playgroundguy

Ideal complete setup?

Here, this [URL "http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1324044;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;"] thread[/URL] will give you lots of insight into the many varied setups that folks here are jumping...

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Here, this [URL "http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1324044;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;"] thread[/URL] will give you lots of insight into the many varied setups that folks here are jumping...

Yes. Before I built my first helmet I literally saved every single picture from that thread to my desktop and looked at each on in detail.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The thread that was refereed to is a really good starting point. First thing you need to do is decide on the video camera and if you want to jump stills also. Those factors will help shape the choices from there. If you decide on certain video cameras then they are better suited for top mounting instead of side mounting. If you want stills then you need a helmet that can mount the still camera correctly.

What is your end goal of flying video? Just screw around footage of you and friends? A GoPro might be the ideal solution and could mount anywhere. Higher end footage that can be used to debrief 4 way? You want to look at a Sony camera. Footage to sell to tandems? Might need to look at HighDef. From there you need to decide on a sills option.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'd start out with the cheapest used system that you can find that fits you. Like a rig, it's a bad idea to buy new up front; you're likely to trash it and probably will discover things about it you won't like anyway. Get a cheap used tape-based system and fly with it a lot. Get used to climbing out and exiting with it, figure out distances and angles, try different lenses and settings.

After a few hundred jumps you'll have some strong opinions on what you like and don't like about the system, and will be in a good position to plunk down serious money for a good system that will make you happy for a long time.

I would recommend reading through the above mentioned thread backwards as it spans about 5 years and some of the stuff at the beginning may be irrelevant (unless you decide to buy a used setup to begin with, in which case some of those older configurations may be similar to what you'll be shopping for.)

This is going to sound funny, but the only thing ideal about my setup.. is my helmet.

My ideal setup is different for whatever I want to do.

If I film tandems, my ideal setup is my TRV17 (I cant part with it cause it just wont break) and my 20D
If I film something else.. my ideal setup is "something else"

Sometimes its my HC-1
sometimes its my 40D
sometimes its my 40D with 1 flash
sometimes its my 40D with 3 flashes
sometimes its my 40D + HC1
sometimes its my 40D + HC1 + super 16mm film camera
sometimes its an EX1

etc...

All these options are NOT available to me if I don't have the right helmet.. so my recommendation is there.. figure out what you want to film.
If you are just going to film tandems, or just film your friends, you might pick a different helmet / camera combo compared to wanting to go professional... etc..

and as the others said, read the other thread..