Graiki

Flash..

Hello friends.
I have a sony a100 DSLR camera and shot some photos with flash of the machine itself. But I would like to buy an external flash, or something better. You who have experience can help me and advise me? I have 2 lenses, the 18mm, and a Peleng 8mm (180º). What is the best profile for that? Flash or light? What brand? What store? thanks.
:)Graiki

Will a Canon 580EXII interface with a Sony Alpha camera directly? I know all the TTL features will not work due to the differences in the pin outs but that really shouldn't matter in a situation where its running in manual.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Canon 580EXII is my choice.

Hey DSE, can you recommend some good reading on flash do's and don'ts? I really want to get that exact flash, but before I shell out the $$'s I want to do my home work and have a better understanding of how it works, how to make the best use of it, etc. I.e. I want to learn how to use it before I add one to my helmet and start jumping it. :)

What is the best profile for that? Flash or light? What brand?

You mean a continuous light source vs. flash ?

Basically this is the only realistic option for freefall in terms of continuous light sources.

About flashes, for example Nikon SB 26 is good value. (maby aroung 90 bucks.) try ebay or something..

You wont need to worry about the pins matching up the hot shoe of the camera. You wouldnt want to wear the flash in the hot shoe anyway B|

The more expensive Flashguns offer ETTL and some other functions, but you wont really need them in freefall IMO.

Couple of features you should look for:

-High speed sync (canon) or FP (nikon) is a bonus if you dont want to only use the Sync speed of the camera.

-The faster the recycle time the better. (however when compairing statistics among different flashguns remember that the more powerfull ones take longer to recycle untill full power simply because they need to charge more power. Therefore you cannot directly compare just the seconds to 1/1) Also the possibility of using external battery pack is a bonus.

-Decent amount of power (guide number)

You mean a continuous light source vs. flash ?

Basically this is the only realistic option for freefall in terms of continuous light sources.

I disagree. I wear a hot light all the time, and use it for high sun and sunset. Often I use it in lieu of a flash, although it's nowhere near as intense. It does a good job, as seen in the exit shot backlit by the sun. It's half the weight of my 580, so if I can use it vs the 580, I'm happy to do so.

Ok thanks for the info.

I heard some ppl have been using those for video. I always thought they were kind of weak compared to a flash and only contribute some light when shot from a close distance or inside the plane.

Maby they are not as bad as I thought ?

They ARE weak compared to a flash, no doubt. But as you can see in the backlit shot, they aren't nearly as weak as some say they are.
They are GREAT for filling in that "double chin" shadow a lot of people get at noontime with the sun so high, and also good for filling in a face when the TI is over top of them or when the sun just isn't at the right angle for good lighting. It also smooths the contrast of a harsh shadow on the face, but it's not nearly the power of a flash, either.
But they *do* work well. I very much like mine.

Thank DSE and friends. The panel looks good, but I would have to have money to buy them.
I'll get a flash similar to 580 for sony alpha. From what I understand, I can use any kind of angular. I can adjust the power, distance and angle of the flash light.
It must be expensive, but should be a good buy.
hugs...

Dumb question -

In the tandem picture you reference, wouldn't a reflector work even better? A plain old white jumpsuit is probably going to give you more reflected light than most electric lights.

During a 4-way a while back we had a videographer flying around getting some unusual angles. She was under us just before we hit a wispy cloud, and the lighting was superb, even though we were nearly eclipsing the sun.

That takes AC power or the use of an 8 pack of AA bateries. For that weight you are looking at being able to carry a 580 EXII flash with weight to spare again.

Ah yes, I missed that part. I've been reading a ton on the strobist blog, I had no idea. I'm really thinking I just need to invest in the 580 and start playing anyway.

If you use the included 240 VAC transformer, it would take a LONG extension cord to power the thing.

Thanks Monkey, that made me laugh pretty good. :D

Dumb question -

In the tandem picture you reference, wouldn't a reflector work even better? A plain old white jumpsuit is probably going to give you more reflected light than most electric lights.

During a 4-way a while back we had a videographer flying around getting some unusual angles. She was under us just before we hit a wispy cloud, and the lighting was superb, even though we were nearly eclipsing the sun.

If you can fly well, reflectors are great. Mike Michigan/Sandberg used to make a suit with reflector material buillt right into the wings. I have one. The reflective portion has mostly worn off. Camera flyer must be on their back or in a laid back sit to properly angle the sun.
I just ain't that good, and so....I use a broad hotlight with a 100 degree dispersion. Cheap, light, and lets a guy with lesser skill get the shot.

Back to your question, yes. A big enough reflector on the suit of the person flying camera will absolutely kick back more light, but also remember the Inverse Square law and width of field. Applies to lights too, but gives a dummy like me some latitude.

I'm really thinking I just need to invest in the 580 and start playing anyway.

If it's any help, I can think of at least 3 world renowned skydiving photographers that rely on the 580 for their skydiving flash needs.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

are you sure the canon HSS isnt compatible with Sony alphas ? According to the specs the alpha has High speed sync function. But it could be it only works with sony flashes..

Anyways, I definetly agree with you. With the 580 you are paying for a lot of features you dont really need in freefall, such as the Master via IR...

I would be quite surprised if any features like high-speed sync would work cross-platform. If you want any special features such as high-speed sync, TTL metering, auto-zoom etc. you would either have to use a flash from the camera manufacturer itself, or a third party flash such as Sigma or Metz that is made for the specific camera you are using. Otherwise you are manual mode only, or flash metering alone. I can't see spending the money for a 580 unless you have a Canon camera.

-The faster the recycle time the better. (however when compairing statistics among different flashguns remember that the more powerfull ones take longer to recycle untill full power simply because they need to charge more power. Therefore you cannot directly compare just the seconds to 1/1) Also the possibility of using external battery pack is a bonus.

+ 1 on the external batter pack.
An external battery pack will make a huge improvement in recycle time of the flash.

This is the one that I use.
Quantum Turbo 2x2.
http://www.qtm.com/?page=3121&qmode=c

I simply wear a weight vest under my jump suit and clip the battery pack to the front of the vest, zip the jumpsuit up over the battery, and run the cable up the neck of the jumpsuit and to the flash. The routing of the cable is such that if I ever have to cut away the helmet, the cable will pull easily out the top of the battery.

+ 1 on the external batter pack.
An external battery pack will make a huge improvement in recycle time of the flash.

This is the one that I use.
Quantum Turbo 2x2.
http://www.qtm.com/?page=3121&qmode=c

I simply wear a weight vest under my jump suit and clip the battery pack to the front of the vest, zip the jumpsuit up over the battery, and run the cable up the neck of the jumpsuit and to the flash. The routing of the cable is such that if I ever have to cut away the helmet, the cable will pull easily out the top of the battery.

Are these little battery packs really ~$400?!? At 3.5lb, I can understand why you where it on a vest. I may have to just stick with the flash and regular batt's for a while until I can make an upgrade like that.