Peej

What do you cover in your camera briefing?

As the more senior camera jumpers on our DZ we're often asked to give junior jumpers who fulfill the jump number requirements a camera briefing before they go up. I have a few things that i normally cover but just wanted to get a feel for what you guys throw in to make sure i'm not leaving anything out.

I normally have a look at their helmets and talk to them about possible snag points. What to do/what not to do on opening. RSL's. The use of camera wings/ when to start using them. What jumps they ewant to film when they should start filming inside camera/ two way/ four way/ tandems and so on.

Is there anything else that i'm missing here?

Your input is much appreciated.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Peej !!! how are ya'???

don't forget the simple things...which include...

Prepare for camera jumps,, before you even GET to the DZ..
Batteries charged, including a back-up
adequate space remaining on flash cards and/ or tapes..
IF using Tape... be sure it NOT still cued up to the start of the LAST jump, or somewhere OTHER than at the point where you want the NEXT jump to begin...(can sometimes happen, if you were viewing the footage the night before..) .
Altimeter zeroed, Audible set, and of course cypres or vigil... ON

more tips,, from the next posters....

jmy

I see you cover equipment selection, and jump selection, but I would put some time into covering jump preperation.

For example, their camera helmets should be fully prepped and all camera set on the ground before they gear up. Once the camera helmet is prepped, put it down and forget about it while you prep yourself with rig, jumpsuit, altimeter, etc.

Likewise, in the plane the camera helmet should be checked and donned well before the two minute call. Once that is done, forget about it, and revert to your normal pre-jump gear checks.

You have to remember that the distraction of the camera is one of the key problems with newer camera flyers, so having a plan to compartmentalize and deal with the distraction is essential.

I would also pay some attention to audible altimeters. On every other jump, they are a back up device there to assist the wrist mount, and the jumpers eyes. On a camera jump, they become a key player in the dive flow. You can't look at a wrist mount, and while you might be able to eyeball the ground on some camera jumps, newer camera flyers should keep their eyes on their subject to maintain safe proximity.

Audibles should be set to go off above the break off of the slydive, keeping the camera flyer ahead of the game so they know what's coming.

Another area would be how they should conduct their own camera briefing with their subjects. How will the climbout and exit count be set up? What about the bottom end? Where is everyone going to be tracking and pulling?

I think the big picture is that these guys know zero about flying a camera slot. There's a fair chance that they'll be filming their buddies who know zero about jumping with a camera flyer around.

Guys this is the exact info i am looking for.

@ Dave - thanks dude, some very valuable info there. To be honest i hadn't thought about some of the stuff you mention. I've developed my own system for compartmentalizing over the years but hadn't thought to get into that with them. Thanks again.

@ Jimmy - howzit bro! I'm great thanks dude :)

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Camera flyers should add one thing at a time to their jumps. Tell me what you plan to add today and we can talk about the specifics of that one thing.

This evening after jumping, we can discuss where you are going and some of the broader topics of what a camera flyer needs to know.

Tomorrow, we can discuss the specifics of the next thing you would like to add to your camera jumps.

A good over all briefing is great, but I think new camera guys need a bit of mentoring. I also believe that the specifics of each skill and piece of equipment that they will be using is way more than they can consume at one time.