millertime24

Using the Golmember mount for vid.

Hello all. So on my deployment in the sandbox I got some new goodies for my skydiving life. One of the things I got was a goldmember camera mount for my hawkeye cam helmet. I'm also going to get a Sony CX-100 when I get back to the states. My question is, can you use the goldmember plate to mount the camera on top of the helmet vs. the side? Do you need any extra straps to keep the camera secure?

I can keep using the side mount if a top mount isnt a good idea and just save the other mounting bracket for when I'm ready to start doing stills, but I would really like to have the vid on top vs. the side due to weight distribution and less snagg areas. Thoughts?
Muff #5048

Top is generally better than side. Do make sure the door can't open when you jump: use either a box/rollcage, camera condom, velcro strap, bungee cord, or just some good quality gaffer tape (never use ducktape on your camera).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

My question is, can you use the goldmember plate to mount the camera on top of the helmet vs. the side?

I jumped my CX100 top mounted using a Gold Member mount all last year, so I can tell you for certain it can be done... but...

1) It's heavy... the Gold Member mount weighs almost as much as the camera! I'm gonna hack the crap out of mine to make them (I bought another for a still camera) weigh less before I move them to my new helmet. I also relocated the screw hole in the GM to center the CX100 on it. Yes, I work in a machine shop. :P

2) The tripod mount screw on the CX100 is not the most robust setup, and at least a couple of folks have broken the mount. I'm going to add an alignment pin to my Gold Member to keep the camera from turning, so I don't have to crank down so hard on the screw. I'm also going to add a strap to my setup, both to secure the camera, and to keep the flip open LCD screen secure.

3) The camera is unprotected. I'm going to add a camera condom of some sort, just to give it some protection. It appears to be a pretty tough little camera though, as I've smacked mine pretty hard a couple of times, and despite bearing the scars of those encounters, it's kept on ticking.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Damn you guys are smart. I never would have thought to add any external protection at all. Looks like you guys may have saved me some headache down the road.

bwilling, Does the CX-100 already have a pin alignment hole in it? As far as weight I'm not too concerned. I likely wont be putting my DSLR on my head for 1 maybe even 2 more seasons. I'm really just looking for something that centeres the weight in line with the spine.

Another question is, mounting a camera on top like this, how close does the slider end up getting to it? I was thinking that MAY be an issue when first priority is checking for traffic and the cam snaggs on it.
Muff #5048

Another question is, mounting a camera on top like this, how close does the slider end up getting to it?

I jump 24" type 8 risers (and don't pull the slider down), and haven't had any issues with clearance between the slider and the camera with that setup.

I did have a snappy opening on a demo canopy where the slider whistled down the lines so hard it went all the way to the toggles (type 17 risers), and that coupled with the short risers the demo was on put it right down there on top of the camera, so it's possible.

But hey, if you side mount it you have to worry about riser slap, so it's just the nature of the beast. Hanging cameras on your head creates potential problems, and while it pays to try to minimize them, there's no way to completely eliminate them.

I highly recommend hooking up with one of the video guys at your DZ for some mentoring. The guys at mine have been a huge help and technical resource for me!

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Here is to you getting home soon!!! (I have 2 tours behind me)

The Goldmember - let's see:

1 - Solid piece of equimpent.
2 - The fit leaves a bit to be desired - mine jiggles a hair or two locked in place.

I will either grab a quick-quad for the CX100 and us the Goldmember for stills OR get two Liquid Flatlocks for both cameras.

Best advice I have recieved so far:

DO NOT SKIMP!!! Better to pay a bit more for the right/proper equipment now than to have to re-do your setup a few days/weeks later because you are not happy with it.

Good luck and come home safe!!!

Rag

I already have the goldmember. Is there any way to get the play/slop out of it? Or should I just return it to PG and put the $$ on a flatlock?

I used model paint on the sides where the bottom plate lips over the top plate and on the slide-lock. It helps alot, but will need re application from time to time.

Sorry BoneHead - you fell short on this one:$

Clear nail polish will work well as well.

Maybe you can find someone around with a machine shop and fart with it to get the play out (I may mess with mine when I go to the Liquid Flat Lock for sheits and giggles)

though - this may not be economical feasable since the quad or flat-lock will be the way you end up going anyway.