Skydivesg

Canon G11

Now that the G-11 has been out for a while has anyone been using it? Or know anyone.

And if so, can you report what you have found out about it?

I'm especially interested in someone who jumped the G10 and is now using the G11.

How do the pictures compare and how is the shot to shot speed?

Posting some pics woud be great. I'll be using it for tandems.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I would like to hear more from anyone using the G11. My friend (non jumping) has the G9 which is fantastic, although it has no remote shutter port so its no good for jumping.

I know the G10 and G11 both have the remote shutter, so I am wondering how they stack up against a Canon Rebel for stills - would love to see some more examples, esp. in freefall.

I know the G11 shoots great HD video as well, so could this be a great all rounder?

dpreview.com says that rebels can do about 3 fps in bursts, while G11 can only do 1.1 fps. While one picture every second is not slow, it's still 3 times slower than cheap SLRs. Also the autofocus is aparently much slower on G series compared to SLRs.

On the other hand G11 is smaller, lighter and takes pictures just fine. I guess it all comes down to what _you_ need.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

How many shots can you take of of tandem?? My G-10 took as many as I needed?? More than we're getting with a 24 exposure roll of film (film being the limiting factor). Good camera for the job!! But, I also have the option of switching cameras and I can easily mount my Nikons.

So, the question would be... Is the G-11 a good camera fot the task at hand?

I love my little G-10.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

As per recommendations from other threads, TV setting is what I used for tandems (I’ve only used it a couple of times because we’re set up for 35mm) I could easily get 20 door/freefall shots. Kerry was playing around with the manual focus and found he could get even more. Check out the other G-10 threads, they discussed this.

I've attached a couple of photos. Keep in mind I have to resize these to upload to DZ.com. PM me if you want to see the full size files. The quality is really quite good (camera quality not to be confused with the photographer’s skill ;)). :)

Shameless bump...
I've been using the G-10 for a few years with good results, but, the frame rate is slow. I just looked at the G-16 at National; 9 frames per second in continuous mode. They went back to the solid mounted screen eliminating the swinging door screen making it even smaller!

Has anyone looked at this camera or is anyone using one? It looks like they've solved the frame rate issue? It still has a remote port for a tongue switch... $499. US :)
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_g16