The111

Any way to polish a lens?

On both of my lenses, after years of use, there are lots of blemishes... not so much scratches, but more like "dots" probably from impact with particles.

On my SLR, I have a UV filter to protect the expensive lens, so I will just replace the filter.

But on my CX100, I have a Century .55x with no filter, mainly because I don't think I can use one there (?)... but also it's a relatively cheap lens, so if I have to replace it, it's not the end of the world. And also scratches/imperfections don't really show as much in video as they do in photo.

But, I was wondering if there is any way to polish the Century .55x front surface to remove the imperfections, without damaging the lens? I seem to remember having this conversation with Spot once but now I can't remember...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Sebum/nose oil and a microfiber won't work?
The coatings are fairly fragile. You might want to take it to a camera repair shop to have them refract it and see if the blems are through the coating. If it's engine oil-caused, it may well be through the coating.[:/]

I have used Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish on non-coated lenses with great results. It is a very light abrasive and even works on plastics. I have even used it to clean CD's up with.

I use it to keep my sunglasses polished, as well. Just make sure the lense is non-coated.

For future reference I put a UV filter on the front. I believe it is a 43mm size. Whether or not you want to put a filter on a $100 lens is up to you but if you can extend the life why not.

Hmm, for some reason I had concluded long ago I couldn't use a filter with it, and had come to take that for granted. Guess I was wrong. Damn.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com