DSE

Contest Ideas...

With winter starting to wane a bit....I'd like to hold another contest similar to the one we did of funny tandems, won by Karen Lewis.

Suggestions:
=Funniest Four Way shot
=Sexiest tandem student
=Best frame/composition including background or foreground
=Best "unusual" jump
=Best artistic/abstract jump

One rule is that it must be an "off the ground" shot, captured while you were in the air and the subject was in the air. The other rule is that you may not submit more than 2, so make em you're best two selections. I'll put them up anonymously and the crowd will roar in their anticipation of awesomeliciousness.

Which of these seems most palatable or interesting to y'all.
There will be a real prize at the end of this contest.
Gimme answers and/or more ideas quickly....
Let's have some fun with this!
Party on Wayne!

How about most interesting perspective? I love when I see skydiving pics taken from unique positions with creative lens choices, use of flash, etc.

Lots of possibilities with belly and foot mounts, aircraft strut mounting for exits, backwards helmet mounting, etc.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

How about if you host each of the categories as a separate contest? You could accept entries for two months for each contest.

Take entries during Feb/Mar for 'Funniest Four Way'.
Then 'Sexiesst Tandem Student' through Apr/May.
Then 'Composition' during June/Jul.
'Unusual' Aug/Sep.
And 'Artistic' during Oct/Nov.
That way we could have an ongoing comp throughout the whole year and get to see a lot of pics in various categories.
Then in December, you could take all of the winners from each category and vote for the Best of Show or Best of the Year overall winner.

And then start all over again in February with five new categories for the next 10 months.

How about if you host each of the categories as a separate contest? You could accept entries for two months for each contest.

Take entries during Feb/Mar for 'Funniest Four Way'.
Then 'Sexiesst Tandem Student' through Apr/May.
Then 'Composition' during June/Jul.
'Unusual' Aug/Sep.
And 'Artistic' during Oct/Nov.
That way we could have an ongoing comp throughout the whole year and get to see a lot of pics in various categories.
Then in December, you could take all of the winners from each category and vote for the Best of Show or Best of the Year overall winner.

And then start all over again in February with five new categories for the next 10 months.

I think that's a great idea. Of course I am not the one who has to keep a contest going for a year either. :)

Blue Skies,
Jason

it's a great idea, no doubt. But I don't have an un-ending supply of money for prizes, nor do I want it to be a burden. The last one was very fun, and it worked out well.

I've gotten a couple of PM's, and think I've got an idea, and we'll have an awesome prize for this first one.

How about the favorite JTVAL Photo?

Maybe that'll gimme a chance at winning something.
:D

Well, Since My hard drive crashed last year I have VERY few photos to look through. SO, I may not even win THAT catagory.

Whichever you do I'll find something to post.

My photos

My Videos

'nother idea; might be good un' for the newer camera flyers...

Shot of tandem with drogue in frame, but cannot be shot on your back or sit....:) Gotta be a belly shot. How steep can ya get?

Or, best overall composition of student, background, and your fingers in the foreground.

Or...Best on-ground posed shot of any DZ staff.

Or, best candid shot of staff and/or skydivers in the area. Composition, lighting count.

I'm getting a few fun PM's too.
This next contest has to be really good, needs to show talent, cuz the prizes are SUPER cool. We have a very generous donor.

Shot of tandem with drogue in frame, but cannot be shot on your back or sit....:) Gotta be a belly shot. How steep can ya get?

then you got pics of tandems "from the top" in the kill zone[:/]
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

then you got pics of tandems "from the top" in the kill zone[:/]

no you don't fishy, think keeping student, instructor, and drogue all in frame by looking up. that is steep.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

and you'll get pictures from right under, in the trapdoor killzone [:/]

Need a wider lens?

Pilot dave,
I'd like to suggest Best picture stolen from a skyride website.

LOL.. I.E. you dont even have to be a camera guy since they stole it already anyone can find their fav and claim it as their own.:S
My photos

My Videos

Actually, you won't. Lazslo taught me a technique a few years ago when I asked him how he was getting the shot on his belly. He has a photo of him in "the position" that is pretty amazing.
You're never under the tandem. But you're cranked back hard, and almost knee flying.

What about during opening , i like to transition from belly to sit thru the trap door effect on the vector. I pickup speed with the tandem thru it.
Would that count as knee flying or not?? lol

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I think the point is that newer camera fliers may not have a good technique for safely getting this shot, and might be tempted to put themselves in a dangerous position thinking it will get them the winning picture. (besides, what are newer camera fliers doing shooting tandems anyway?)

.....(besides, what are newer camera fliers doing shooting tandems anyway?)

answer... They are trying to become more experienced camera fliers.

Define Newer?? At some point, we're all new to this shit! I'm not talking about someone doing his 200th jump with his brand new camera filming a tandem.[:/] But, someone who's been flying camera for a couple of years and is just starting to film tandems. Everybody's gotta start somewhere.

Anyway, How about this for a contest: Best shot of a camera flier (for training purposes). They could then be used to discuss/critique us "newer" camera fliers. Not just pictures you've taken, but pictures of YOU taking pictures?? Or better yet, pictures of you training a younger camera flier. Now we’re getting somewhere! :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I like the idea of limiting us to two entries, and making the voting anonymous. I just hope you don't start whatever contest you decide on until our season starts.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.