roostnureye

cx100 vs xr500

hi everyone i am looking for opinions on the sony cx100, i am considering purchasing this camera but i have heard mixed reviews as far as image stability. the other option i have heard is a much better choice is the sony xr500. any reviews on either of these cameras would be great, thanks everyone!!
Flock University FWC / ZFlock
B.A.S.E. 1580
Aussie BASE 121

Search for the CX100 info, there are only about 500 threats on it and how many people are jumping it.

The xr500 is a hard drive camera, did you read the readme at the top of this forum where it talks about hard drive cameras?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've had no image stability problems with the CX100.
Any camera with a hard drive is NOT an alternative for skydiving. Hard drives don't work with the fast pressure changes involved with skydiving.
Save yourself a lot of hassle and just go out and buy the CX100.

The xr500 is a hard drive camera, did you read the readme at the top of this forum where it talks about hard drive cameras?

On the XR500 you have the option to record on either HDD or Memory card so I don't see why this camera shouldn't be considered as an option.

On the XR500 you have the option to record on either HDD or Memory card so I don't see why this camera shouldn't be considered as an option.

Then by all means go out and jump one.

B|B|B|

ciel bleu,
Saskia

>Seriously, how is recording to memory card on the xr500 any different to
>recording to memory card on the cx100?

1) Camera is turned on at altitude
2) Heads crash; HDD is damaged
3) Camera reports error and shuts down
4) Much unhappiness ensues

@ Billvon, thanks for the info. I think I'll be sticking with the CX110 and GoPro then.

My thinking was that the HDD is just another type of media like the Memory stick and the camera doen't require it for start-up (like the CX's) and given the drive isn't in use, the heads would be parked off the disk so no damage could happen. I have a bunch of XR's laying around so might experiment.

>I have a bunch of XR's laying around so might experiment.

If you have a bunch of extra ones it couldn't hurt. You might get a lot of videos out of it before it has problems. Note that even at altitude the hard drive will _usually_ start up and run OK, and if it reaches a state where the hard drive powers down and parks its heads, then it becomes less of an issue.

The big problem with hard drives at altitude is reduction in aerodynamic forces that keep the heads flying above the disk. Secondary problems are greater problems with cooling (generally not a problem in skydiving) and static electricity (which is a problem.) However, people use laptops and desk PC's as high as 18,000 feet during mountain climbing, and they generally work - just with a much higher failure rate.

We use them in a more abusive environment, of course.

Ok, Thought I'd experiment with removing the HDD from the XR to use the camera as a CX... It doesn't work. After removing the HDD and powering up you get an overheating error message and as such can not use the camera even though it's set to record on memory stick. Was worth a try though.

Ok, Thought I'd experiment with removing the HDD from the XR to use the camera as a CX... It doesn't work. After removing the HDD and powering up you get an overheating error message and as such can not use the camera even though it's set to record on memory stick. Was worth a try though.

I don't know what kind of hard drive it is, but if you could find a compatable flash drive (much like newer laptops are being offered with SSD's) and replace it with one, you might be on to something.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I don't know what kind of hard drive it is, but if you could find a compatable flash drive (much like newer laptops are being offered with SSD's) and replace it with one, you might be on to something.

Capital Idea!
A 1.8" SSD with a ZIF connection (like the KingSpec SSD) should do the trick since the XR500 uses a 1.8" Toshiba HDD with a ZIF connection. They seam to be readily available on ebay. I'll purchase one next week and try it out.

Capital Idea!
A 1.8" SSD with a ZIF connection (like the KingSpec SSD) should do the trick since the XR500 uses a 1.8" Toshiba HDD with a ZIF connection. They seam to be readily available on ebay. I'll purchase one next week and try it out.

Let me know how it works out.;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

There should be a lot of info in the internetz about switching HDDs in cameras for SSDs. I'd google for a SSD model that is proven to work with your camera (sony seems popular to modify, so you should find some info), then see if any additional work is needed other than just unplugging old drive and plugging new one.

If sonys HHDs don't have any crappy code to check for disk manufacturer/installer, then you should be just fine.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

If sonys HHDs don't have any crappy code to check for disk manufacturer/installer, then you should be just fine.

I've seen enough electronic devices to know that most big names don't enforce any kind of checking. What happens if the supply from that mfgr runs out, and they need to replace some components for a warranty repair? Makes less sense in the big picture.

I purchased a 16Gb 1.8" Kingspec SSD with ZIF connector that's used in some of the Sony Mini Viao laptops. It was only $42 on ebay. As soon as it arrives I'll plug it in to the XR500 and let you know how it goes. If all is well I might go for something a little bigger only problem then will be finding a Black Box to put it in.

I've seen enough electronic devices to know that most big names don't enforce any kind of checking.

You should see [url=http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/12/apple-restricts-hard-drive-replacements-on-new-imacs-2/]some more[/url] of them. Vendor-lockin is the current trend, making sense or not.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne