quade

I think I may have found something interesting

GREAT find!! With CES around the corner, you've given me a destination to check out.
ADS Technology has something like this, but WD has some features theirs doesn't.

I've got a system set up for debrief that sucks the media off the card and lays it on a timeline immediately, but this is a better concept. The only thing missing is slow mo (according to specs, anyway).

GREAT find!! With CES around the corner, you've given me a destination to check out.
ADS Technology has something like this, but WD has some features theirs doesn't.

I've got a system set up for debrief that sucks the media off the card and lays it on a timeline immediately, but this is a better concept. The only thing missing is slow mo (according to specs, anyway).

We bought one of those to try out for WT, unfortunately it does NOT have slowmo which makes it useless for our purpose. Henny then tried the AC Ryan player which should work a lot better (and unfortunately is a bit more expensive).

There's plenty of media players like this on the market, so far I've tried 4, however finding one that a) plays both the mpg and the avchd files, b) has slo-mo and c) is cheap is proving problematic. 2 out of 3 ;)

What's cool though is that most if not all players that have a usb slot will read from a usb cardreader, at least the usb plug-in type specifically for sony memorystick one we tried. Not sure if that's always the case. So for straight debriefing you may want to add: d) has a usb slot that'll accept a cardreader.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Transfer files easily - Copy, move or delete files stored on a USB drive, a network drive, your camcorder, or a camera to the attached USB drive using the on-screen menus.

Copies between 2 USB drives. Yeah? Now the 4-way, 8-way, or whatever team can all bring their own flash drives to training and walla! You can drag your files onto -their- drive for each team member to take home? No more carting DVD's to the DZ to copy at the end of the day. Do I read this correctly?

If so . . . Sweet!

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I have the earlier version of this, the one without all the networking and whatnot... I can plug my CX100 usb cable right in and play the videos, they look pretty freaking sweet!

But yes, they do not do slow motion on mine either...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yeah, the Ryan player looks a lot better. Its one drawback as a playback tool is that it will not concatenate clips, so you always have a few button pushes to get to the next clip. That's really only a problem for linear editing or someone who is used to a VCR or the sort of DVD recorder we use at Perris.

IMO the AC Ryan 'Play onHD' is the way to go.

The World Team Camera Crew showcased the device at the Jump for the Cause Event last year and received excellent feedback from the coaches / organizers. We then used it exclusively for Kaleidoscope 2009 and it worked flawlessly, including the day that five of us filmed ten 100 ways.

We copied (and sensibly renamed) the raw files from a combination of CX100’s CX105’s and a TG1 on to USB thumb drives that the organizers used in exactly the same way that VHS and DVD were used.

Here are some of the key features:
• Up to 1080p capable. It will play footage that was recorded in HD on a standard TV doing all the down-conversion automatically.
• HDMI, Component and Composite video. Analog, digital co-ax and optical audio
•It has a card reader built in (SD/SDHC/MMC/MS/MS Pro) and two USB slots into which you can plug card readers, hard disks, thumb drives, etc.
• PAL / NTSC conversion automatic
• Remote control with a very similar look and feel to a VCR or DVD remote
• Play, FFW, REV, Stop, Pause, Still advance, etc.
• Slow Motion, Zoom and Pan: You can pan around an image while it is zoomed-in, paused, playing full speed or in slow motion or any other combination of these controls you wish.

It comes with or without an internal hard drive (you can fit a SATA drive yourself) and there is an optional Wireless-N USB dongle available. The 10/100 Ethernet port allows you to browse a network and the unit appears as a NAS drive to other computers on the network if you have a hard disk fitted to it.

I used it at a Perris 16 way meet recently. With minimal training from me, the camera team copied their footage from CX100’s onto the internal hard disk and renamed the copied files to indicate their team, jump number etc. using the remote control. In other words the AC-Ryan took the place of a DVD recorder to provide HD footage as a stand alone device – no computer required. Again, the coaches, judges and participants loved it.

When one of the team inadvertently recorded to the cameras internal memory instead of the removable card, we discovered that you can connect a CX100 directly via one of the USB ports and read / play / copy files directly from the internal memory.

There are many other features and capabilities but this post is already getting too long! Check out their website http://www.playonhd.com/en

World team now owns seven units and we are continuing to refine and automate the workflow for Big Way debriefing. I also think it is also a good device for 4/8/16 way and I will be filming my 4-way team in HD next year. Each team member will have the choice to go home with an AVCHD DVD or a standard DVD.