skydivebb

NTSC Editing to PAL format

I have complete real time setup (NTSC) for editing. This setup is getting moved to a region with a lot of world visitors. I know there is a difference in NTSC and PAL. Is there something I can add to this real time editing setup so that I can accomidate the PAL users of the world? Professional instructor but amateur editor so please be specific if you can help.
Facebook.com/SeamlessRigging

If I'm not mistaken I believe they are hooking their camera's into like a radioshack audio mixing board with a mp3 player for music and going straight out to a Sony DVDirect MC5 Multi-Function DVD Recorder RDMC5.

Now, even though the camera is NTSC, if they were to buy a PAL format DVD burner... would that work? or do they need to purchase a video mixing board capable of doing NTSC and PAL and then how would they burn it?

Equipment in possession: Sony HC20 (ntsc) & MC5 burner... What else do they need to be able to give out a PAL product for european customers?

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Unless you want to drop huge bucks on a multi-format board then you need to get a PAL camera and a PAL DVD burner. The PAL DVD burner will not see valid input from the NTSC camera directly. In this case you have a dumb board that is only dealing in audio so its out of the picture since you aren't even doing titles, fades or anything nice via the board.

Honestly the better long term solution is to move to a computer based editing solution like Vegas, Premiere, Avid, etc since all the major programs will be able to handle either format of footage and can export in either format after completing the appropriate resizing/pull downs. Not to mention Analog output is dead and tape will be dead really soon so you need to get with the program to do solid state/flash card editing. The flash card based cameras do not support remotes anymore so the old days of using a remote to do the slowmo/playback is over.

Computer editing give the option for custom titles, fades, etc on the fly too.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Honestly the better long term solution is to move to a computer based editing solution like Vegas, Premiere, Avid, etc since all the major programs will be able to handle either format of footage and can export in either format after completing the appropriate resizing/pull downs. Not to mention Analog output is dead and tape will be dead really soon so you need to get with the program to do solid state/flash card editing.

Absolutely. (small caveat, Avid doesn't do format conversion without expensive plugins).
Premiere, Vegas, Edius, Ulead Movie Factory can all do conversions.

Unfortunately it is as I suspected Brad.. :(

I guess you're either going to have to put that new laptop of yours to work... or just tell them NTSC is their only option, however, that's going to cut out A LOT of work.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Yep sorry about that my only experience with AVID has been dealing with a broadcast engineer that bitched about it the entire time due to it not handling AVCHD at the version he had.

Vegas is great for the price, if you want to spend a lot more but to do a lot more you can look at Adobe but its a LOT more expensive to purchase and harder to work with.

Bit of warning, the conversion process between NTSC-PAL is pretty render intensive so don't expect super fast turn around times with the projects. Your better option if you insist on using an old analog board is to buy new gear if you can still find any for the project. Its a primitive solution but its an option if you don't want to do the videos on a computer.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I sorta doubt Avid will ever handle AVCHD, but it might happen.
The reason for the long renders is that not only does each frame require recompression, but it also has to calculate motion between 60fields to 50 fields per second. that's a lot of motion compensation and requires a lot of cycle time.

OMG

so many naysayers!

a quick look on B and H produced this:

standards converter

it stands to reason that you could use your current NTSC camcorder and setup, do the edit as normal, feeding the output into the converter and having the converter set to output PAL

then you just need a PAL DVD recorder

you can get some models, I know Panasonic made one, that records in NTSC or PAL, whatever the input signal is

having said that, I have never actually used a device like the converter linked, but I cannot see why it would not work for you, maybe someone else can

cya

There are a couple differences, but they both relate to speed and quality vs ease of use.

Card-based=super fast Xfer times
Quality of downconvert=superb/true to source

Converter system transfer=real time/1:1 transfer time
Converter system down convert=generally not true to quality, and resolution loss is *generally* enhanced, resulting in a softer image, oversaturation.

Yet a hardware convert is *easier.*

Faster, better, cheaper pick two?

IMO, you worry too much.
I guess nowadays at least 90% of TV/DVD combinations in Europe can play NTSC DVDs without problems, and the remaining 10% are located at Grandma's houses (and they usually don't do tandems...).
And computers don't care about TV standards anyway, so there's always a way to play the disc.

No.1 reason NOT to be an astronaut: ...You can't drink beer at zero gravity...