BirdWoman

Double-layer DVD format

Ok, so I'm slow and just upgraded to HD. Even though I am editing with a computer onto DVD, I know that some quality is lost. It is also understood that if you can burn the footage onto a dual-layer disc, then it helps keep the quality. My question is this: if you burn the footage (like lets say your average tandem video) onto a dual-layer disc vs. a regular dvd, how much better is the quality, and would that classify as a "HD DVD"? How would it compare to a Blue-Ray disc?
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

if you burn the footage (like lets say your average tandem video) onto a dual-layer disc vs. a regular dvd, how much better is the quality

The quality of a dual layer dvd is generally not better or worse than a single layer dvd...it just allows you to add more footage at optimal bit rates.

For example, if I had 1 hour of footage, I could render that at 7Mb and fit it onto a single layer, but if I had 2 hours and rendered at 7mb it would not fit ...I would either have to use a dual layer or reduce the bit rate so that it'll fit on a single layer thus limiting the quality.

There is no reason to burn a dual layer dvd for a typical tandem video because they're generally short videos that can be rendered at optimal bit rates and still fit on a single layer.

would that classify as a "HD DVD"?

no

How would it compare to a Blue-Ray disc?

It doesn't
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

Lemme try answering this differently.

A-Dual layer won't help you, and will usually hurt you, due to desktop-dual layer burns and compatibility with some playback machines/software. Avoid it unless you're replicating (sending off to a place to make copies from a master) in which case you'll need to author a DDP Layer 0/Layer 1 on an HDD, DLT, or dual DVD5 with each DDP layer on a separate disc. HUGE PITA, and probably not something you're interested in doing, especially for tandem video.

Here are other alternatives;
A-you can burn HD material in the AVC format, on a DVD5 (the DVDs you're already using) and they'll play on a newer BD/Blu-ray player or a Playstation.
It is effectively the same as a BD/Blu-ray disc. The quality (assuming source is HD) will be stunning/superior by a long way, to a standard DVD.

B-You can burn to an actual BD. There is little advantage to this for tandem vids, and the cost of the blank BD is 8X the cost of a standard DVD.

C-you can burn two separate DVDs.

FWIW, DVD delivery in the skydiving world likely doesn't hold a life of longer than about 2 more years....keep that in the back of your mind.

For tandem vids, NEVER worry about using low bitrates. Burn em' at 8Mbps, you'll be golden. Always. They're just not high motion enough, not lengthy, and there is nothing to be gained by going any other direction. If it's HD content, burn it at 16Mbps, you'll be golden. Plus, it uploads to the web.

I'm hoping that the Skydive Expo people will be having me do a presentation on this in Deland, much like the one I gave at PIA. Hopefully that'll help folks break into the "new world."

FWIW, DVD delivery in the skydiving world likely doesn't hold a life of longer than about 2 more years....keep that in the back of your mind.

So in 3 years, how do you deliver video to a customer who "only" has a DVD player? (and not the "new" standard viewer, whatever that is)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Same way you deliver VHS tape to someone who "only" has a VHS player.

DVD will of course, still be around. But the primary delivery mechanism is moving to online delivery.
And it's MUCH better for the DZ to do so.