bomb420

CX150, ContourHD 1080p, GoPROHD Comparison Footage

I think I'm going to do this again on a different style of jump but it shows the quality differences of the three cameras.

The GoPro HD was shot in R5 mode without the case. I'm thinking the box may help the picture by blocking out side light. Next test jump I'll mount this.

The ContourHD was shot in HD mode. The CX150 in HQ mode with a Century .55x lens and Steadyshot set to active with wide conversion lens option set.

Rendered with Sony Vegas in 1920x1080 with no resampling and production assistant Large UGC widescreen template set to 14Mbps.

CX150/CX155 vs contourHD 1080p and GoPro HD POV cameras
HYPOXIC

Thank you so much for that!

I have a question, what settings did you have on the CHD?
It looks like you have sharpness very high, is that the case?
Could you perhaps upload the rtc-file and let me have a look at the settings (unless you changed them since the recording).

Thanks again for the awsome video.

I'm quite surprised that the colors of the Go Pro HD look so dull without the casing.

in all the other Go Pro HD comparison videos (with the Contour HD), the Go pro seems to win hands down in 90% cases.

Your video's really got me thinking. [:/]

I'm going to redo this video as soon as I possibly can. Looking on the casing I notice the black ring probably keeps out side light. The colors seem really washed out on the GoPro and doesn't seem 100%. I unfortunately did not see this until I came home to edit the footage.

Have you been comparing to the contourHD 1080p or just the contourHD version?
HYPOXIC

I've been comparing all types of low profile cameras including Contour HD and Contour HD 1080 with the go Pro HD.

In most videos I've seen, the Contour seems to overexpose and burn less than the go pro, but the contrast doesn't seem right on a sunny day.

I think i'll go with the go pro given all the accessories that come with it. It's not like I'll be filming pro-quality movies anyway.

A remote control for the Go pro would definitely stomp the competition.

My first post here!

I have the Contour but have yet to try it on a jump yet. I'm a bit concerned that the attachment for the camera isn't strong enough.

Did you use the glue pad or the goggle mount for the Contour?

I use the glue pad in a top-mount configuration. All of my other cameras have been side mount, so the first time I stood up in the plane I knocked the thing out of the industrial velcro. Good thing I had it tethered, as I was able to snap it back on before getting to the door.

The nice thing about the Contour is that the camera itself slides off the mount, so I superglued the top and bottom velcro pieces together to make the helmet mount permanent, then I just slide the camera on and off. It's been rock solid ever since, though I still use the tether just in case.

I never have used a GoPro personally, but I'm currently using the 720p@60fps setting and am VERY pleased with the video quality.

Im surprised at the quality of the contour hd. I saw some footage on a uk motorcycle website and it looked like vibration was a major factor in picture quality so wasn't sure this would be any good as a helmet camera but you have certainly changed my mind.
CheersB|

I've been using a flat surface mount on top of my helmet after side mounting originally. My risers kept knocking the camera off on opening. On top of the helmet it's so lite that you don't even feel it.

I was using the Full HD recording settings and on a couple of sitfly dives I got some wobble in the video with a couple of distortion lines horizontally. After looking up the 'wobble' on the vHoldr FAQ's it was noted that a shaky mount will cause this distortion. That's when I switched it to the top of my helmet. I am also going to use the setting that are at the top of this thread and switch to 720p/60fps.

I HAVE FOUND THE PERFECT HELMET MOUNT FOR COUNTOURHD:
[/url]http://www.xvusa.com/index.html[url]

This is by far the best CountourHD Mounting solution i have found as well as a nice adapter to attach whatever camera lens you wish!

Check it out. Blue Skies!!!

My first post here!

I have the Contour but have yet to try it on a jump yet. I'm a bit concerned that the attachment for the camera isn't strong enough.

Did you use the glue pad or the goggle mount for the Contour?

/Johan

Use the flat mount and mount it on top of your helmet. Tether the camera to the mount.

Other solution is to buy the Xtreme Vu mount and never sweat losing your Countour: http://www.xvusa.com/index.html

Really ? The Xtreme Vu mount looks really good other than the fact it relies on 3M Dual lock ?? Is that stuff really good enough ? Surely one funelled exit and its gunna get knocked off your helmet ?

Why would it fall off?
Maybe you should run down to the store and buy some just to test its adhesive strenght?

Well i have finally got my contour 1080, cant wait to try it out. also just got off the phone to Steve at 2k composites and he has talked me into buying one of his new boxes to suit the contour, going to collect it next week. will post dsome piccies soon i hope ;)

Anyone tried to mount a wideangle lens on a Contour?
With the lenskit you can attach a wideangle lens, but has anyone tried it?
Did some math, and i think a .5 would work good on a contour.
Would love to buy a lens but im not sure if it will work since the camera is already wideangled you might end up filming the "inside" of the lens.

I have a lens kit, just haven't tried it since all mine are out on loan. my guess is it's not going to be able to focus through it. It's only meant for filters... plus u got a wide angle going through another wide angle lens. But u never know.

On another note if u switch to low res it is significantly wider.
HYPOXIC

Why would it not be able to focus?
[idiot typing]
Whats the difference between the focus on a contour and any other camera?
[/idiot typing]

Is it your lens kits that is out on loans or your wideangle lenses?
If you have a .5 could you perhaps try and just hold it infront of the camera move around, remove the lens. Just to see the difference?
Please:)

I know the 720 mode will be wider, but i want 1080 :)

Here are some photos of the first-generation of the contour box by 2KC. Looks great to me...and they are working on refining it a bit. We're looking to get a full stock of these in as soon as possible. Seems to be another great mounting option for this camera.

Mike
ChutingStar.com

I made some special aluminum mounts for the contour.

Here are Trunk's mounts:
http://www.chutingstargear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=57_59&products_id=898.

Mike

would top mounting that not be so much safer?

Yes, the Sturdy Mount could also be top-mounted, which would put the camera on its side.

Mike

Mike
ChutingStar.com