another option but to buy the brick: the D1x for the FS WR in 2004. Then got the D70, D2x, D40x, D80, D300 & D90.
The beginnings in digital with Nikon were hard, resolution wasn't there, and people switching to Canon in band. That's was good in part because I got very good deals in used lenses :-)
With the D80 I start to be happy (and finally left my medium format in the ground). I still have some envy of Canon resolution, but I like better the Nikon colors, the ergonomics and feel of the bodies, and the 10.5 & the 16 mm are excellent fisheye lenses, and very good reasons to use Nikon.
Is funny: when Nikon finally surpassed Canon in sensitivity with the D3 (some pros switch back just for this camera), and in resolution with the D3x (24 mpxs), Canon kicked Nikon's ass again with the new thing of HD video in a photo camera... amazing times!
Gustavo
Pd. by the way: Nikonista is in spanish, Nikonian is in english ;)