chuckakers

More Vegas render lock-ups HELP!

Hey guys,

This is killing me. I'm running Sony Vegas Studio Platinum 9 and the dang thing keeps locking up and sometimes even shutting down when I render.

I'm running an i7 processor with 6GB of RAM and 250G hard drive.

The IT at the DZ dumped 4+GB of crap in the temp folder put there by Vegas and everything worked fine. However since then the problem has returned and continues after doing the same thing.

Oddly enough, it does it sometimes and not others. I also notice it doesn't lock up when working with the receovered file after an initail crash.

I have heard something about being able to adjust the amount of memory the program uses. When I look at the task manager, it look like it's using about 2GB when rendering. Is there a way to up that and would that help. I have 6GB and am not running anything else when doing video.

Also:

anti-virus is off
internet is disconnected

Any ideas to help me out??
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Are you running a 64bit OS? If not you'll never be able to access more then 3.5 gigs of the memory.

Speaking a little Greek for me, but under "system type" it says it's an x64-based PC. Would that be the number I'm looking for?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

which operating system?
In the Preferences (ALT+ENTER) you can go to the Video tab and set dynamic ram to 0. This is the best setting if you're NOT dealing with stills on the timeline.

However, antivirus, other processes calling on the drive or CPU could cause this. Heat can cause this.
The temp "crap" is only put there because you're directing it there. If they're SFK files, then they aren't causing any harm one way or another.

which operating system?
In the Preferences (ALT+ENTER) you can go to the Video tab and set dynamic ram to 0. This is the best setting if you're NOT dealing with stills on the timeline.

However, antivirus, other processes calling on the drive or CPU could cause this. Heat can cause this.
The temp "crap" is only put there because you're directing it there. If they're SFK files, then they aren't causing any harm one way or another.

Windows 7. Anti-virus is off. It continues doing it even after a re-install of Vegas. I'll try what you said about the ram.

Update!! Changing the ram doubled the render time, so I cancelled it.

Mo Better Update: I think I have found the common denominator. Every time I try to render a new project, Vegas either locks up or shuts down. After I re-open the project it renders without problems in a normal time (about 7 minutes for a 6 minute video, saving as mpg2)

Hopefully someone can shed some light.B|
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Changing the RAM shouldn't double the rendertime. It might APPEAR that it's changing the render time, but I'll guess you have a title or other major change in the start of the video.

I may be getting closer, but still a bit confused on some stuff.

I've done some side-by-side comparison of render times to check out the long render time I told you about. Using the same project and making NO changes to it, here's what I got.

With the DYNAMIC RAM PREVIEW MAX set at the default of 128MB, the render ("make movie" option, saved to my external hard drive) of a 6 minute 30 second video took just under 6 minutes. When I change the RAM to 0MB, the same project takes almost 10 minutes to render. I'm doing everything the same - no changes to the project, no changes to the save location, and no other changes that I'm making.

Just for kicks, I changed the RAM setting to 512MB and did a "make movie" again. This time there was no change from the 6 minute time I had when using the default 128MB.

FYI, I also unistalled and re-installed all the Vegas components just before trying this test and it hasn't crashed since. Of cousre I also changed all the save settings (including the save location for temp files) to an external USB hard drive, so that could have something to do with it.

So at this point my crashing and lock-up problem might be solved (I sure hope so - this crap is getting old).

Any other suggestions on getting faster render times? I have been told my final renders will be faster if I pre-render files that will be re-used in videos such as titles, graphics, and music. Couple questions on this:

a. Is doing this helping?
b. What file types should I be rendering video and audio files as?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Any other suggestions on getting faster render times? I have been told my final renders will be faster if I pre-render files that will be re-used in videos such as titles, graphics, and music. Couple questions on this:

You'll shave mere seconds by doing this.

However, 6 minutes for a 6 minute video tells me a few things...
Either;
you're rendering a LOT of effects/filters
or
you're rendering to incorrect file types
or
you've got opacity or other master setting on a track set incorrectly
or
you're using some weird intermediary
or
You've got some serious weirdness happening in the background.

That machine should be spitting out a 6 min vid in 2 mins or less.
Assuming you're starting with MPEG from the CX100?
Rendering to MPEG2 widescreen with AC3 audio.

You'll shave mere seconds by doing this.

However, 6 minutes for a 6 minute video tells me a few things...
Either;
you're rendering a LOT of effects/filters
or
you're rendering to incorrect file types
or
you've got opacity or other master setting on a track set incorrectly
or
you're using some weird intermediary
or
You've got some serious weirdness happening in the background.

That machine should be spitting out a 6 min vid in 2 mins or less.
Assuming you're starting with MPEG from the CX100?
Rendering to MPEG2 widescreen with AC3 audio.

Wow. I'll PM ya.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX