swoopfly

opteka lense

hey

i was just wanting to put some feedback in and see if anyone feels the same. I originally bought an opteka .3 wide angle lens for my cx100.....and well it is very wide to say the least. i can hold the camera 6 inches from my face and still see all the way around my head on all sides. The lens cant zoom in far before it goes to a straight blur. so basically your stuck with this wide angle that you can be 6 inches up on someone and still see 5 feet around them on both sides. I don't really see the great use in this as a skydiving lens. i returned it for the raynox .3 lens and well it is much more of what i was expecting a good lens to do. It can zoom in and out and has a reasonable wide angle that you would want.

So is this just my opinion but has anyone else tried the opteka .3 and came to the same conclusion? that it sucks? way to wide with almost no zoom. I heared some people talk about how they love it but yet to see some good footage with one!

I bought the 0.3x and a 0.43x from opteka. I'll be using the 0.3x for AFF and the 0.43x for tandems. I love the fact that the 0.3x is so wide. It's going to be really good for AFF debriefs.

To say that it sucks is a bit of a strong conclusion. The lens is what it is. Buy a lens for the job you what it to do.

your right, it is a little strong to say it sucks. I just mean this lens has put a new point to wide angle. Other camera flyers have agreed that it is almost too wide. I was just wondering if people that have used this have decided the same thing. And also the lens itself is huge compared to all the others.

anyone have any videos of the opteka in action?

I've posted videos of the Opteka in action. It's the perfect tool for what it is supposed to do. It's the same as a Baby Death in every way. The Baby Death is very popular too.
As has been said dozens of times here...for most tandem work/outside video, a .5 is generally preferable. For inside video, a .3 is generally preferable.
A general exception might be for the tandem videographer shooting from a narrow door aircraft where a .5 might not be wide enough to capture the student and instructor.

I have one of these lenses. I mostly use it for AFF. It's basically amazing cause I can see the entire student in frame while still holding on to them. The only place I could see this being used in tandem video is for handcam.

It also has niche uses for when you are looking for very specific shots, but most of the time that isn't what people are looking for. I think you can get some cool shots of people swooping with it too.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Looks like someone likes the Video Copilot Sure Target tutorial.

I love Andrew Kramer, he is my god.

On a serious note, i try and go through his tut's and then add a small twist in some way. That way it feels like im not stealing ALL of his genius and creative brilliance. :P

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I have the 0.3, 0.43 and 0.5
I use the 0.5 for 4-way, 8-way and other FS groups,
The 0.43 for Tandem and AFF Outside camera,
and the 0.3 for Freefly HU and HD, and also for fast tandems that i'm not worried that i'm ever going to be too far away with
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Sponored by NZ Aerosports, CYPRES 2, Tonfly & L&B

Team Dirty Sanchez #232