kawisixer01

Can I use my D90?

I bought a d90 a few months ago and have been slowly learning how to use it well. I was thinking about getting a helmet and switch for it to use for skydiving sometime down the road when I get higher jump numbers. I've heard some comments from other guys about the d90 being too big. Does anyone use one and do they feel this is too big of a cam for jumping with? Also I am curious about how much goes into getting a cam set up for jumping. Is it easy to demount and use as a normal cam or is there too much stuff to set up to be taking it on and off to use for other photog? Thanks!

You can use a D90 for skydiving, but most people start with just a video camera for the first few (hundred) jumps, as a videocamera is better for viewing what YOU are doing, is more useful for most people as video is used for debriefing, and a videocamera is much less of a distraction (less settings to set and only have to to turn it on/off instead of having to take the shot every time with a stills camera). You COULD use it for jumping even at first though, just don't jump a videocamera at first too, stick with one or the other.

A nice DSLR and a good jumping lens cost way more than a video setup so make sure you don't damage your camera in the process (bump it against the plane, land on it etc) ;)

It's not a small camera but any (D)SLR is a bigger snag hazard than most video cameras, so make sure you mount it safely. You'll need a good camera helmet with a release system. Buy a good quick release for the camera. Buy a Nikon remote for the D90 and wire it yourself to a switch of your choice (or have someone like Laszlo make you a switch), as switches for a D90 are not sold ready to go for skydiving.
What lens did you get with it? If you got the 18-55 kitlens you could use that at first for jumping, if not best buy the sigma 15mm f/2.8 for a good (and affordable) jumping lens.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

No... Nikon cameras don't work in skydiving... only Canon dSLR and Sony video cameras... j/k... ;):D:P

I couldn't resist.... as Saskia mentioned... the d90 will work fine however most people start with a video camera then after a number of jumps with that will add a still camera.

Scott

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...