SimonBones

About to hit checkout button...

So after my car got broken into and my Rebel XT w/Sigma 15mm lens was stolen, I'm in the market to buy a new camera and lens. After reading around the forums, I think I'm settling on the Rebel XSi and another Sigma 15mm lens. Before I commit and hit the checkout button, I figured I'd get some feedback and see if anyone has any alternative suggestions.

Or maybe just some encouragement. Kissing lots of money away here.

If anyone objects to this union, let them speak now or forever hold their peace...
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Hey Boner!

How much are you paying total, if you don't mind me asking? Make sure you get a good deal and go through a reputable site. Check slickdeals.net for hot deals... I got a pretty good one on a T1i recently but it was a lot of work that involved buying an extra $450 printer to make it a combo deal, getting a $400 rebate, and selling the printer on eBay for $200, which in the end dropped $150 off the price of the T1i. Canon has rebates pretty regularly.

Nothing wrong with the XSi though, I'm not sure what the differences are other than a few pixels, but I know a lot of people use them and love them.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Just purchased an XSi after waffling between the T1i and XS for awhile. Both the XSi and T1i use the same sized CMOS sensor. From what I could gather reading camera reviews, by packing more pixels onto the same sized sensor you will have more noise in certain situations.

I am far from a DSLR expert but I felt that unless I really wanted the video option the XSi will do well for me. I ended up picking up the Kit with the 18-55 lens and the 55-250 lens for $625.
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

From what I could gather reading camera reviews, by packing more pixels onto the same sized sensor you will have more noise in certain situations.

From what I remember on my XT, you could turn down the size of the photo. I wonder if doing that would reduce this noise. I'd be willing to sacrifice an Mp or two for a better pic.

But screw that cheap lens shite. I still have a couple non wide angle lenses around that weren't in the bag that got stolen.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

I hear you on the cheap lenses but this is my first DSLR and I couldn't stomach the sigma price tag. I will certainly upgrade after I pay off the current set-up. (and replace my aging HC90 and build my CCM and...)
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

Nothing wrong with the XSi though, I'm not sure what the differences are other than a few pixels, but I know a lot of people use them and love them.

Only thing I dislike about the XSI is the fact Canon went to SD card. SD cards are fine. They work great. But the XSI has a flimsy door covering the card. If the cover pops open, there's a switch that turns off the camera... which of course sucks in freefall. Sure, all you gotta do is gaffer tape it in place, but I never needed to do that with canon's CF card covers. After about 300 jumps my XSI door's latch got loose & started popping open. After about 450 the bottom part of the hinge on that door broke. I'm not very hard on my camera either.

ok! i've always been superpleased with customer service and delivery times at B&H! when i got my 500mm it took four days from order was placed until it arrived at my door! Pretty good for such a large item!

Their prices are pretty good to! saved $3000 on that as opposed to getting it retail here!