Psychonaut

PC109

So after reading numerous threads here it occurs to me that the PC109 might be somewhat of an outdated camera; most threads were in 2004 ha.

Does anyone still use one?
I'm looking for a first camera, so nothing that needs to break the bank nor look phenomenal; would it still do the job?

Does anyone have any videos they could link me to that were shot with the PC109?

Blues
Stay high pull low

I hear GoPro HD is kickass for its pricetag... nothing phenomenal, doesn't break the bank and there is a lot of buzz around it on these forums.;)

I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

I'm still jumping my PC109 until it breaks. Just just need a good lense and it will do the job (depending on the job).
This video was taken with mine and my wife's PC109:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTXSnGvD69E

so if you are fine with SD quality that should be ok.
blues,
Marcus

That video is way better quality then a few I stumbled upon, they all seemed way more low quality and grainy..

Do you have quality settings maxed out in that video? Or are you toning them down a bit for the sake of space?
Stay high pull low

It's *almost* impossible to know anything about a camera based on what you see on Youtube. Most people don't understand compression and how to get it to Youtube with quality.
Therefore, what may have been a quality image to begin with looks terrible on Youtube, and what may be a terrible image to begin with looks reasonably good once compressed and resized.
DV is DV, which is what the PC109 is. Same exact quality as the HC40 and later series.
IMO, I can't imagine anyone starting out starting out with DV anymore.
Please fill out your profile?

IMO, I can't imagine anyone starting out starting out with DV anymore.
Please fill out your profile?

I understand youtube isn't the best judging tool, as most people aren't the most technologically advanced.. Do you have any footage that would represent the camera better?

As for me (I'll get to my profile when I have a little more time..) I am approaching 50 jumps; I don't plan on flying a camera until well passing 100, however I am just trying to think a few steps ahead as I am looking at a helmet thats box is made for a 109.
Stay high pull low

youtube has nothing to do with "technologically advanced."
It's highly compressed footage using Flash technology.
With DV at 13GB per hour, it can't be used as a streaming source. Either way, if you're concerned about quality, YouTube isn't going to provide an answer. If you're determined to buy a helmet that will fit a 109, then buy a 109 and accept the limitations that accompany it.
No, I don't have a better means of showing off the camera; haven't shot DV for several years. Perhaps someone can send you a couple of seconds if it makes a difference. The cam has been discontinued for at least 5 years, so bear in mind, you may be buying a helmet designed for a 109, and you'll struggle finding 109's that work well, and/or are repairable.

youtube has nothing to do with "technologically advanced."
It's highly compressed footage using Flash technology.
With DV at 13GB per hour, it can't be used as a streaming source. Either way, if you're concerned about quality, YouTube isn't going to provide an answer. If you're determined to buy a helmet that will fit a 109, then buy a 109 and accept the limitations that accompany it.
No, I don't have a better means of showing off the camera; haven't shot DV for several years. Perhaps someone can send you a couple of seconds if it makes a difference. The cam has been discontinued for at least 5 years, so bear in mind, you may be buying a helmet designed for a 109, and you'll struggle finding 109's that work well, and/or are repairable.

That's the kind of info I was looking for, thanks!

And I just put out the technological term to keep it short. I know a bit about what happens; I plan on running my own site sometime, but then again, most people don't care about the loss in quality and just want to post to youtube.

Are there any newer cameras by chance that would fit in the same box a 109 does by luck?
Stay high pull low

I don't plan on flying a camera until well passing 100 200

Fixed your mistake there ;)

He could live outside America? (Of course it's impossible to tell due to the lack of profile info) but here in South Africa our skydiving body only requires 100 jumps before jumping a camera.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I don't plan on flying a camera until well passing 100 200

Fixed your mistake there ;)

He could live outside America? (Of course it's impossible to tell due to the lack of profile info) but here in South Africa our skydiving body only requires 100 jumps before jumping a camera.

Check the profile, I'm in the US ;)

And I am fine with waiting until 200, it's a great benchmark (even when considering that it's specific to each person)
Stay high pull low

no need to rush into buying a camera. Just wait a couple of hundred jumps and see what's on the market. I would only buy a PC109 when I get a 2nd hand helmet for it. Unfortunately the size of cameras are very different. Also a proper wide angle lense makes a big difference. Replacement for a broken old camera is hard to get.

Rather than buying a camera, invest your money in jump tickets.

blues,
Marcus

no need to rush into buying a camera. Just wait a couple of hundred jumps and see what's on the market. I would only buy a PC109 when I get a 2nd hand helmet for it. Unfortunately the size of cameras are very different. Also a proper wide angle lense makes a big difference. Replacement for a broken old camera is hard to get.

Rather than buying a camera, invest your money in jump tickets.

blues,
Marcus

You don't even want to know where I've been slacking to spare some money for jumps B|

May sound like a dumb question, but often times a helmet can be as much as the camera. Do most people find the helmet, and THEN find the camera? I guess in most cases you can find any box you need and mount that to your helmet so I'm going to say obviously the helmet?
Stay high pull low

If I would buy a new setup, I would buy the latest camera which is mostly used in skydiving and then get the helmet. If you want to buy 2nd hand you don't have a lot of options.
Typically there are not that many cameras around which are used by the majority of jumpers. It is good when another jumper can give you tips with the camera or even lend you a battery or a charger.

blues,
Marcus