BirdWoman

MPEG2 vs DV output format

Is there a quality difference in rendering HD footage in MPEG2 vs. DV?

Sometimes mpeg is better, sometimes DV is better...They have different applications.

What are you trying to do?
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

For your average tandem video. I am using Pinnacle to edit, and under burn options I can choose MPEG2, MPEG4, or DV quality. I noticed that the MPEG2 seems to render a little bit faster, so I was just wondering if there is any noticable difference between the two formats in quality...
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

I am using Pinnacle to edit, and under burn options I can choose MPEG2, MPEG4, or DV quality.

Pinnacle makes me laugh. That doesn't really make sense to me since standard def DVD's only use mpeg2.

The fact is that any of these formats can look better then the others depending on the encode settings when converting from HD footage.

They should just tell you the encode settings, or give you the option of good, better or best....

Who knows what they're thinking...my bet is that they consider DV the better of the three.

MPEG is only ever "better" if the source is MPEG.
DV is only ever "better" if the source is MPEG.

If the destination is for Standard Definition DVD, then the target/final format MUST be MPEG video with AC3 or PCM audio.

If the destination is High Definition/Blu-ray, then the render must be either high bitrate MPEG2 or mid bitrate MPEG 4/AVC (not the same as AVCHD).

Without going into a whole lot of silly tech stuff, MPEG is one color space, DV is another. Some folks render a DV project to DV, and then author a DVD which converts the DV into MPEG2 for SD DVD. This tosses away another 25% of the color data if you do this.

Therefore, whenever authoring a DVD, it's *always* best to render to MPEG as soon as possible, from the source footage. The *only* time you'd want to render a project to DV is when you're returning the project as a finished product back to DV tape, or for archival purposes (even then, DV is weak).

Regarding MPEG "quality," a higher bitrate is better up to a point. Few DVD players can play a desktop-burned DVD that has a bitrate higher than 9Mbps. For safety margins, it's rare we burn client DVDs at bitrates higher than 7.5Mbps.

Hopefully this helps a little, tho it likely brings up more questions than it answers...

Some folks render a DV project to DV, and then author a DVD which converts the DV into MPEG2 for SD DVD. This tosses away another 25% of the color data if you do this.

Therefore, whenever authoring a DVD, it's *always* best to render to MPEG as soon as possible, from the source footage. The *only* time you'd want to render a project to DV is when you're returning the project as a finished product back to DV tape, or for archival purposes (even then, DV is weak).

Agree 100%

My confusion is why they are listing the burn quality options as mpeg2, mpeg4, DV?

why is DV even in there if it's about to be burned...

I wasn't under the impression that it was actually going to convert the file to mpeg4 or DV...only giving a reference for quality....

Are these burn quality options or are they export format options?

Are these burn quality options or are they export format options?

These are all output formats, not "quality options."
As to the rest of your question, when AVID acquired Pinnacle, the didn't add the AVID intelligence to the Movie Studio products.
Even though I have to review Pinnacle products from time to time, you'll never catch me with that bloat/crapware on my 'puter. They've never changed their base code, and it's STILL glitchy as hell. Not to mention counter intuitive.