EVOL

CX100 Wide Angle Lens Equivalency

My dz is making the switch to HD next season for tandem videos. It took me quite a while and lots of combinations of equipment to find a good still/video lens combo.

I was using a 17mm still lens with a kenko .43 w/ step-up ring on a pc-109.

I am planning to buy a CX100 and I can't seem to find and equivilant lens to the .43 for the CX100.

Anyone out there with a similar setup that has found an equivalent option?

-OR-

If you are doing tandem videos with a CX100, what lens are you using?

Cheers!
EVOL

Do you have any fogging issues with that? I currently have been jumping a Sony PC330 with a cheap Ebay lens and have never had any fogging issues. But I was reading on here about tons of people having major fogging issues with Raynox lenses..

I just found a barely used cx100 on amazon for $299 so I snatched it up, but am now contemplating lenses. Was not sure whether I wanted the Raynox 3035 or the 5050 - I currently use a .45 on my current camera and its wide without being fisheye. I wasn't sure how fisheye the smaller Raynox lens would look. And in researching it I came across the fog issues..

So this is what I'm looking for:

A lens which matches similarly to a .15 or so on the Canon 10-22 still lens
Not crazy fisheye - don't want to make the tandems look funny
Not prone to major fogging issues

Which lens would be best? Anyone? I do live in Central Texas where we do have clouds and humidity. My current setup NEVER fogs - I'd love to replicate that. And its just a cheap $30 Ebay .45 lens

How bad is the fogging issues on the Raynox?

Looking around, that lens is twice the price of the Raynox at Adorama... Its a lot of cash for a lens.. I just have always jumped cheap lenses with no fogging issues so wonder whether its worth spending all that extra money.

Do you have any fogging issues with that? I currently have been jumping a Sony PC330 with a cheap Ebay lens and have never had any fogging issues. But I was reading on here about tons of people having major fogging issues with Raynox lenses..

I work in a pretty humid climate and I've had very, very little fogging on either of my lens's. I don't swap or remove either though during the day and even during the week many weeks. I've found that helps to cut down on the fogging that I've gotten in the past.

How bad is the fogging issues on the Raynox?

Looking around, that lens is twice the price of the Raynox at Adorama... Its a lot of cash for a lens.. I just have always jumped cheap lenses with no fogging issues so wonder whether its worth spending all that extra money.

Can't answer that with any degree of authority. I jump both the Century and the Raynox, and have no issues with either. Water drops from being near a cloud from time to time, but fogging has never been an issue for me in Florida, Texas, or California. I'm told I"m very lucky.

I have both the Raynox .3 and the Century .55. I bought the Century to replace the Raynox as the fogging was ruining too many tandem videos. The century may not be as wide, however it is much smaller and lighter, and has great IQ...The century .5 would be another good option.

How bad is the fogging issues on the Raynox

I got fogged video a few times with the raynox .3 but this was mostly in conditions my nikon lens fogged up too, ie, wet clouds - eh haze, so not really the raynox' fault. I am thinking about glueing a filter to the raynox though to help prevent the fogging up in one of our airplanes in the summer (this one doesn't have airco) that happened a few times last season, quite annoying :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

How bad is the fogging issues on the Raynox

I had bad fogging on the .3 and .5 Raynox. Pretty much every jump. I honestly couldn't see much difference with the .3 it didn't seem that much wider than the .5. The .5 though can be fitted with a filter though and ever since i have had no issues at all.

I'd suggest go .5 if going raynox and add a filter.

I am thinking about glueing a filter to the raynox though to help prevent the fogging up in one of our airplanes in the summer (this one doesn't have airco) that happened a few times last season, quite annoying :S

Hi Saskia! Hope you're well?
I did this - i used a 72-77mm step up ring (dremelled out a bit) which then fits over the end of the lens and glued. No more fogging! It was fogging up all the time here in the UK

As a slightly different take on the stills I'm using a Tokina 10-17mm at the 10 end in portrait and it works well - i've attached a few from this weekend
http://www.garywainwright.co.uk

Instagram gary_wainwright_uk