DSE

Slo-mo tip on the cheap

We all use slow motion from time to time, and unless you've got AE with a plug like Twixtor, it's difficult to make really good slow motion.
However, there are some techniques that can be applied for better slomo, and I've created a FASST tip to show you how.
Better SloMo

This technique works in most editing software. You just need to be able to shift media by half a frame. Not all tools allow this.

if you don't mind half and quarter resolutions, it's pretty good, yes. Smooth slow is nice. But limited to 3,6, and 12 seconds, with a nasty hit on resolution. This feature is marginally improved on the CX100, but it's been around since the HC3 and earlier.
If it were remotely trigger-capable...it would be very useful. More useful would be the ability to record standard speeds and then trigger SSM when you want it. The buffer system would never allow this to happen.
If you want great slomo in camera, use something shooting 60p

thanks for the tip DSE.

What do you think to some of the new tech in cameras like the Casion EX-F1 that shoots at 300/600 fps

Example footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o6RXKEokFU

I'm sure you pay in res, but some of these guys are uploading pretty good footage shot in high fps on youtube.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I keep hearing good things about the Casio cams. At that speed, resolution almost becomes secondary. And it's sustainable, which is pretty impressive.
60p is the fastest we can shoot in-house; if I could find anything that is remotely close to the resolution of 1080, I'd take it on the spot. Otherwise, it's renting Phantom, or using half-assed tricks that work surprisingly well.

Friend of mine had one of those for trial and he mostly shot in freefall with it.

After the trial he decided not to buy it though. If I remember right the main reason was the optics. You cannot change optics on this camera.

Personally I would guess 60fps in skydiving is enough for most use.. Not much use for any faster than that I guess, since most of the times theres nothing interesting happening that fast ?

Friend of mine had one of those for trial and he mostly shot in freefall with it.

which camera do you mean?

After the trial he decided not to buy it though. If I remember right the main reason was the optics. You cannot change optics on this camera.

do you mean additional wideangle lens?
becouse EX-F1 has threading for lens. and i am very happy with it.
my pictures

which camera do you mean?

Casio EX-F1

do you mean additional wideangle lens?
becouse EX-F1 has threading for lens. and i am very happy with it.

I mean that there is no way to change optics. Ocfourse you can strap a wide angle converter there but thats not what you want from a good camera.

In addition the sensor in this camera is 7.18 X 5.32mm so the cropfactor is about 5x FF. So much for the use of nice FOV and so much for finding a quality optics with such a high resolution that delivers for such a small sensor. (even if changing optics was possible)

IMO the revoluionary feature with this camera is the 300-1200 fps, but at those speeds the resolution is poor and no where close to HD. So if you MUST be able to shoot 300fps this camera might be a good comprmise, but if you dont really need that High speed feature, then there isnt much this camera offers in addition.

Personally I dont see a reason why I would need to shoot 300fps in freefall on the expense of picture quality..