ryan_d_sucks

GoPro Mounts

Hey. Can anybody post some pictures of how they mounted their GoPro Hero to their helmet? I have only seen a couple of them mounted in real life. I've seen some online, but not a lot. Did anyone use anything other than the mounts that Go Pro provides with the camera? Also, is type of helmet important? I'm going to order a new helmet soon, and I'm trying to consider whether or not I will be able to mount the camera on it before I buy.. I'm considering helmets like Rawa, the ozone, the aviator, and other similar openface helmets.

Thanks a lot.

I am getting my HD Hero in the mail tomorrow and my camera helmet should arrive on Friday. I got the Bonehead Optik and when I mount it, I can let you know how it worked out.

I have seen a few guys at my local DZ (Zephyrhills, FL) with them and it's a pretty straight forward deal. Just use the 3M tape it comes with and slap it on the top. Then, just position as necessary.

I say this now of course before I even have mine but still, it looks pretty straight forward from what I have seen :)

James

Talk to the S&TA or manager at Zhills before jumping or mounting it since the USPA recommendations are 200 jumps to jump a camera, even this type of one.

This is a side effect I hate with these cheap cameras is that no one bothers to look up the recommendations to jump one anymore :S

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Talk to the S&TA or manager at Zhills before jumping or mounting it since the USPA recommendations are 200 jumps to jump a camera, even this type of one.

This is a side effect I hate with these cheap cameras is that no one bothers to look up the recommendations to jump one anymore :S

On that "cheap" camera note.... um it seems to me they are around the same price of a traditional camera and are HD. Are they really that shitty? I'm considering one myself.

Thanks Eric
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Where can you find a "traditional" camera for 250.00? Sign me up.
They're not great. For the money, they're good.
And I have no doubt that they'll be responsible for a number of incidents in the very near future.
A lotta low-time jumpers talking about them everywhere I turn.

Let's hope none of the incidents are too serious, cuz it's not an "if" but a "when."
Already seen one incident that involved a small cheepy cam.

All my camera helmets are @ the DZ or I would post a picture of how i mounted it. For hop and pops and cool opening shots, you can mount one of the 4 mounts towards the crown of your head. This is also good if you are on the base of a big way formation and want to "see"/debrief what is going on behind you. People present during the 108 world record know about this too well. For normal mounting, put the 3m tape mount on the forehead. The adjustments is enough to get slightly behind u and in the other extreme get a view of your feet in head down dives.

They do sell a tripod mount but I haven't had a chance to mount it on one of my helmets. This thing takes a 1/4" tripod bolt and converts it to the gopro swivel clamp. This will be better for more permanent mounts but totally "ties" the camera in, which may or may not be a good thing. Even though I have some, I want to test it out and make sure it's kosher before I sell any to the general skydiving community. I'll probably just sell those locally to people i know and trust.

As DSE and everyone else has said, talk to you're S&TA, camera guru, local head honcho, person you respect @ the DZ first! Seriously guys, please be careful with these, they are not toys!... I should figure out how to put a jump number input field on my order page but positive people will just lie anyway. Sigh....
HYPOXIC

Ditto on what Eric said about jump numbers...here's how I mounted mine. I wanted a removeable setup so I wouldn't have a plastic bracket blocking my stills mount. I ended up sacrificing an old bogen QR base. I stuck the gopro sticky mount onto the bogen and then attached the bogen to my flatlockbase with a simple nut/bolt.

Where can you find a "traditional" camera for 250.00? Sign me up.
They're not great. For the money, they're good.
And I have no doubt that they'll be responsible for a number of incidents in the very near future.
A lotta low-time jumpers talking about them everywhere I turn.

Let's hope none of the incidents are too serious, cuz it's not an "if" but a "when."
Already seen one incident that involved a small cheepy cam.

Well close anyway :P I figured these to be about $300.00 and a "good" camera $500.00 but I am not a video guy and do not know so let's just get that out of the way.

Also, on the note of low jump numbers..... I don't have a lot but I am not a sub 100 jumper either. I want to get in to video but am looking at this option to start off. I would say at about 300 jumps for me. I do want to know what those whom are experienced think about that? I know USPA suggests 200 but I tend to be a bit more cautious. I really was thinking about this for video with others and working on freefly 2 ways.

I also wonder with how this camera is (more exposed) does it have more of a snag hazzard than a traditional camera in a cookie case that has rounded edges?

By the way my local instructors/experienced think I am just fine skill level wise to work in to video so yes I have talked to them.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Low number idiot, wearing a cam against the advice he rec'd in this forum and on the ground, diving exit and was focused on "what the cam was seeing" and slammed into someone else. Both quite bruised. Both are lucky it didn't go worse.

The issue with wearing a cam is 10%snag-hazard and other physical safety related, and 90% about mental acuity, experience, and muscle memory factors.

They're worth what they cost. They're not as good as a cX100 (for the nth time in the GoPro threads). Others find this to be the case as well. Compression is greater, and lower bandwidth.

They are a significantly greater snag hazard out of the box. you can make it less so with effort.

I think the main draw, at least for me anyway, was how easy they are to attach and use. I owned a HC-40 but never jumped it because I never got around to mounting it to the uncomfortable camera helmet I bought for it.

With the gopro, just slap it on any old helmet and go.

It's 3m VHB tape. Its different than normal double sided tape that you would find in hardware stores. Super strong when pulled apart but not to hard to peel off. This is my mount these past two days when testing out some modes of operation/settings :-P Not for everyday use....
HYPOXIC

i have mine mounted to my soft hat after a little testing the tape wasnt strong enough on the leather so i glues it on with some aquaseal (urethane clear wetsuit glue) and tie the corners down with lockwire. have one mounted on my forhead and another on the crown for lookback shots.
I also tried to mount one on my dirtbike helmet but buggered up the alignment and when i went to take it off it tore the paint off and cause i was out of tape i decided to 5min araldite it on seems strong enough and i cant rip it off by hand do you guys think araldite will be strong enough

It's 3m VHB tape. Its different than normal double sided tape that you would find in hardware stores. Super strong when pulled apart but not to hard to peel off. This is my mount these past two days when testing out some modes of operation/settings :-P Not for everyday use....

wot do you prefer, the contour or the go pro?
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

Here is my first try with a Bonehead mud flap altimeter mount and a little velcro and some shock cord just in case the velcro didn't hold. This is a pretty safe way to mount a gopro. This is what you get video wise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmkZlPjs1W4
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

it looks like there are few types of kits with different mounts: Helemt Hero, Hero Naked etc.:S Which one should i choose for a shot like this? I mean, is the Three-Way Pivoting Side Arm Assembly necesary for this angle shot or i can get away with Naked Hero mount?
Thank you!
P.S. if i had that number of cameras on my helmet i would do some Red/Cyan 3D videosB|