brycey1

looking for stills/vid/helmet setup advice

ive been using the setup in the pic, can anyone recommend a more lightweight/comfortable helmet than the flat top pro, primary use, Tandem/ 4 way filming, also good lightweight digital slr, thanks...
Brycey.....
im using an XTI as the stills camera

First question: Why the switch? Old helmet? Neck problems? Just wanting to upgrade?

Second question: Do you want side-by-side like you have right now, or do you mind front mounting your still?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

The flat top pro, has never been comfortable, and yeah, as im getting older the neck is starting to suffer a bit, i see allot of other helmet choices out there now, i guess im looking at something like the FF2, Id prefer the vid on top, stills on the front, or stills on top and vid on the side, just putting it out there, im sure someone has made the switch from the flat top pro to one of the other helmets out there.
Regards
Brycey

I have done exactly what you are asking. I went from up top side by side stills/vid FTP to a 2K Fuzion with a side mount cx105 and 400d top. The helmet is very lightweight and v comfortable. A lot lighter than my FTP for sure.
Journey not destination.....

Id prefer the vid on top, stills on the front, or stills on top and vid on the side,...

FWIW, I went from front mounted stills to both on top, and I have found it much better on my neck. I hope to never go back to front or side mounted cams. Read the forums or do a search, and you will see several similar comments and the reasons why.

I jump a SkySystems Vapor Wes Pro, and I believe it is a little lighter than the FTP, but I could never find a FTP that fit my head so I have never jumped one. One thing you could do would be to eliminate the big gap between the cameras and your helmet so the weight is closer to your neck. Would make is safer as well. Your current setup looks like the cams are at least 1/2-inch higher than they need to be. Plus all those steel bolts and nuts add weight.

I agree with what Phil says in his post. You have alot of extra nuts, bolts and plates up there that add height and weight. Plus the cameras aren't the lightest (nor the heaviest). IMO a side-by-side is better for your neck.

Take a look at the two others that can be set-up side-by-side. Skysystems Vapor Wes Pro and Bonehead Mantle. Both are lighter and you might get a better fit than what you have there.

Then there's the topic of which Quick Release set-up to convert to. :^)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Thanks for the replies, ill check out the helmets you mentioned, The FTP was a great helmet when it came out, but ill be happy to see it go now, video cameras are very compact these days, it would be nice to see a small lightweight good quality stills camera, i have a nikon D40 and a D90, but i would not jump them, to heavy/bulky.
all the best....