eddiek420

GoPro Hero HD vs Sony CX100

Hey everyone. I'm looking to buy a new camera to finally replace my beaten up Sony PC-350. So in looking to get into the digital age I narrowed my search to this two options. The Sony CX100 or GoPro Hero HD. I have read the thread on the GoPro Hero HD but I would like to know how it compares to the Sony CX-100 and what advantages it offers (besides being cheaper). please let me know what you all think. tks!

The gopro is something you could use for coach/aff type jumps, just for debriefing. If you want to make a nice dvd or are in any way selling your video, cx100 is the way to go.

And what is better if you are selling your videos (tandem videos) on DVD, old PC or new GoPro ?

The gopro is something you could use for coach/aff type jumps, just for debriefing. If you want to make a nice dvd or are in any way selling your video, cx100 is the way to go.

And what is better if you are selling your videos (tandem videos) on DVD, old PC or new GoPro ?

Old pc.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I meant GoPro HD of course. Why do you think old PC camera is better?

I just sold my old PC109 and I'm looking for a new camera to buy. I was thinking about CX105 all the time but I read all GoPro HD thread and watched many youtube videos and I'm confused.

GoPro HD is smaller, lighter than CX105, you buy it and it's ready to jump, you don't need to buy any extra lenses, boxes, indicators.

An image is realy nice, however I haven't seen any raw footage from GoPro HD, I don't know how it looks on TV.

The picture quality of the GoProHD is better than what an old PC series camcorder can offer. However;

GoPro is fixed lens width. No zoom capability whatsoever. And the width is kinda ugly for a lot of tandem video aspects.

GoPro is HD, and therefore needs to be downconverted for SD output (like on a DVD). That conversion takes time to render/resample. That time becomes expensive when your goal is speed, such as in a tandem or similar video operation.

Audio is for crap on the GoPro's. It's impossible to get good, let alone GREAT sound on a GoPro or similar.

Battery life is marginally better on the GoPro's, but there is no preview to power up.

Each camera has it's pros and cons. Take the price out of the discussion and weigh what is most important to you, to your workflow, and provides the product that your DZ wants to output. The "correct" answer could fall into either court.

I don't believe so, Saskia. I'm waiting for another GoPro so I can rip it up. Trunk had one he's opened up; I don't know that the voltage passes back from the USB port.

I failed to make that another point in my "why not GoPro for tandems.

while we are talking about the cx 100. I remember when it 1st came out people talking about some image shudder. but I'm thinking it was just when doing head down jumps. am I correct on that? is this something that has been changed. is it still a problem? or do you need to put the camera on a box or camera condom??
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

while we are talking about the cx 100. I remember when it 1st came out people talking about some image shudder. but I'm thinking it was just when doing head down jumps. am I correct on that? is this something that has been changed. is it still a problem? or do you need to put the camera on a box or camera condom??

The CX100/105 does NOT have that problem 'cause it uses EIS, the CX6/7/11/12 and other models do have that problem since they use OIS. The problem seems to pop up mostly in head-up type jumps (backflying tandemvideos....) in fact head down didn't seem too bad. A box or condom won't help with that, best is to just not buy a camera which has OIS ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I don't believe so, Saskia. I'm waiting for another GoPro so I can rip it up. Trunk had one he's opened up; I don't know that the voltage passes back from the USB port.

I *thought* it wasn't possible but wasn't 100% sure. For me that's a total deal breaker in any case for paid jumps or team jumps. For coach jumps, wingsuit jumps, that'd be ok I guess, although I still much prefer my cx105 sidemount for that (and I really don't like sidemounting...) because of the hype-eye, the quality and because I already have it all set-up ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I *thought* it wasn't possible but wasn't 100% sure. For me that's a total deal breaker in any case for paid jumps or team jumps. For coach jumps, wingsuit jumps, that'd be ok I guess, although I still much prefer my cx105 sidemount for that (and I really don't like sidemounting...) because of the hype-eye, the quality and because I already have it all set-up ;)

It wouldnt be THAT hard to modify a gopro to use external switch and have a light... but it would require breaking each one open and soldering to it... Depends if you think its worth it...

*It would solve all of those guys on the load saying... is it blinking??*
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>when it 1st came out people talking about some image shudder. but I'm
>thinking it was just when doing head down jumps.

I think you may be confusing two things. One is the sort of shudder you get from some OIS cameras when they are in the air; that's why videographers avoid OIS cameras in general, and the CX7 in particular.

The other thing is a once per second jump you see during playback on some PC's. I've seen this quite often, but Spot has mentioned that that's mainly a codec thing, and can be solved by using the right codec for playback. (That was the Hero, not the Hero HD.)

I got my Gopro HD as soon as it was launched, and I was/am happy with the overall quality, given its weight and cost, however, one thing I really missed was the indicator light.
So.. I got myself an old fashioned photocell battery powered model used for Hi-8 cameras. I was going to make one, but was lucky enough to have good old friend Brent Finley dig one up instead.
A few strips of gaffer tape, and voila! (See attachment)
Brent -- you just might get a bunch of orders. Be sure to save my cut! :)

4D Bill

DSE, I have been looking everywhere for one of the old fiber optic Cameye's we used to tape over the LED button on the old Sony camcorders before we had the plug in versions, I think this would work for the GoPro.

(basically you tape the end of the fiber optic sensor over the LED on the camera)

have you or anyone seen something like this? Any other solutions to knowing for sure if the Go Pro is on? the sound is tough to hear in the plane..

I must say I have seen this a ton at our local DZ. Almost seems like the contacts to the SDcard are just not that rigid for high vibration situations. As far as making sure you get the shot, the contour seems to be a lot more reliable and easier to make sure the camera is recording. It would be interesting to see if putting a few mils of film on the top side of the SD card would help prevent this from occurring on the GoPro.

(Disclaimer: I sell both cameras so I just want to make sure people get the right camera for themselves. There are Pros and Cons to each)
HYPOXIC

Here's a sample of what I've been getting out of my HD Hero glove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u7J_i2FZNc

I haven't seen a handcam image from a CX100 that I feel matches the quality of the image from a HD Hero. The wide lenses for CX100s are ok in the middle, but fuzzy to the outside of the frame, with a fisheye ring around the image.

So far this HD Hero cam has about 150 jumps on it, passed around to 8 different jumpers over the last 2 months, always mounted to a glove. We haven't had any issues with it yet (knocking on wood). The only annoyance I've found is the inaccuracy of the batt indicator. It'll appear fully charged when you pick it up, then die several minutes later. As long as I charge it after a few jumps it's ok... just don't trust the indicator ;)