skyjumpenfool

New helmet build

Well, the old TRV is getting replaced with a new CX-100. I can't wait to get the size/weight off my head. Last year I swapped the heavy Nikon for a Cannon G-10 and loved it. So, a helmet makeover is not in process...

I'll try to post pics of the process. The goal is a helmet that is clean, snag free, easy to use and durable. Oh, and did I mention that basically I'm a cheap bastard??;)

Old Mindwarp............... I got it, may as well use it.
Cannon G-10............... Small, works great, easy to use.
CX-100....................... It is what it is. I love the size and weight. Found a good deal ($339) on e-bay
Hype Eye.................... still gotta get one.
Wide angle lense........ the one from my TRV will fit.
Mounts...................... this is where the fun stars. see attached pics.

I'm making molds for all these parts so this helmet can be duplicated. Let me know what you think or if you have suggestions.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Carbon Fiber!

And No!! The joint compound makes a great shaping puddy. Cheap, easy to use, dries in minutes with a heat gun, sands quickley with a variety of tools. The black stuff is Duratech, a sandable acrylic resign which makes for a really nice smooth plug surface. This process is being used to make molds for the mount and video camera cover. Hopefully, I can pull multiple parts for this setup.

See the pics of today's progress...

Polished the plug, waxed it and applied mold release, sandable grey gel coat applied, hand laid with fiberglass matt and polyester resign. Then, I pulled mold from the plug and cleaned it and the helmet. The last pic is of the mold with the first carbon fiber part laid up. Tomorrow I'll pull the part and see what I have.

:)

Good job Mate,

It's very rewarding building your own gear.

To help with the resin rich area's like on the sharp corners have a chat with your supplier and get some vacum bags, tacky tape and peel ply. Do your wet lay up then straight into the bag and suck it down. Massage the corners to ensure there is no bridging of the bag or peel ply and you will have one slick part.

How do you plan to attached the top mount to the helmet?

C

We've played with vacuum bagging. It's messy and a lot of work. I've just finished the plug for the video camera cover which will enclose the CX-100 and hinge open to allow easy access to hype eye, power, and preview/upload. These pics show the camera mount with the cameras temporarily fitted up.

It’s the same G-10 mount. It's been trimmed down to fit the new setup. Let me know if you need one. I'll start cutting.

The Still lens Steveorino is referring to is a filter adapter. I like it because it protects the camera lens. What you see in those previous pics are the cameras placed on top of the unfinished helmet for fitting and testing. As shown, it does show up in the video. The final mounting was done today and the video camera placement is actually forward a bit. It does not show up at full wide angle.

You can't see in those photos, but the two cameras are slightly offset to allow for the filter adapter. I've tested the cameras pretty well to make sure I'm not getting alot of parallex.

Tomorrow I’ll take and post pics of the finished setup.

im starting a build for a hc-52 top mount box. i have a general idea of what i want to do but am confused on how to wrap my plug without getting any creases in the cloth. do you wrap all six corners at once leaving all seams on the bottom? do you have to make relief cuts in the cloth? thanks for any info and please feel free to pm me.
the diamond can not be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials.

Cloth will mold to complex curves. Use a chip brush to "dab" at the material to wet it and lay it down (don't paint). It will move around and form to any shape as long as it's not too crazy. Also, use an aluminum laminating roller to help roll out the resign. Just be careful not to "frey" material from the edges.

I have students making a Supermileage car out of these materials. It's not that hard to learn and is easy to do. Practice on a piece of scrap so you don't ruin your plug. Call me if you need help.

Express Composites in Minneapolis sells everything you'll need. Ask for Jim, he's very knowlegable and always willing to help.

http://www.expresscomposites.com/

I’m almost done. I just have to attach the Finley sight, insert the liner, some electronics, then clean & test. Here are some photos.

Great job have you had chance to jump it yet? Was looking at the angle of the cameras and wondered if they dont need to be a little lower at the front?
Superb job thoughB|

I haven't jumped it yet. However, the camera angles are the same as the TRV that was previously on the helmet. That was working fine.

The Lense for the G-10 does not show up when video is in full wide angle. Plus, that's a filter cover which could come off if needed. I've just finished the mounting plate for my Nikon. I had to lower it a bit to accomodate that problem. Final pictures will be posted tomorrow. Till then.......

Finished! It all bench tested great! Now, I'm looking for a ride to 13K.

Weight and balace are good. Way lighter than the Nikon and TRV. My neck feels better already. I can't waight to swap these cameras out for something even smaller.....B|

How's that ringsight attach? Looks pretty solid. Might want to rethink that if it has no breakaway feature.

Dave

Nice observation! What I did was, cut the head off a nylon threaded bolt. I use it as a stud with the brass thum screw to attach the ringsight. I have the safety of the nylon stud, and the ease of adjustment. It seems to work pretty well.

Proz just dropped off his new G-11 and it seems to be identical. I'll put together a mount for you. How wide is the mount plate on yours? Send pics and dimensions. Call me when you get a chance.

For those who are wondering, I've made a mounting plate for the G-10/11 that uses the strap mount to stabilize the camera so you can get at the battery and card without removing the camera. Solid, secure and easy access....