Acoisa

Geek Question: Ipad and Gopro Format Problems

So I wanna debrief students with GoPro Footage using my new iPad ;)

I don't have the camera connection kit yet but I tried importing videos into the iPad with IPhoto.. that worked with normal .mp4 files but not with the .mp4 from the Gopro.

The iPad supports 720p with 30fps. I used that setting in the goPro (r2). But Itunes won't let me import the file. The Error Message was: The Video was not copied to the iPad because it cannot be played on the iPad.

Here are the specs of the two videos I tried to upload to the Ipad.
The first one worked the second one (GoPro) didn't.

Random .mp4 skydiving video:

Dimensions: 320x240
Codecs: MPEG-4 Video, AAC, MPEG-4 SDSM, MPEG-4 ODSM, Hint
Audio Channels: 2
Total Bit Rate: 750

GoPro Video:

Dimensions: 1280×720 (note: 30fps)
Codecs: H.264, AAC
Audio Channels: 2
Total Bit Rate: 8.342

Does anyone know what the issue is?

Anyone?, Anyone? DSE? ;)

Yep. Return the iPad. Get a computer that loads conversion software. Convert GoPro to an MP4 from an apple codec source ie; QT.

Just kidding.
I have no desire to own an iPad, and since it's not really a video tool (yet) I don't have any knowledge of what apps can be run for conversion. Might see if Revolver will work.

interesting that the problem would be with resolution and not codec. Nice to know, gives me something to point at. I have an iPad all week, courtesy of Apple and NAB. So far, suitably unimpressed, but can see some obtuse uses for certain video applications.
As far as a reader, etc, I still like my Kindle better, and I don't like it very much.:P

Whats the use in editing with an ipad, if web is the only way of getting stuff on and off..

Wireless is the wave of the future, my boy. It may seem odd now but I bet 20 years from now you would laugh at yourself for posting that opinion.

... getting closer and closer to Star Trek reality.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

... getting closer and closer to Star Trek reality.

Pffffft. Wake me when the green hot chicks show up.

me too.
here at the NAB show there are a lot of guys running around with their iPads. I've got one too, for the week. All of em' are having challenges of one sort or another. Mine is there as a discussion piece.
Without i/o that is CURRENTLY relevant, it's just another cult piece, IMO. Certainly unusable for much of what it potentially could be used for.
But...all the kewl koolaid kids have em'. Watched one crash keynote in front of 500 people yesterday. They ended up loading the same PPT on a netbook to get the class finished.

It may seem odd now but I bet 20 years from now you would laugh at yourself for posting that opinion.

All great fun when we're 20 year ahead, but in the mean-time Il stick to hardware half the price, with a ton of additional functionality able to interface with current technology to actually play and edit current file-standards due to hardware specs being up to speed for what AVCHD and other video formats demand...:P

I have no issues looking antique and ancient to all the hip people smirking at being lightyears ahead, with a device thats outperformed in anything beyond surfing and checking email by the cheapest of laptops:D

And for the portable email and surfing stuff, the same device I have with a smaller screen does just fine..;)

There is nothing wrong with the Ipad...besides all users/fanboys being all 'Jehova's witness' about it, and trying to market it for the one thing its not intented for..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have no issues looking antique and ancient to all the hip people smirking at being lightyears ahead, with a device thats outperformed in anything beyond surfing and checking email by the cheapest of laptops:D

I don't disagree with that. I prefer to let two to three years go by before I buy the latest and greatest thing, just so the pioneers can find all the bugs in the equipment before me.

My current cell phone is just a cell phone; no camera, no browsing, no texting (as far as I know). Oh, it does have the ability to store phone numbers.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

"Only web" includes an awful lot of stuff.

yea..just not the stuff you get straight from your camera:P
And with the amazing amounts of storage space, you can edit about 3 minutes worth of footage (in low reslution):P;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I’m closet tech/gadget geek and own two different sized iPods and an iPhone, however I wonder if I am the only person who DOESN’T want an iPad.

It looks nice, but doesn’t solve/suit any need I have?? It’s a half-assed computer that works like my iPhone but doesn’t fit in my pocket.

Quoting Chris Rock “Just because something is possible doesn’t mean it should be done – you can drive your car with your feet; doesn’t make it a good idea.”
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

It looks nice, but doesn’t solve/suit any need I have?? It’s a half-assed computer that works like my iPhone but doesn’t fit in my pocket.

one of my coworkers was playing with an iPad the other day... and showing me how on one of the "book" programs it looked just like he was turning the page of a book when you swiped your finger across the page... and I just kept thinking that I had things at home that were very similar... in the form of actual books... :P:D I resisted telling him this... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...