TomOwen

Do you use a Rebel/xxxD or a xxD?

Hi there,

Just wondering who uses an xxD series camera (30D, 40D, 50D) for skydiving, and how they find the added weight.

I currently use a 350D and Tokina 10-17mm to jump with (mounted on a TonFly Fuego Pro - stills on top and CX105 on the side). I don't jump tandem camera etc and probably only jump stills every 20th jump, but I'd like to start jumping camera more this year and in the future. I've really got into my non-skydiving photography, and would like to upgrade from my 350D.

Would anyone who has undergone a similar upgrade say the extra 200g/190g is a large jump - top mounted on a small helmet like a Fuego Pro I would imagine that that can be quite some leverage - though only the same as adding some decent glass which I never noticed.

All in all, I guess it adds up over the course of a skydiving career.

I don't take great (or even good) photos in the sky, and a new camera will not help that, but I'd like a newer model for my non-skydiving photography.

Looking forward to your input.

I used to jump a 20D (similar weight) with a Tokina 17mm (prime), and have since switched to an XTi with a Canon 15mm for most jumps. The weight is definitely noticeable, but more important is where you are wearing it on your head. I have become a big proponent (evangelist?) for getting everything mounted up top rather than front- or side-mounted. I would rather have a 20/30/40D mounted up top rather than an XT mounted in front. But regardless, every ounce counts. If you are not using any features on the 20-40 series that helps with the shots you are taking, why add the weight?

Just my too sense...

Absolutely, makes sense.

I have no need for an upgrading camera for my skydiving needs, but would like a newer model for other photography work and can't warrant two cameras.

Ideally I'd have a 500D to jump with and a 1D for on the ground, but I know that's not going to happen! I'd just like something that's suitable for both, but is an upgrade from my 350. Maybe a 450 would be my best bet.

I am under no illusion that any upgrade will give me great photos, either in the sky or on the ground, but I would enjoy the larger screen and upgraded specs/interface.

Edited to add a picture of my setup (please excuse the 90 degree rotation):
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2141/img6245.jpg

Hi Tom,
I really notice the extra weight of my 5D over my 350D (810 gm Vs 540 gm) and rarely jump the 5D.
Completely agree with Phil about putting everything on top though.
If my 350D breaks tomorrow (68000 shots at the moment!) I'll buy a 450D for skydiving.
I try and think about the final ouput of my pics and the truth is I have never needed more than 8mp so far. Of course some of the other features such as the better screen, better af etc possibly make the newer cameras a worthwhile upgrade (mainly for ground shooting though)

Have fun with whatever you decide!

gary
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk

Thanks Gary.

I appreciate that I will not, as far as matters to me right now, get any better skydiving pics from a 40d over a 350d; my wanting to upgrade is purely down to ground use only. It is frustrating trying to balance the two environments!

I think the wise choice would be to either upgrade to a 450d, or keep my 350d until I have sufficient funds and skills to warrant having two cameras - one for the sky and one for the ground. Right now that is well beyond my budget.

Any other comments would be appreciated!

For 599 you can get the XS with 2 lenses. Its rare to have people change camera platforms since there is usually a large investment on glass that its just not worth the hassle to sell and rebuy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'll chip in my 2 cents and experience:

I started last year with a 350D and it performed well. And like you, I also wanted to upgrade due to ground photo. So I sold my 350 this summer and got a 40D. I managed to do 10 jumps in a day with the 40D and a PC350, but after jumping my neck was exhausted. I had an accident last July, where I broke my neck and I'm therefore even more concerned about adding weight on my head. Even though the doc's and physio's says I'm fine.

But before my accident I was thinking of getting a entry level DSLR to use for TV. Honestly..the customers can't tell if you're using a 350D or a 7D. But If you tell them, then they will demand the best without paying for it, and they will moan for getting the cheap camera.

But if a customer is a photographer and I've got time, I'll ask if he wants the pictures in RAW or JPEG so he may play with them. I might even use my 7D or a 5D MkII, but only if there's time.

I'll change my setup for this summer to a CX105(or CX350/CX550) and a 400D/450D. But if there's a jump where I'll only jump to get a great shot, I'll set up my 7D or 5D MkII. But that's only for that specific jump, and not my ordinary TV jumping. There I'll use light weight 400/450D and a CX105 or equivalent

My recommendation for you:

If you're getting into tandem video staff, keep the 350 until it breaks, then get a 400/450D and buy a different body for ground photo. If not, get a 40D or 50D. If it's only for 2-3 jumps a day, I wouldn't worry about it.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

I shoot a rebel xti for free fall 15 mm sigma . Ground and studio stuff i shoot a mark 2 5d. I wouldn't mount the 5d on my helmet unless i had some big formation to shoot or something , which hasn't happened since i bought it last year. I can't really justify the xtra weight on my head anyways though. My helmet is all top mounted with an over sized top plate on a ftp.

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................